FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated DXB connections / Emirates (EK) codeshares / logistics / lounges / .... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2092503-consolidated-dxb-connections-emirates-ek-codeshares-logistics-lounges.html)

ual744777sta Aug 30, 2022 2:39 am

Consolidated DXB connections / Emirates (EK) codeshares / logistics / lounges / ....

It's the first of never!

The Air Current (paywall) is reporting that United and Emirates are to form an codeshare agreement.

Discuss.

angetenar Aug 30, 2022 5:40 am

Emirates has been cozying up with a lot of *A airlines recently, hasn't it? Perhaps EK is feeling the pressure from Qatar being a part of oneworld.

cfischer Aug 30, 2022 5:49 am

That could be interesting, if true.

pseudoswede Aug 30, 2022 6:59 am

I wonder what destinations EK offers that LH and TK don't already cover.

uastarflyer Aug 30, 2022 7:07 am

Didn’t UA and EK have something a long time ago?

EK is hugely popular with folks traveling to/from India. Not sure how else it helps UA with network reach though.

bmwe92fan Aug 30, 2022 7:20 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 34557530)

EK is hugely popular with folks traveling to/from India. Not sure how else it helps UA with network reach though.

As someone who flys in and out of the Gulf region all the time DXB is vastly preferable to me as a connecting point than FRA or LHR -- which are my main options now...

RobOnLI Aug 30, 2022 7:32 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 34557516)
I wonder what destinations EK offers that LH and TK don't already cover.

Not sure of the answer to this except they do it with widebody aircraft with far more comfortable cabins vs most of the destinations served by LH Airbus 319/320/321 and TK 737 aircraft.

-RM

Duke787 Aug 30, 2022 7:56 am

Seems like a positive move IMO. Looks all but confirmed based on this tweet that just went out from @UNITED -- seems like September 14 is the announcement day:

zeus2120 Aug 30, 2022 7:59 am

I wonder how this would impact EWR-ATH from both carriers.

jcturnbull Aug 30, 2022 8:02 am

Originally Posted by zeus2120 (Post 34557665)
I wonder how this would impact EWR-ATH from both carriers.

The Athens and Milan routes were the first thing that came to my mind

critten Aug 30, 2022 8:06 am

this sounds pretty great!

UAL250 Aug 30, 2022 8:21 am

Definitely exciting. Lots of options now for travel to many parts of the world. And can earn miles on EK hopefully if that's how deep the partnership is.

artvandalay Aug 30, 2022 8:22 am

Yes, they offered joint RTW fares. It's how I experienced my first EK flying: HKG to Europe on EK, UA rest of the way. Sooner or later, every FTer should have the experience of flying EK first class.

dinoscool3 Aug 30, 2022 8:24 am

CO and EK had a close partnership that went away with the merger.

Xlr Aug 30, 2022 10:05 am

I am fascinated to hear the details. Looks like there is a media event on the 14th:

Emirates flies to all* of United's key airports except Denver so there are more codeshare and interline opportunities for us. A daily DXB-DEN flight might be great to see as well. Maybe on a United 787?

* LaGuardia doesn't handle long international flights anyway.
I assume Guam is of limited interest but perhaps military/contractors flying between the Middle East and Guam could benefit from a codeshare via NRT. And tourists (plus some small number of business travelers) might appreciate a similar codeshare arrangement to get to Honolulu.