Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Are You Thankful That You Fly United And Not Southwest Yet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are You Thankful That You Fly United And Not Southwest Yet?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
When was the last time UA cancelled more than half the network for multiple sequential days?
Hurricane Harvey comes to mind.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
I worked in PMUA reservations in the early 2000s and experienced the other side of many IRROPS, including SFH 2000. Even if the phone lines were flashing red, it was regular practice to pull agents off the calls to work the rebooking queues. We rebooked on UA first (of course), and then OA, even in F, as the last resort. In 2000, when I was staffed on the phone line for non-status passengers and Premiers (whom PMUA treated the same in regard to reservations), I certainly had rebooked many non-status pax in F on another airline as a matter of standard policy. (Before the advent of complimentary upgrades, last-minute F inventory was always plenty.)

Now that airlines have reduced reservations staffing in favor of online booking, I don't know how proactive and to what extent the airlines can be to automatically rebook pax in OA, without needing the pax to call in, during massive IRROPS. But that practice still exists, and it's a differentiator from WN.
yes, with PMUA, interlining occurred regularly. today? i would say the record shows not so much, to the point i am not sure it is a really a material service differentiator.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Tuesday: Southwest has cancelled over 2,500+ flights today. The next closest: Spirit with 83. They are on track to have 99% of all airline cancellations on Wednesday (87% Tuesday).

Flipping thru channels - On CNN, caught the Southwest President of the Pilots Association actually make a direct to UA as I paraphrase: United has about the same size operations in Denver as Southwest and they weren't even close to the meltdown Southwest has had.

Anyway - I'll fly other airlines such as AA, HA, DL, etc - but I personally skip Southwest not because of this meltdown - but no F, no E+, no assigned seating, etc are all dealbreakers for me. I've booked friends on Southwest meeting me somewhere because of schedule/price and I don't recall previous issues.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by prestonh
yes, with PMUA, interlining occurred regularly. today? i would say the record shows not so much, to the point i am not sure it is a really a material service differentiator.
I can neither agree nor disagree, because perceptions often don't reflect reality. OA protection is a thankless perk offered by the major carriers, and it could happen much more frequently than we presume. Other than here on FT, someone who receives a "PROT OA" probably would not be tweeting to the world, "I'm glad I booked with (*insert your villain airline of the day*), because they protected me on another airline." More likely, you'd get "I'll never fly that villainous airline again; I could have just flown that (*insert your savior airline of the day*) all along."
SPN Lifer, LAXOGG and Santander like this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 1:17 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I was thinking another issue compounding recovery is that WN flies only 737s; in the past, when UA has had major disruptions, they've repositioned widebodies to run replacement sections and get people out more quickly. I've been saved on more than one occasion when the A320 or 737 cancelled and the next day UA added 777s to the route to get pax moving.

No ability to do that with WN, and even if they had larger a/c available in their fleet to sub in, their typical aircraft utilization patterns would make it hard to do so effectively.
SPN Lifer, wrp96, ZenFlyer and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by zeus2120
Total meltdown indeed. I am a big Southwest fan and hope this wakes them up to modernizing their backend IT infrastructure. Imagine if United could just improve their ground and inflight customer service to Southwest levels. United would be firmly rooted as the number 1 option. I think it's getting better as more of the older employees retire and are replaced by youth -- but I'm based in CLE and all I get are the very rude dinosaurs. I flew Jet Blue for the first time a bit ago and it made me appreciate how good United actually is.
Obviously you have more experience with UA's CLE ops than me, but the ground staff at CLE have been incredibly helpful to me whenever I've been in a bind.

But I agree with OP - UA has always tried to get me where I need to be, even if it means on AA.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 1:38 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
I was thinking another issue compounding recovery is that WN flies only 737s; in the past, when UA has had major disruptions, they've repositioned widebodies to run replacement sections and get people out more quickly. I've been saved on more than one occasion when the A320 or 737 cancelled and the next day UA added 777s to the route to get pax moving.

No ability to do that with WN, and even if they had larger a/c available in their fleet to sub in, their typical aircraft utilization patterns would make it hard to do so effectively.
Not sure how they use it operationally, but those domestic 777's flying around doing hub to hub sweeps probably does help.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Well I recently cancelled a refundable AS ticket due to the awful reports from cancelled flights to/from SEA and the only way I could get from BNA is via a connect in SEA.
Booked a "backup" non stop on WN the day before an international flight from LAX but will be looking at the situation mid January! My sister's father in law was a WN captain before retiring a few years ago. WN is never my first choice despite that. I just desperately need to get to LAX on 1/16 before my other flight on 1/17 to OZ!
Hope to see how weather impacts me at my location before I cancel WN and/or rebook. As of now I am on AA on an award ticket from BNA in F.
Sad that I have to strategize so much post Covid but it is what it is!
Old Dec 27, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
I am an old curmudgeon who would rather eat ground glass than fly Southwest! Have avoided them for my 40+ years of working!
eng8ge likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Oh, my rule of thumb is only fly southwest on flights under 50 minutes, anything above that is a mistake.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Santander
Obviously you have more experience with UA's CLE ops than me, but the ground staff at CLE have been incredibly helpful to me whenever I've been in a bind.

But I agree with OP - UA has always tried to get me where I need to be, even if it means on AA.
Maybe I can chalk my experiences up to a select few check-in agents. The only time I interact with them is at 4:45am so..maybe they're just waking up
Santander likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 2:49 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by itripreport
Oh, my rule of thumb is only fly southwest on flights under 50 minutes, anything above that is a mistake.
I'd rather drive. I've had enough of those flights on WN turn into 5+ hour ordeals.
SteveOh likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: *
In life you generally get what you pay for.

Always amuses me when I see all those posts that we should all go free agent and use kayak to select the cheapest flights for our travel. I know I will be told that extreme weather and such disruptions are so rare as to influence day to day choice of airline, but so are car accidents and we still wear our seatbelts everyday. If it costs me 1500 dollars in cumulative incremental ticket costs a year to fly United and achieve a useful elite status, then I would do that any day over being found in a Southwest plane...the cost of the time wastage and inconvenience avoided (plus the incremental benefit you get in IRROPS when booked on UA) will exponentially justify the incremental spend made to avoid likes of WN and B6.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: Still trying to use my Continental OnePass miles...
I dunno. I was delayed 2.5+ hours FLL-IAH yesterday because of a missing FA only to land at IAH and not have a gate for 20 minutes. Not very impressive.

Last edited by correction; Dec 27, 2022 at 4:10 pm
Old Dec 27, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K , Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Point to point flights on the west coast are fine with South West but I never fly them anywhere else. Their network is just too flaky to handle storms of any kind. Plus they got next to nothing for international, so why bother spending your money with them. I can piss and moan about UA just as much as the next guy but they have always got me home.
janehoya and Abhishek Amit like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.