Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booking partner only cash flights on United.com / app

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2023, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
Archive file: Will UA issue ticket (016 ticket) w/ partner airline only, no UA/UX flight on itin?

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA in general has stopped offering itins with no UA operated flight, codeshares or JV flights, Asia, Europe, ...
This has gradually been occurring for years and accelerated with "no change fee" decision.
The IATA also passed a resolution discouraging plating / ticketing flights without a carrier operated flight.
Additionally, many partners have instituted plating restrictions that effectively blocks many routes / fares UA used to offer.

These actions related to cash tickets, award tickets have not been affected
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2022, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP

What's the latest on this? Pre-covid I ran into the occasional agent who insisted that there must be at least on UA segment on the ticket, but it seems now every agent is insisting on at least one UA segment?

(Trying to book SQ metal which doesn't come up on united.com searches)
Old Mar 10, 2022, 1:21 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by c1mth0g
What's the latest on this? Pre-covid I ran into the occasional agent who insisted that there must be at least on UA segment on the ticket, but it seems now every agent is insisting on at least one UA segment?

(Trying to book SQ metal which doesn't come up on united.com searches)
IATA cracked down on off-plating some time between 2015 and 2020 (though some airlines are still willing to off-plate JV partners). I know it was after United introduced PQP, since folks were trying to plate LH/LX on 016/UA to get more PQPs for intra-Europe fares. You need at least one UA or UA* segment on the ticket.
Old May 23, 2023, 6:48 am

Using an FFC to book partner-only-operated flights

Hi all,

Infrequent UA traveller here (note the British spelling...)

I have a future flight credit. The United website says:
These credits can be used to book travel on United, United Express, and partner-operated flights...

However, every time I try and use it for a partner-operated flight, I get told that the ticket must have at least one United-operated leg on it. This isn't published anywhere on UA's website, so I was wondering if anyone else has managed to book a ticket without a UA leg?
Old May 23, 2023, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Virazuno
However, every time I try and use it for a partner-operated flight, I get told that the ticket must have at least one United-operated leg on it. This isn't published anywhere on UA's website, so I was wondering if anyone else has managed to book a ticket without a UA leg?
Yes you can use for partner flights, however that doesn't supersede UA ticketing policy which requires at least one UA marketed flight on the itinerary with the exception of entirely LHG flights, or *A flights where they don't serve the market (and the publishing carrier doesn't have a plating restriction on the fare).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 3:10 pm

Ah, I see. I was trying to book a *A partner serving a UA market - so that explains it.
I can't seem to price up pure LHG itineraries online though. So I guess this must be a call-centre job.
Thanks!
Old May 23, 2023, 3:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Ah, I see. I was trying to book a *A partner serving a UA market - so that explains it.
I can't seem to price up pure LHG itineraries online though. So I guess this must be a call-centre job.
Thanks!
Not all LHG-only flights can / will be booked by united.com or UA agents. What are the origin and destination? Codeshares of LHG flights work better. Intra-europe-only flights are a no, per LHG rules
Old May 23, 2023, 4:01 pm

Not all LHG-only flights can / will be booked by united.com or UA agents. What are the origin and destination? Codeshares of LHG flights work better. Intra-europe-only flights are a no, per LHG rules
I've been trying to book UK/EU-India.

Initially I tried to book Air India (*A), but have failed.
No results show online for LHG either (LH and LX have good connections and fares for UK-India).
I've only asked UA agents to try and book Air India. They can see the flights but then I get a no at payment stage, when trying to use the FFC.
Old May 23, 2023, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I've been trying to book UK/EU-India.

Initially I tried to book Air India (*A), but have failed.
No results show online for LHG either (LH and LX have good connections and fares for UK-India).
I've only asked UA agents to try and book Air India. They can see the flights but then I get a no at payment stage, when trying to use the FFC.
what happens at the payment stage?

I recently had trouble booking a UA/SQ itin to India (SFO-SIN on UA, SIN-BLR on SQ), but appeared to be a fare rule error. I understand that if the partner immediately denies it (the fare class isn’t actually available, for example), it will look like a payment error, even though it has nothing to do with payment issue.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
what happens at the payment stage?

I recently had trouble booking a UA/SQ itin to India (SFO-SIN on UA, SIN-BLR on SQ), but appeared to be a fare rule error. I understand that if the partner immediately denies it (the fare class isn’t actually available, for example), it will look like a payment error, even though it has nothing to do with payment issue.
I can't even book online because the flights don't show up.

By "payment error" I mean that if I try and use the FFC over the phone, I get put on hold for a few minutes, and then told that the itinerary has to have at least one UA leg to be able to use the FFC.
Old May 24, 2023, 12:19 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I can't even book online because the flights don't show up......
Generally if not a codeshare or joint venture flight, you will have a hard time building itins on united.com without any UA operated flights (and therefore unable to used the FFC). And you will find neither for UK/EU to India.

Google flights sometimes works better, but doubt it will help in this case.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 6:47 am

Folks - didn't see a thread on this and google searches were yielding only mileage awards but my question is different. I want to use United to book revenue tickets on other airlines like Avianca. Turns out using FFC has no restrictions anymore but when I called United, they had very poor inventory for Avianca (non-stop flights were not available at all and they show openly available on Avianca's website). My question - which partner airlines share most of their inventory with United? Thank you
Old Jul 5, 2023, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
There are lots of plating restrictions these days that limit UAs ability to sell partner airline flights on 016 ticket stock. You can pretty much always get full fare Y/J etc., but that is very expensive and UA is not trying to be a TA, so even if it is technically doable for UA to ticket partner flights, they usually don't. They will do it when in conjunction with UA-coded flights and any UA-coded partner operated flight is possible on 016 ticket.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
It's mostly fares and plating restrictions rather than inventory... plus you need at least one UA coded flight for UA to want to book the ticket.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 11:49 am

UA prefers UA operated flights, codeshares or JV partners (LH, AC. NH, ...). For other partners that do not have plating restricting, UA may be able to book if there is a UA operated flight or codeshare additionally on the itin. An all partner, no JV or codeshare itin are hard / not allowed to be booked.

Sometimes thru services like Google Flights you may be able to get an expanded list of options bookable on UA.com.
Sometimes calling you can get some partner flights but you need other UA flights and partner flights without plating restrictions (those restrictions may be just limited to discount fares and/or longer non-stops)
Old Jul 5, 2023, 5:19 pm

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
Can someone ELI5 what plating is?

Sometimes thru services like Google Flights you may be able to get an expanded list of options bookable on UA.com.
This is my new go to. I find so many more fares that aren't listed on united.com, often times much cheaper and/or with better routings.. Just booked Singapore and Thailand on all NH/SQ/AC metal for significantly less than the J fares listed on UA, bu still getting my PQPs since it's 016 stock thanks to one leg being a UA codeshare flight number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.