Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated DXB connections / Emirates (EK) codeshares / logistics / lounges / ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA164 EWR 10:15 PM DXB 7:40 PM next day 772 13 hrs 25 mins Daily (except Sunday 26 March) starting 25 March 2023
UA163 DXB 2:15 AM EWR 9:05 AM 772 14 hrs 50 mins Daily Starting 28 March 2023

United and Emirates Expand Market Presence Through New Agreement
September 14, 2022 Operations

United to launch new nonstop flights between Newark/New York and Dubai starting in March of 2023;

United customers can soon connect through Dubai to more than 100 destinations and Emirates customers can more easily fly to nearly 200 U.S cities through Chicago, San Francisco and Houston

CHICAGO and DUBAI, Sept. 14, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- United and Emirates announced a historic commercial agreement today that will enhance each airline's network and give their customers easier access to hundreds of destinations within the United States and around the world*.

United will launch a new direct flight between Newark/New York and Dubai starting in March 2023 – from there, customers can travel on Emirates or its sister airline flydubai to more than 100 different cities. Tickets for United's new Dubai flight are now on sale.

Starting in November, Emirates customers flying into three of the nation's biggest business hubs – Chicago, San Francisco and Houston – will have access to nearly 200 U.S. cities in the United network – most of which only require a one-stop connection. At eight other U.S. airports served by Emirates – Boston, Dallas, LA, Miami, JFK, Orlando, Seattle and Washington DC – both airlines will have an interline arrangement in place.

United and Emirates announced their agreement today at a ceremonial event at Dulles International Airport, hosted by United CEO Scott Kirby and Emirates President Sir Tim Clark, featuring United and Emirates Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and flight crews from each carrier.

"This agreement unites two iconic, flag carrier airlines who share a common commitment to creating the best customer experience in the skies," said United CEO Scott Kirby. "United's new flight to Dubai and our complementary networks will make global travel easier for millions of our customers, helping boost local economies and strengthen cultural ties. This is a proud moment for both United and Emirates employees, and I look forward to our journey together."

"Two of the biggest, and best-known airlines in the world are joining hands to fly people better to more places, at a time when travel demand is rebounding with a vengeance. It's a significant partnership that will unlock tremendous consumer benefit and bring the United Arab Emirates and the United States even closer," said Sir Tim Clark, President Emirates Airline. "We welcome United's return to Dubai next year, where our hub Dubai essentially becomes a gateway for United to reach Asia, Africa and the Middle East via the combined network of Emirates and flydubai. We look forward to developing our partnership with United for the long term."

Soon customers of both airlines can book these connecting flights on a single ticket – making check-in and luggage transfer faster and easier. For example – travelers will be able to visit United.com or use the United app to book a flight from Newark/New York to Karachi, Pakistan or go to Emirates.com to book a flight from Dubai to Atlanta or Honolulu.

This agreement will also give the loyalty program members of both airlines more opportunities for more rewards: United MileagePlus® members flying on United's Newark/New York to Dubai flight can soon earn and redeem miles when connecting beyond on Emirates and flydubai and Emirates Skywards members will be able to earn miles when they travel on United operated flights. Eligible United customers will also soon have access to Emirates lounges when connecting to and from United's new Dubai flight.

Both airlines have recently announced significant investments in the customer experience. Emirates will retrofit more than 120 aircraft as part of a $2 billion effort that includes elevated meal choices, a brand-new vegan menu, a 'cinema in the sky' experience, cabin interior upgrades, and sustainable choices. At United, the airline will add 500 new Boeing and Airbus aircraft to its fleet with a focus on a new signature interior that includes seat-back screens in every seat, larger overhead bins, Bluetooth connectivity throughout, and the industry's fastest available in-flight WiFi.

* Codeshare activities and United's new flight to Dubai are subject to government approvals.

Originally Posted by TerryK
EK lounge is accessible by passengers seated in UA Polaris only. No UC members, no *G members, no waitlisted for Polaris and no guest.
per UA
Emirates Business Class Lounge
Eligibility
  • United Polaris® business class customers

​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

Consolidated DXB connections / Emirates (EK) codeshares / logistics / lounges / ....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2022, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
If UA is trying to capture some of the Indian market, I think the return timing is not very good for connections.

Last edited by UA Fan; Sep 14, 2022 at 1:55 pm
Old Sep 14, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by UA Fan
If UA is trying to capture some of the Indian market, I'm not sure the return timing is not very good for connections.
and this, Most cities have their EK flights leaving at like 3/4am and coming into DXB in the early light hours for people to nicely connect on the morning 8/9/10AM flights to EU/US. 215am from Dubai will only be able to serve bigger Indian cities like Delhi and Mumbai which have a 9/10pm flight to DXB but the timings are not very good
Old Sep 14, 2022, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
and this, Most cities have their EK flights leaving at like 3/4am and coming into DXB in the early light hours for people to nicely connect on the morning 8/9/10AM flights to EU/US. 215am from Dubai will only be able to serve bigger Indian cities like Delhi and Mumbai which have a 9/10pm flight to DXB but the timings are not very good
Correct. However if they delay the return I suspect there are more parking fees and other expenses? I was hoping for a good connection to AI's DXB-COK flight and even that sucks.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 1:56 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Off the top of my head the following Indian cities have EK flights that arrive into DXB around midnight: HYD, BLR, BOM, DEL, CCU
Probably comes down to UA not wanting their aircraft sitting at DXB over night, since a 10pm EWR-DXB is perfect for a majority of India connections on the outbound.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Does anyone have a list of the 100 destinations that will now have a UA codeshare flight #?
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Surprised UA didn't announce they would fly IAD-DXB on their own metal. Nonetheless, a nice add. My travel experiences with a kid (mostly pandemic-era and thereafter) probably mean I won't utilize this anytime soon, but a welcome addition. I'm sure there are little details to work out, but being able to utilize Emirates' massive network is a positive - basically what UA maybe could have done with TK if they were ever able to maintain a consistent EWR-IST flight (although DXB is better-located for the areas of the world that are more challenging for UA to get to).
Old Sep 14, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
What's the criteria for lounge access in DXB when flying UA DXB-EWR? Only Polaris pax or also *G in Economy?

UA are notorious for not allowing lounge acccess for the latter if non-*A contract lounge.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
perhaps more PQD / reciprocal earning and award benefits will be announced in the near future, as stated on the website… may not be as overhyped as some think.

Right. I'm quite confident there are MANY items the carriers will work through and work out in the coming weeks. I think of today's announcement as the bare minimum of what will be implemented, not the full aim of what the carriers have in mind.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 8:24 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
When will EK connections show up on UA's website and vice versa?
Old Sep 14, 2022, 9:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Nayef
When will EK connections show up on UA's website and vice versa?
Some are already there
Originally Posted by aindfan
From my quick sample searches, it looks like interline fares (sorry if this isn't the right term!) are already loaded - for example, when I search EWR-HYD, I now see both EWR-DEL-HYD (overnight stop in DEL, connect to Air India or Vistara) and EWR-DXB-HYD (2 hour stop in DXB, connect to Emirates) at similar prices. This could be a huge improvement for travel to cities in India other than DEL!
Nayef likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Good to see at least something

Disappointing only EWR gets a UA metal option to participate in this deal.
drewguy likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 10:40 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Some are already there
I was searching in Feb/March for DEN-(any US airport served by EK)-DXB and the other way around in the hope that DEN-US would be UA and US-DXB would be EK but I haven’t found those options on either airline’s website.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:09 pm

Why would EK select UA? EK has kept high standards in customer service...
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nayef
I was searching in Feb/March for DEN-(any US airport served by EK)-DXB and the other way around in the hope that DEN-US would be UA and US-DXB would be EK but I haven’t found those options on either airline’s website.
Don't expect those to appear on the UA website. You'll likely only find those on the EK website, once the flights are loaded on their side.
SPN Lifer and Nayef like this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 12:01 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Atleast they could have announced wider reach of UA metal if they wanted UA - SE Asia/MENA pax.. ORD-DXB, IAH-DXB additions on UA metal are only way this makes it worthwhile for anyone not residing in NYC.. why take extra connection whether in J or Y..
drewguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.