Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United forced to suspend JFK service due to expiration/lack of slots, end of Oct 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United forced to suspend JFK service due to expiration/lack of slots, end of Oct 2022

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2022, 1:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
.... If United wants to add that much more capacity, is there a reason why they can’t move wide body aircraft to this route instead of the 757?
It isn't just capacity, one flight a day each to two cities is never going to be successful. I'm sure UA knew that from the start but have not been successful getting more slots -- 4 or 5 flights to SFO and the same to LAX is the min it will take to offer viable alternative to competitors.
SPN Lifer, uastarflyer and m.y like this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Exactly, and while additional frequencies might help bring down prices on a premium route, the manner in which United is going about this (give me what I want or I’m taking my toys and going home), along with major construction projects underway and planned for JFK, doesn’t speak well for adding slots now for anyone.

If United wants to add that much more capacity, is there a reason why they can’t move wide body aircraft to this route instead of the 757?
Their temporary slots expire next month so the only capacity that they can add after next month would be bus service to Newark. They could even offer articulated buses for additional capacity
TPACjv likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Exactly, and while additional frequencies might help bring down prices on a premium route, the manner in which United is going about this (give me what I want or I’m taking my toys and going home), along with major construction projects underway and planned for JFK, doesn’t speak well for adding slots now for anyone.

If United wants to add that much more capacity, is there a reason why they can’t move wide body aircraft to this route instead of the 757?
Agreed. There isn't going to be much extra capacity at JFK over the next 10 years, especially with terminals being demolished, closed and reopened in phases, and new terminals being constructed. And that's just on the ground. They also can't just create new approach and departure paths for planes without considering EWR and LGA flight paths, and noise pollution ordinances.

On the equipment front, it seems like the lack of frequency means that having a premium-heavy aircraft isn't viable. I also think there are operational issues, at least with 767s, as they don't have a maintenance base at LAX or SFO for that type, and if flying between JFK and LAX/SFO, those aircraft don't have any way to make it into a broader aircraft rotation (without causing other operational issues). The 777s and 787s may just be too much capacity. Maybe when the 737 MAX-10s come online with rumored flat beds, they will be a more viable option.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 3:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Why are the terms of this lease to DL hidden? Anyone konw how many years?
This is from the DOJ's suit to block the sale:

The lease is long term and automatically renewable, and is intended to effectuate a permanent transfer of the slots to Delta
https://www.justice.gov/atr/case-doc...92471/download

Originally Posted by psusaver
Thanks for the explanation.

Not to take the thread off-track but (to speculate) were West Coast corporate customers influenced by the stereotypes of "New Jersey" (won't mention them but there are some nicknames that arent nice) or was it more of a 'status' that New York is New York whereas "Nay-work" simply didnt sound appealing to them?
In general, when people fly to New York City, they think JFK, not Newark, regardless of how UA brands the airport..
Old Sep 8, 2022, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by PTahCha

In general, when people fly to New York City, they think JFK, not Newark, regardless of how UA brands the airport..
I respectfully disagree. Depending n where they are going and where they've been in NYC they could think of JFK, LGA or EWR.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I think much of the reputation of EWR relative to LGA/JFK has to come from peoples' perception of the airport itself rather than what state the airport is in, or how long it takes to get to the airport.

I know many NYC residents, most of whom who live on the westside, that swear by United and EWR because it is often easier to get to than JFK. JFK is terrible to get to, especially between 4 PM and 7 PM on a weekday and traveling by car (though I think it is actually decently easy to get to JFK during this time period via the E or A subway lines). However, most people view EWR as having bad food/drink/lounge options, being old/crowded, etc. I haven't been to EWR recently and seen any of the renovations, and I don't know if the reputations were ever based in reality, but people think the airport itself is a bit of a dump versus JFK/LGA. From what I can tell, all three NYC airports have seen huge upgrades recently, so this perception may be outdated.
Xyzzy, wrp96 and zzzliner like this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 5:09 pm

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Platinum, Honors Gold
Originally Posted by psusaver
Thanks for the explanation.

Not to take the thread off-track but (to speculate) were West Coast corporate customers influenced by the stereotypes of "New Jersey" (won't mention them but there are some nicknames that arent nice) or was it more of a 'status' that New York is New York whereas "Nay-work" simply didnt sound appealing to them?
As a former SF resident and current Manhattan resident I would say it's more of the psychological factors around flying into/out of the same city as opposed to crossing state lines (even if EWR might might closer than JFK). It doesn't hurt that the taxi fare from JFK into Manhattan is pretty predictable and it's easy enough to grab a cab.

To be honest, since I live in the Lower East Side, I'd much rather fly out of JFK than EWR. I've had enough Holland Tunnel derived anxiety and frustration on both ends to last a lifetime.
uanj and psusaver like this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 5:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PTahCha
... In general, when people fly to New York City, they think JFK, not Newark, regardless of how UA brands the airport..
It really isn't that simple as posted earlier
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
PANYNJ disagrees, with UA and DL in a tie for the area air travel, B6 #3 and AA a distance #4
AA's retreat from the NYC area has been widely written about.
Perhaps more so international but JFK is #3 for domestic, LGA#2 and EWR #1

And a lot dependents of where you starting from / going to.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
It's interesting to me that ual wants space at jfk. Perhaps one of the reasons that is sold out is ual is overwhelming in ewr. They might be a victim of their own circumstance to some extent. Maybe time to do some swapping if they don't want to pay up.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA MM
It really isn't that simple as posted earlier

And a lot dependents of where you starting from / going to.
Don't those rankings include all connecting traffic which would automatically boost EWR's standing? The best metric is share of O/D market, if anyone has it.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by EWR764
I think people are missing the boat on this. The phrase "negotiating in the media" comes to mind.

As an aside, I would expect a number of slots to shake loose post-10/29 once the exemption ends and airlines are once again held to usage thresholds to retain slots (e.g., Aeroflot, Norwegian, Interjet, some Chinese carriers), which United should have a chance to secure. It's also unclear which dormant slots United has been using for its 4 daily arrival/departure pairs.
Is it safe to assume the Aeroflot slots will definitely go un-utilized (by Aeroflot) due to the current Ukraine war sanctions? What happens to those slot assets?
Old Sep 8, 2022, 6:51 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I was swatted down earlier with my focus on LGA, but I think it is important to discuss here

LGA is located in the middle of the five boroughs geographically and is the easiest to get to by car. It’s obvious JFK would be #3 for domestic, because LGA exists

i think United would be even stronger at EWR if it did more business at LGA
Old Sep 8, 2022, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Don't those rankings include all connecting traffic which would automatically boost EWR's standing? The best metric is share of O/D market, if anyone has it.
Plenty of people connect at JFK also. (LGA, less so, but it's still possible on some carriers).

The thread title is really misleading here, and I feel like that's been coloring the discussion. People have correctly pointed out that it's less of a threat than it is an acknowledgement that they're on borrowed time since they haven't been able to get a permanent slot allocation.

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I was swatted down earlier with my focus on LGA, but I think it is important to discuss here

LGA is located in the middle of the five boroughs geographically and is the easiest to get to by car. It’s obvious JFK would be #3 for domestic, because LGA exists

LGA is 11 miles from JFK. There's not even a bridge between them.

By contrast, LGB is 19 miles from SNA, but I don't remember anybody saying UA desperately needs to reintroduce service at Long Beach.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think the DOT should look at leasing out, at a substantial fee, a few slots at LaGuardia that are exempt from the perimeter rule until JFK construction upgrades are complete and new capacity can be evaluated.

Since part of the issue is airspace management, any airline bidding on the LGA slots would need to remove one or more similar flights from their EWR or JFK schedule in order to gain access to the LGA slots.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos

Also fastest by public transport to/from most areas of NYC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.