Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United forced to suspend JFK service due to expiration/lack of slots, end of Oct 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United forced to suspend JFK service due to expiration/lack of slots, end of Oct 2022

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:52 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I had not seen that anywhere. Only thing I recall seeing was that a 24 domestic F layout had been released for the MAX 10, but if there’s a link otherwise would love to see it!
Sure thing! Of course, most seem to be blogs, so take it for what it's worth -

https://community.infiniteflight.com...max-10s/407183

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...h=37bea0cd267c

Even on FT - Speculated 737-10 / MAX10 lie flat seat plan

There's plenty more too, if you want more to read - I googled "United max 10 lie flat"
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 12:09 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
TPG is reporting today that the suspension has now been officially confirmed in internal company communications:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...ng-out-of-jfk/
Old Sep 30, 2022, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Without getting into a mess, this is probably for the best.

Last edited by Repooc17; Sep 30, 2022 at 12:32 pm
Old Sep 30, 2022, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by dw
TPG is reporting today that the suspension has now been officially confirmed in internal company communications:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...ng-out-of-jfk/
Interesting choice of words that they are calling it a temporary suspension. Apparently the discussion with FAA is still ongoing, just not at a pace that is going to enable them to remain in JFK for the time being as other airlines resume use of the slots UA has been utilizing.

Last flights appears to be the inbound flights on 10/29
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA
I imagine that once the slot rules come back into effect, there will be a number of slots that airlines are currently not using that will be up for grabs. Aeroflot definitely won't be using its slots, at the very least.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
RIP for United at JFK. I doubt that UA will be back at JFK anytime soon; not before they get A321 and/or MAX 10 with flat beds.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by Kmxu
RIP for United at JFK.
❤️❤️❤️

It was a forgone conclusion.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 3:05 pm

Just announced: UA to end service to JFK Airport

Hot off the presses.

United to end service to JFK airport in October | News | Flight Global
Old Sep 30, 2022, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Wonder how "temporary" this is. Are the slots they have "use it or lose it"?

It's not like they offered the best JFK-SFO/LAX service.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
My December 9 LAX-JFK flight was cancelled, so it looks like game over...
Old Sep 30, 2022, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
As much as I liked flying into and out of JFK (I've got a flight next week) it never seemed to be 'permanent' since they restarted - more like one of the pop up United Clubs, a pop up routing, if you will. But at least with the pop up clubs, you had the feeling something more substantial was going to show up soon to replace it. I wish them well and hope they can return in a significant way, but realize that it's a long shot.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 4:59 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Waldofriend
As much as I liked flying into and out of JFK (I've got a flight next week) it never seemed to be 'permanent' since they restarted - more like one of the pop up United Clubs, a pop up routing, if you will. But at least with the pop up clubs, you had the feeling something more substantial was going to show up soon to replace it. I wish them well and hope they can return in a significant way, but realize that it's a long shot.
The other issue they were going to face soon even if they managed to get the slots to stay was the imminent closure of Terminal 7 and finding new gate space.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by dw
The other issue they were going to face soon even if they managed to get the slots to stay was the imminent closure of Terminal 7 and finding new gate space.
Agreed. Part of the issue here: UA is looking for many slots, which was never going to granted by the FAA anyway. While I applaud UA for wanting to compete with the big boys at JFK, it had already made its bed.

UA's play should be taking back those 40 slots from Delta when eligible (no idea when), and make a splash re-entry, properly.
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Agreed. Part of the issue here: UA is looking for many slots, which was never going to granted by the FAA anyway. While I applaud UA for wanting to compete with the big boys at JFK, it had already made its bed.

UA's play should be taking back those 40 slots from Delta when eligible (no idea when), and make a splash re-entry, properly.
I highly doubt there is any way for them to reacquire them, short of paying Delta a king's ransom.

In the interim, I do hope they up the frequencies on EWR-SFO/LAX, as they have downsized that post-pandemic and not brought it back up to the level it was previously (if I recall, they were running EWR-SFO 12x daily at some point).
Old Sep 30, 2022, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17

I thought the slots to DL was a permanent sale.
They shot themselves in the foot then and now the other.
As I do not travel to NYC except to transfer to another international flight (on separate tickets) looks like DL will be my main carrier and I will rebuild my Sky Peso account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.