Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated DXB connections / Emirates (EK) codeshares / logistics / lounges / ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA164 EWR 10:15 PM DXB 7:40 PM next day 772 13 hrs 25 mins Daily (except Sunday 26 March) starting 25 March 2023
UA163 DXB 2:15 AM EWR 9:05 AM 772 14 hrs 50 mins Daily Starting 28 March 2023

United and Emirates Expand Market Presence Through New Agreement
September 14, 2022 Operations

United to launch new nonstop flights between Newark/New York and Dubai starting in March of 2023;

United customers can soon connect through Dubai to more than 100 destinations and Emirates customers can more easily fly to nearly 200 U.S cities through Chicago, San Francisco and Houston

CHICAGO and DUBAI, Sept. 14, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- United and Emirates announced a historic commercial agreement today that will enhance each airline's network and give their customers easier access to hundreds of destinations within the United States and around the world*.

United will launch a new direct flight between Newark/New York and Dubai starting in March 2023 – from there, customers can travel on Emirates or its sister airline flydubai to more than 100 different cities. Tickets for United's new Dubai flight are now on sale.

Starting in November, Emirates customers flying into three of the nation's biggest business hubs – Chicago, San Francisco and Houston – will have access to nearly 200 U.S. cities in the United network – most of which only require a one-stop connection. At eight other U.S. airports served by Emirates – Boston, Dallas, LA, Miami, JFK, Orlando, Seattle and Washington DC – both airlines will have an interline arrangement in place.

United and Emirates announced their agreement today at a ceremonial event at Dulles International Airport, hosted by United CEO Scott Kirby and Emirates President Sir Tim Clark, featuring United and Emirates Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and flight crews from each carrier.

"This agreement unites two iconic, flag carrier airlines who share a common commitment to creating the best customer experience in the skies," said United CEO Scott Kirby. "United's new flight to Dubai and our complementary networks will make global travel easier for millions of our customers, helping boost local economies and strengthen cultural ties. This is a proud moment for both United and Emirates employees, and I look forward to our journey together."

"Two of the biggest, and best-known airlines in the world are joining hands to fly people better to more places, at a time when travel demand is rebounding with a vengeance. It's a significant partnership that will unlock tremendous consumer benefit and bring the United Arab Emirates and the United States even closer," said Sir Tim Clark, President Emirates Airline. "We welcome United's return to Dubai next year, where our hub Dubai essentially becomes a gateway for United to reach Asia, Africa and the Middle East via the combined network of Emirates and flydubai. We look forward to developing our partnership with United for the long term."

Soon customers of both airlines can book these connecting flights on a single ticket – making check-in and luggage transfer faster and easier. For example – travelers will be able to visit United.com or use the United app to book a flight from Newark/New York to Karachi, Pakistan or go to Emirates.com to book a flight from Dubai to Atlanta or Honolulu.

This agreement will also give the loyalty program members of both airlines more opportunities for more rewards: United MileagePlus® members flying on United's Newark/New York to Dubai flight can soon earn and redeem miles when connecting beyond on Emirates and flydubai and Emirates Skywards members will be able to earn miles when they travel on United operated flights. Eligible United customers will also soon have access to Emirates lounges when connecting to and from United's new Dubai flight.

Both airlines have recently announced significant investments in the customer experience. Emirates will retrofit more than 120 aircraft as part of a $2 billion effort that includes elevated meal choices, a brand-new vegan menu, a 'cinema in the sky' experience, cabin interior upgrades, and sustainable choices. At United, the airline will add 500 new Boeing and Airbus aircraft to its fleet with a focus on a new signature interior that includes seat-back screens in every seat, larger overhead bins, Bluetooth connectivity throughout, and the industry's fastest available in-flight WiFi.

* Codeshare activities and United's new flight to Dubai are subject to government approvals.

Originally Posted by TerryK
EK lounge is accessible by passengers seated in UA Polaris only. No UC members, no *G members, no waitlisted for Polaris and no guest.
per UA
Emirates Business Class Lounge
Eligibility
  • United Polaris® business class customers

​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

Consolidated DXB connections / Emirates (EK) codeshares / logistics / lounges / ....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Originally Posted by cricketer
Have to laugh at the last paragraph. Both companies are enhancing. One with amazing new food, interiors, and cinematic experiences, and the other by putting in screens and making the bins bigger.
***By saying they are putting screens***

Don't forget we are over a year in and we've yet to see a single narrow-body plane get retrofitted with NEXT
EWR764 and Dyce like this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flightdeal
Does this mean we only earn PQP/PQF/miles for Emirate operated flight when connecting through United in Dubai? I wish they did mutual earnings for all the flights irrespective of the route
That's how I read it, although the proof will be in the pudding. It's fairly common for codeshare-type arrangements. UA and EK remain competitors, so UA isn't really interested in rewarding people for flying EK when they could be flying UA instead.

And I would not be surprised if it were miles only -- no PQP/PQF.

Having EK as a redemption option could be nice, however..
SPN Lifer and bakster21 like this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I wonder if UA flyers will eventually have access to EK lounges in the US/outside DXB when flying on a UA flight, similar to the QF/EK lounge access reciprocity arrangement.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
This is a big win for EK because of much larger DXB-USA passenger volumes. UA's passenger volumes to DXB and beyond are rather limited.
I was hoping that EK would join *A so that we could visit EK lounges in USA while flying domestically.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flightdeal
"United MileagePlus® members flying on United's Newark/New York to Dubai flight can soon earn and redeem miles when connecting beyond on Emirates and flydubai and Emirates Skywards members will be able to earn miles when they travel on United operated flights"

Does this mean we only earn PQP/PQF/miles for Emirate operated flight when connecting through United in Dubai? I wish they did mutual earnings for all the flights irrespective of the route
Just award miles, nothing for Premier qualifying.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
This was definitely overhyped. I was hoping to be able to fly on EK metal ex-SFO to India and earn PQP/PQF.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by smxflyer
This was definitely overhyped.
+1
ual744777sta likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: United GS, BAEC GGL, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jsloan
That's how I read it, although the proof will be in the pudding. It's fairly common for codeshare-type arrangements. UA and EK remain competitors, so UA isn't really interested in rewarding people for flying EK when they could be flying UA instead.

And I would not be surprised if it were miles only -- no PQP/PQF.

Having EK as a redemption option could be nice, however..
Can these only be redeemed if using the EWR-DXB route or could I expect to be able to redeem UA miles on EK direct from GLA to DXB for example?
Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by smxflyer
This was definitely overhyped. I was hoping to be able to fly on EK metal ex-SFO to India and earn PQP/PQF.
perhaps more PQD / reciprocal earning and award benefits will be announced in the near future, as stated on the website… may not be as overhyped as some think.

Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jpm81
Can these only be redeemed if using the EWR-DXB route or could I expect to be able to redeem UA miles on EK direct from GLA to DXB for example?
Unclear. My guess would be the latter, but we'll have to wait to see awards start to populate in the search results.
SPN Lifer and Jpm81 like this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
This agreement unites two iconic, flag carrier airlines who share a common commitment to creating the best customer experience in the skies," said United CEO Scott Kirby.
LOL... clearly Mr. Kirby is a) delusional, b) hasn't flown United lately, c) hasn't flown on competitor airlines in a very long time, or d) all of the above.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
via The Points Guy:

For now, passengers will only earn United MileagePlus Premier qualifying flights and points for the United segments, though in a conversation with TPG after the event, United executive Luc Bondar hinted that the loyalty integration would be expanded.”

Link here .
Old Sep 14, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
Don't really see United benefitting from this agreement with Emirates. JFK is just a few miles away from Newark and it would be a no-brainer to be on the A380 instead. Unless someone wants to earn UA miles on their EK booking, or enjoy the Polaris, I don't think anyone would be willing to connect between two airlines in DXB, and would much rather be willing to be on an EK-metal (given the better soft product on EK) through their entire journey. The AA-QR partnership is well designed and established, and EK-UA will be struggling to be able to work this out on a long term if it were to continue on an extremely limited partnership and reciprocal benefits like this.

+ if this is all the hype was all about, then please take me back to the good old EK-B6 days, thanks.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
This could be good for SE Asia destinations from EWR which are a nightmare to book on UA... DPS from Newark could finally be one stop: EWR-DXB-DPS on 016 stock
Nikongirl likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
So….just so I understand this:

1. this is only useful at all if you are in EWR-DXB otherwise it’s moot. Like booking outright on emirates LAX-DXB-XXX is worthless for United flyers.

2. Assuming 1 is true, there’s no PQP/PQF earnings for the DXB-XXX sector of your ticket

3. UA elites will only get lounge access on the EK segment IF their previous flight is the EWR-DXB segment?

4. What terminal will United operate out of? Will gold and above economy passengers going DXB-EWR get EK lounge access? Or Nothing/LH Sen?

for someone like me who regularly communicated EWR-BOM for work, this route was the best route from a time and convenience standpoint. And it showed the flight was always full. There is no incentive for me to go LAX-EWR-DXB-BOM as opposed to the LAX-FRA-BOM that I’ve been doing as of late and I’m sure others share similar sentiments for other destinations in the region.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.