FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]
And earlier
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Policy change? January 2020
United is no longer proactively offering vouchers to customers on flights delayed fewer than six hours, according to a message sent to employees.
Now, for delays between four and six hours, employees will decide what compensation to offer and theyll only give it after customers ask for it, according to the memo. United agents can share compensation through a mobile app on their airline-owned iPhones.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- All others: Customer Care or email [email protected].

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website ?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintain a 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY.

Miles are likely to provide greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

For those whose paid travel is usually covered by their employer and their personal travel is via awards, then miles might make more sense.
For those who have paid travel they personally pay for and that travel fits within the restrictions of ETCs, then ETC might make more sense.
For those seeking status, ETCs can be used to fund that travel and earn PQMs, RDMs, and PQDs (ETCs do not reduce the PQDs). Award/mileage travel does not earn mileage.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have an EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

11. If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread

Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:41 am

I want to emphasize that I didn't come here seeking information. My intention was simply to share a report on my success and the events leading up to it. I am genuinely surprised to be assigned blame for something that, in my opinion, was poorly handled by another party.

Originally Posted by jsloan
... did you explain that to the other people with status who were waiting in line in front of you? "Sorry, I know you also have status, and you were waiting here too, but the whole point of status is that I should not have to wait in these lines."
The purpose of those lines is to optimize and save time for frequent travelers. However, they're worthless if there's no actual advantage.

I never claimed superiority over anyone in line or attempted to jump ahead. What I will emphasize is that any agent handling a 'Premier Service Line' should exemplify extra graciousness and helpfulness, not rudeness. They are the face of the company, catering to the most frequent clientele.

Sure, that makes sense. United hides that information well, what with it being printed in giant letters on the boarding pass. Also, you point out that the flight was "over an hour later."
I just want to clarify that I did not have a paper boarding pass. I just had the Mobile App open, and I did not look at the pass at all until I was on the plane and looking for my seat number. I was horrified when I realized I had a middle seat.

Nobody is saying UA provided good customer service. But to demand compensation for... long airport lines and only having middle seats available feels a little DYKWIA to me.
The reality is, I was in line at the designated time. The Premier Access Line should have been adequately staffed with more than three agents. It's frustrating to be denied entry for being just four minutes late when I reached the front of the line. To add to the frustration, having confirmed upgrades through Paid Plus Points, only to be reassigned to a middle seat for a 5-hour flight without formal notification, is truly outrageous.

Not only was the supervisor in baggage rude, but she also seemed to think she was doing me a favor just by engaging in conversation. We all deserve and should demand better service than that.
friedablass likes this.

Last edited by FlyingM; Dec 18, 2023 at 11:50 am
Old Dec 18, 2023, 12:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
That's pretty much exactly the advice that I get -- and routinely ignore -- from United and from my local airport. But, yes, you arrived late.
For a domestic flight? I believe I read that airlines recommend 2 hours for domestic and 3-4 hours for international flights. (I, like you, routinely ignore this - when I have no checked bags it's never been an issue and only once with checked bags was it. We missed the Delta cut off for checked bags by 9 minutes and we were a party of 5 all flying in paid F so they cut one passenger off the reservation and he went on the next flight with the bags, the rest of us made it on to the original flight.)

I honestly don't think that if someone doesn't arrive at least 3 hours prior to a domestic flight, then they are considered to have arrived late even if they have checked bags. Just my personal opinion on this particular point with no bearing on if the OP was due compensation or not.
FlyingM likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by friedablass
For a domestic flight? I believe I read that airlines recommend 2 hours for domestic and 3-4 hours for international flights. (I, like you, routinely ignore this - when I have no checked bags it's never been an issue and only once with checked bags was it. We missed the Delta cut off for checked bags by 9 minutes and we were a party of 5 all flying in paid F so they cut one passenger off the reservation and he went on the next flight with the bags, the rest of us made it on to the original flight.)
I get emails from the Austin airport warning of increased crowds and suggesting arrival 3 hours prior to the flight on a pretty regular basis. Regardless, if the OP had been at the airport two hours ahead of the flight time, there would have been no problem either.

Personally, I would have gotten to EWR with my bag 47 minutes prior to departure, looked around in shock, and resigned myself to finding a new flight. At no point, though, would I have blamed United.

Originally Posted by friedablass
I honestly don't think that if someone doesn't arrive at least 3 hours prior to a domestic flight, then they are considered to have arrived late even if they have checked bags.
They are late if they didn’t get to the kiosk before the bag-check cutoff. If the line is 6 hours long one day, they’re late if they only arrive 5 hours prior to the flight. It is what it is.

Originally Posted by FlyingM
I am genuinely surprised to be assigned blame for something that, in my opinion, was poorly handled by another party.
No offense, but I am unsurprised by your surprise.

The purpose of those lines is to optimize and save time for frequent travelers. However, they're worthless if there's no actual advantage.
How long was the regular check-in line?

I never claimed superiority over anyone in line or attempted to jump ahead.
No, of course not. That was my point: your statement that the point of status is not having to wait in line is clearly hyperbole at best.

What I will emphasize is that any agent handling a 'Premier Service Line' should exemplify extra graciousness and helpfulness, not rudeness. They are the face of the company, catering to the most frequent clientele.
I don’t disagree with that. On the other hand, counterpoint: Newark.

I just want to clarify that I did not have a paper boarding pass.
You walked away from getting rebooked without a paper boarding pass? I don’t know that I’ve ever seen that happen. Usually airline employees print everything almost as a matter of course — unless, I guess, the agent rebooked you using the check-in machine?

The reality is, I was in line at the designated time.
There is no designated time to be in line.

The Premier Access Line should have been adequately staffed with more than three agents.
Not disagreeing here, either, but you had 40 minutes in line to evaluate other choices, given what you could clearly see was happening.

It's frustrating to be denied entry for being just four minutes late when I reached the front of the line.
I recently checked a bag about four minutes late for the last flight of the day at BWI. I was prepared to plead my case and even sign a delivery waiver, but the agent was kind enough to take my bag, as well as that of the other person who found herself in the same situation. I appreciated that very much. However, if he had refused, I would not have been angry at him. I would have cursed traffic and my decision to get a late start, and maybe the route I took to get to the airport. I’ve also been on the other side of this, where an agent refused to make an accommodation for me. Four minutes is late — or they’d make the cutoff 41 minutes.

To add to the frustration, having confirmed upgrades through Paid Plus Points, only to be reassigned to a middle seat for a 5-hour flight without formal notification, is truly outrageous.
You allowed the agent to make the change without giving you any additional information about it, then didn’t even go into your app to look at what had been done. If the agent told you that you had an aisle seat, I guess I’d have understood the frustration — I was really angry earlier this year when AA pulled my exit row seat and gave me a non-MCE middle seat instead, then lied to my face and told me I’d never been in the exit row. But it was the lying that made the difference.

Not only was the supervisor in baggage rude, but she also seemed to think she was doing me a favor just by engaging in conversation. We all deserve and should demand better service than that.
Agreed. Also, Newark.
SPN Lifer and RobOnLI like this.

Last edited by jsloan; Dec 18, 2023 at 12:25 pm
Old Dec 18, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: *
There are multiple examples where this is not necessarily the case as, even with good intention and planning, the passenger demand and staffing levels can be mismatched at different times. For example, there are times the precheck line is slower than general TSA line - you can see this objectively in airports like LGA that display projected time in each line. Or I learned recently on this forum (and found to be true) that at EWR it is usually quicker to use ordinary precheck than CLEAR precheck. At LHR quite a few times I have used the general check in as opposed to Polaris check-in, or general screening as opposed to fast track because the lines much shorter or move quicker. That something is exclusive doesn't mean it is always better - hopefully often better but certainly not always.

The reality is, I was in line at the designated time. It's frustrating to be denied entry for being just four minutes late when I reached the front of the line.
I bet you this has happened to almost everyone here ( except the few who comply strictly with advice to be at the airport 3 hours prior to flight). It is part and parcel of being a frequent flyer and taking chances. Like you, I don't like sitting around airports so will often turn up 1.5h pre departure. But part and parcel of that strategy is an acceptance that one will occasionally get burnt and miss the check-indeadline by minutes or seconds - can be traffic to the airport, a long check-in line, unhelpful agent etc. But that is part of the game and a price one has to be prepared to pay for 'living dangerously '. And one has to be aware of the consequences and weigh them in deciding how much risk to take. For example, if the last flight of the day or I had a PP upgrade and knew other flights were packed I would probably turn up 2 to 2.5h early. Otherwise, should be prepared to accept the consequences of the choice we made - its really almost always our fault and not that of the airline whenever we miss check-in.
jsloan and friedablass like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 2:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Appears the constructive point of discussion of the bag line wait at EWR has been passed and the discussion is no longer about compensation -- the thread topic.

Time to move on, no last words

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 4:00 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Seeking advice: ask for more compensation?

Hi FT users,
I want to seek your input. In October, I (*A silver through Air Canada) and my companion (no status) were delayed overnight (13 hours) flying YYC-DEN-MCI. My companion and I missed our connection in DEN due to a mechanical delay as we were departing YYC. (The pilot made a PA saying that the bleed value on engine 1 was indicating an error. After going back to the gate and resetting the system, we were cleared for departure but arrived into DEN 3 hours late.) We were provided with overnight hotel at AmericInn and four USD 15 food vouchers.

Today, I submitted a request for compensation to United, asking for CAD 1000 cash, citing Canadian APPR (similar to EU261). United Customer Care responded within hours (much appreciated) and issued each of us USD 200 electronic travel certificate. Customer Care cited "the delay was needed to resolve a mechanical issue for safety reasons." A part of me want at last CAD 500 cash but another part of me is satisfied, seeing that we were given a hotel room and food vouchers. What do you think?
Old Dec 19, 2023, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by fbrdky
Hi FT users,
I want to seek your input. In October, I (*A silver through Air Canada) and my companion (no status) were delayed overnight (13 hours) flying YYC-DEN-MCI. My companion and I missed our connection in DEN due to a mechanical delay as we were departing YYC. (The pilot made a PA saying that the bleed value on engine 1 was indicating an error. After going back to the gate and resetting the system, we were cleared for departure but arrived into DEN 3 hours late.) We were provided with overnight hotel at AmericInn and four USD 15 food vouchers.

Today, I submitted a request for compensation to United, asking for CAD 1000 cash, citing Canadian APPR (similar to EU261). United Customer Care responded within hours (much appreciated) and issued each of us USD 200 electronic travel certificate. Customer Care cited "the delay was needed to resolve a mechanical issue for safety reasons." A part of me want at last CAD 500 cash but another part of me is satisfied, seeing that we were given a hotel room and food vouchers. What do you think?
https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/publicatio...ations-a-guide.

Canada rules allow airlines to escape compensation if "within airline control but required for safety", and seems like UA did the other mandatory stuff (take care of you overnigh, hotel/transport/food). Did they find alternative transport on other carriers?

You can ask for additional info on the safety reason, but from your initial report, probably take the 200ETC. Any separate travel insurance?
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 10:25 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Originally Posted by paperwastage
https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/publicatio...ations-a-guide.

Canada rules allow airlines to escape compensation if "within airline control but required for safety", and seems like UA did the other mandatory stuff (take care of you overnigh, hotel/transport/food). Did they find alternative transport on other carriers?

You can ask for additional info on the safety reason, but from your initial report, probably take the 200ETC. Any separate travel insurance?
No other transport was offered. I didn't check if any other fights would get me to my destination that night either.
I could've claimed credit card flight delay insurance but had no out of pocket costs. In hind sight, I should have stayed at the Westin in DEN (and claimed CC insurance) and not accepted UA's free night at a dumpy AmericInn.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 1:38 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Hats off for trying..... at least I appreciate the efforts

Recent DEN-OGG
1) upon boarding, was told the back-seat IFE was broken - but the app entertainment was working
2) 90 minute (or so) delay due to several technical issues (these 777 coffin class birds are getting old).
3) hour or so into the flight, announced that the power outlets werent working (hmmm - see #1)
4) catering never loaded the 2nd meal (let's not discuss the horrible first meal in BF)

response by UA:
prior to taking off, got $150 (2 separate emails) if inflight credit for the IFE not working
snack box choice in BF for a second meal - that's all they had left

at least everyone, FA, etc was friendly about it.......

at least they recognized the issues and tried to make everything right

seemed like a reasonable response?

-m
Old Dec 21, 2023, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
The flight attendants are supposed to check the meals prior to departure. If they had done that, they would have noticed the second meals missing, and could have gotten them (or something else) from catering during the 90-minute delay. Inexcusable.
IAH-OIL-TRASH likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 5:21 pm

Programs: Mariott Ambassador - United 1K
SFO - SIN 11/24 - UA29 - 11h delayed

Hi,

The flight is delayed over 11h I am a 1K passenger who booked a paid Polaris ticket. Would it be too much to ask for 600 USD cash compensation - Based on EU rules I would get this based on the rules.

BTW what did United offer till now: no email with initial compensation, no offer to put you on any other flight but I got 20 USD dollar to get a meal at the airport (Seriously has anybody from management ever dined at an airport - Yeah I know I get access to the lounge access but offering a voucher for that amount does not help it makes it worse, it indicates you're not taken seriously as a customer).
Old Dec 24, 2023, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Just interested in what other flight you want United to put you on. You can ask United to put you on another flight if you want. Thats what I do if something like this happens and my search finds something suitable/convenient. The 1K line can be helpful if you have a suggestion on alternate flight(s) that make sense.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by besunman
Hi,

The flight is delayed over 11h I am a 1K passenger who booked a paid Polaris ticket. Would it be too much to ask for 600 USD cash compensation - Based on EU rules I would get this based on the rules.
While you can ask, I doubt you'll get it. The protections in the US are nothing like the EU I'm afraid.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 6:27 pm

As mentioned above, UA has no mandatory compensation for this route

Did you ask to be rerouted? Eg NH has a SIN-HND (2-9pm)and hnd-sfo (11pm -2pm).

UA 29: Members of your crew have worked the maximum number of hours allowed by the FAA, and we also need to assign your flight a new plane due to technical issues. Right now, we expect a 10:30pm departure. If this changes, we'll keep you updated. We're sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your continued patience.

Last edited by paperwastage; Dec 24, 2023 at 6:35 pm
Old Dec 24, 2023, 6:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by besunman
....The flight is delayed over 11h I am a 1K passenger who booked a paid Polaris ticket. Would it be too much to ask for 600 USD cash compensation - Based on EU rules I would get this based on the rules. ...
As mentioned, this was not a flight covered by EU rules. As a 1K expected $200+ ETC plus if overnight, lodging

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 24, 2023 at 7:05 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.