Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United forced to suspend JFK service due to expiration/lack of slots, end of Oct 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United forced to suspend JFK service due to expiration/lack of slots, end of Oct 2022

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2023, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
If I was United, and I only have 5 JFK slot pairs, I'd put them all on SFO.
SPN Lifer and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old May 21, 2023, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA
Ok yeah 5x JFK-SFO probably makes more sense than splitting them. Cranky did an analysis where UA's JFK-LAX/SFO fares suffered due to lack of frequency when both were 2x daily, and AA has suffered from weakness on JFK-SFO so UA could probably run them out of the market.
moondog, SPN Lifer and m.y like this.
Old May 22, 2023, 1:10 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by angetenar
Ok yeah 5x JFK-SFO probably makes more sense than splitting them. Cranky did an analysis where UA's JFK-LAX/SFO fares suffered due to lack of frequency when both were 2x daily, and AA has suffered from weakness on JFK-SFO so UA could probably run them out of the market.
Current JFK-SFO weekday frequencies:

DL - 8
B6 - 6
AS - 5
AA - 4
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 4:28 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
UA’s JFK-SFO flying generated better returns than LAX, but the JFK termination did the most commercial damage to UA’s franchise in Southern California. That’s why both came back in 2021, albeit temporarily, and the plan would be to continue to fly both to the extent slots can be sourced.
moondog, SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old May 22, 2023, 2:47 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by moondog
I'm sure it's been discussed at least once during the history of this thread, but since I don't feel like wading through hundreds of threads, I might as well ask:
-if UA were to score ~5 slot pairs at JFK, how would it best utilize them?
-transcon and Europe are the only logical choices as far as I can tell
-and, LAX seems pretty heavily saturated at the moment
-same with LHR
-maybe they would focus on SFO only?
Originally Posted by EWR764
UA’s JFK-SFO flying generated better returns than LAX, but the JFK termination did the most commercial damage to UA’s franchise in Southern California. That’s why both came back in 2021, albeit temporarily, and the plan would be to continue to fly both to the extent slots can be sourced.
I am not a route planner, my wish for UA to return to JFK is purely selfish. I could reliably arrive close to my departure time and never spend much time at check-in or getting through TSA. I heard from someone inside UA that they lost a lot of entertainment industry contracts which were for business/first class, and with that they lost those companies' travel to other domestic destinations. My guess is UA primarily wants JFK to SFO and LAX but they need a competitive number of flights and 5 won't cut it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by uanj
I am not a route planner, my wish for UA to return to JFK is purely selfish. I could reliably arrive close to my departure time and never spend much time at check-in or getting through TSA.
Sadly such ease of use will no doubt become a thing of the past when T7 is decommisioned later this year. No other terminal at JFK offers (or will offer) such convenient in-and-out. Present-day air travel reality dictates massive edifices with huge security checkpoints, enormous retail square footage and long walks, all of which combine to discourage late shows and seamless car-to-gate transition. It makes a compact, user-friendly (if severely outmoded) design like T7 look positively quaint by comparison.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old May 22, 2023, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
T7 has changed following UA's departure, and more importantly, BA/IB's move to T8. CLEAR, gone. Precheck, hit and miss. Separately, a lot of new carriers have moved in, SK, EI on to name a few. At any rate, I no longer plan 5 minute curb to gate any more, when traveling on AS.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 5:35 pm

For the life of me I can't find a United flight to Long Island.

I used to fly to JFK but I guess they don't service that anymore?

Flying from SNA

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 23, 2024 at 6:10 pm Reason: moved to jfk thread
Old Apr 23, 2024, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotscot
I used to fly to JFK but I guess they don't service that anymore?
UA left JFK, then returned, exclusively for flights to SFO/LAX, until they lost the slots again.

UA does fly to LGA.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 5:53 pm

Thanks, may try LGA.

I'm headed way to the other end of Long Island.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Thanks, may try LGA.

United has nonstop service between SNA and EWR. Would need connections to get to LGA [DEN, IAH, ORD].

JFK would be the closest "large" airport to Long Island, AA has a nonstop; others with connections. Long Island has ISP airport, served by MX (Breeze), F9 (Frontier), and WN (Southwest).

Last edited by Repooc17; Apr 23, 2024 at 6:25 pm
Old Apr 23, 2024, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks, may try LGA.

The AA SNA-JFK nonstop would be the easiest. If you wanted public transportation to Long Island, JFK AirTrain to Jamaica, and then LIRR to your destination station.

If you must fly UA, you can take the nonstop to EWR, and then the EWR AirTrain and NJTransit rail to Penn Station New York, where you can catch the LIRR. If you opt for a one-stop into LGA, there's the free Q70-SBS bus from the terminal to the Woodside LIRR station. Of the UA options, the nonstop to EWR would likely be the shortest total travel time.

If you were planning to rent a car, forget about flying into EWR.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
One day, there may be a case study in one of the business courses that discusses United abandoning JFK (one of the most iconic airports in aviation history and the gateway airport to NYC) as one of the business blunders.

Off the topic question ( I am sure it has been discussed before)::
My first ever UA flight was LGA-DEN on a DC-10 more than 30 years ago. Have they banned widebody planes at LGA or is there a distance restriction for flights operated in and out of LGA?
It would be nice to have premium transcon services between SFO/LAX and LGA.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
One day, there may be a case study in one of the business courses that discusses United abandoning JFK (one of the most iconic airports in aviation history and the gateway airport to NYC) as one of the business blunders.

My first ever UA flight was LGA-DEN on a DC-10 more than 30 years ago. Have they banned widebody planes at LGA or is there a distance restriction for flights operated in and out of LGA?
There are perimeter rules in place fr LGA that restrict flights to under 1500 Miles unless they are on Saturday or to Denver.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

LGA has both slots and a perimeter rule generally prohibiting flights over 1500 miles. AFAIK there’s no rule against widebodies there, as long as the runways and taxiways can handle them (a question outside my area of expertise). But helpful for UA, there’s a specific exemption to the perimeter rule for flights to/from Denver, lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.