Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United forced to suspend JFK service due to expiration/lack of slots, end of Oct 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United forced to suspend JFK service due to expiration/lack of slots, end of Oct 2022

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
The population of Long Island is about 8 million which is significantly more than northern New Jersey. It helps explain why JFK has such a strong inherent market.
For international, absolutely... looking at 2018, EWR was doing less than half of JFK. They were probably a little closer during the pandemic, though JFK still has a considerable edge there, which is structural. But domestic O&D (based on 10% sample), EWR actually had a slight edge, about 8.9mm originating enplanements vs. 8.0mm at JFK. Most of that is attributable to within-perimeter spillage from JFK to LGA, but it still speaks to the strength of the EWR catchment.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Neither are “most” Northern New Jersey, Long Island, Westchester, etc. But some important Brooklyn neighborhoods are, especially for those that may be flying from LA.
Nassau County - #10 wealthiest county in the USA
Hunterdon/Morris/Somerset Counties - # 13/14/15 wealthiest

So yeah, I'd say those regions (NNJ, LI) are wealthier than most.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Nassau County - #10 wealthiest county in the USA
Hunterdon/Morris/Somerset Counties - # 13/14/15 wealthiest

So yeah, I'd say those regions (NNJ, LI) are wealthier than most.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
For clarification, those are median income stats. Wealth is something different and probably harder to gauge.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
For clarification, those are median income stats. Wealth is something different and probably harder to gauge.
Indeed, but fairly indicative of well-to-do areas. Living here, I'd concur with that list.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 11:33 am

Tiny hope for UA to take advantage of this policy, may be

The Federal Aviation Administration said in a decision posted Friday that it denied a petition by trade groups Airlines for America and the International Air Transport Association which sought to extend waivers allowing carriers to maintain their slots while many international routes were halted. The waivers expire on Saturday.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...tional-flights
Old Oct 29, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by UAFAM
Tiny hope for UA to take advantage of this policy, may be

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...tional-flights
Do we know how many international carriers haven't restarted their routes yet?

I know DL and B6 would probably like the waivers extended, but I'm certain they'll make sure to use their slots now that the waivers are expiring.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 7:34 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by ty97
Do we know how many international carriers haven't restarted their routes yet?

I know DL and B6 would probably like the waivers extended, but I'm certain they'll make sure to use their slots now that the waivers are expiring.
There are definitely slots not being used by Aeroflot
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dw
There are definitely slots not being used by Aeroflot
-enough to fulfill UA's dream?
-don't other airlines also want them?
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:27 pm

Delta’s Slot Squatting in New York Reaches New Heights

If Delta has a good use for these slots, then great, use them. But what it’s doing now is just preventing other airlines with a better use from getting them, hoping that demand returns eventually. This is not how slots should work.

https://crankyflier.com/2022/10/31/d...s-new-heights/
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If Delta has a good use for these slots, then great, use them. But what it’s doing now is just preventing other airlines with a better use from getting them, hoping that demand returns eventually. This is not how slots should work.

That seems like a smart move on DL's part to me:
1. They've invested heavily in NY, and want to preserve its value
2. All three of those destinations are university cities that have students from NYC

I think the NE Alliance is more anticompetitive, but I'm guessing it will stand.
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 6:51 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Note that there are a lot of slots not being used by mainland Chinese carriers as well as CX, however:

The FAA anticipates there will be a limited number of carrier requests for relief in Winter 2022/2023 based on foreign government-imposed travel restrictions or highly restrictive temporary limitations on flights. The FAA will work closely with OST on any such requests to determine appropriate action based on the circumstances and factors such as reciprocal treatment for U.S. carriers.”

That sounds exactly like they anticipate negotiating with the Chinese carriers for exemptions
Old Nov 2, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM

UA flies from 2 of those 3 cities to EWR.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
But what it’s doing now is just preventing other airlines with a better use from getting them, hoping that demand returns eventually. This is not how slots should work.
Originally Posted by moondog
They've invested heavily in NY, and want to preserve its value
So called "slot squatting" seems pretty much the same thing as a landlord sitting on vacant property until they get the rent they want or it makes economic sense to build-it's just a business decision. USAir did it for years in NYC when they couldn't make more productive use of the assets. Eventually another company believed they could do more, and made a deal to take most of the slots over. Certainly anyone who believes the slots are more valuable to them than they are to Delta can make an offer.

If one is to take the view that these slots are somehow to be managed for the "public good", I suppose it would be fair (however unrealistic) to compensate every carrier for all the investments they've made at these airports and then hold a new auction for the slots and real estate. Otherwise, it seems logical that carriers should be free to work within the contstraints the government has laid out.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Nov 3, 2022 at 8:26 am Reason: gr
Old Nov 3, 2022, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

So slot uses should be based on the merit of the route? Delta can decide on the use of slots however the carrier sees fit.
NYC Flyer and moondog like this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
2. All three of those destinations are university cities that have students from NYC
Nobody is making any money flying university students on short flights.

I'm not saying it's not a good business move for Delta, but they'll lose hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars per flight.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.