Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2023, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
1. When requesting an Old Fashioned on United, ask the FA for this bottle:

2. Depending on the aircraft type, they may only be available in F.
3. If loaded by catering on to an aircraft, usually located in the wine drawer under the ice.

Print Wikipost

UA's Old Fashioned mix

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2023, 5:51 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium and LTT
Originally Posted by itripreport
What are the odds I could ask for one in the back as my complimentary 1K drink?! Looking for a way to make my 5 hour max flight where i'm number 23 on the list tolerable
I've been successful almost every time but it does usually require the FA to fetch it from First. More than once they've said they haven't seen it since pre-pandemic times and then I mention the red wine drawer.

That said, the last time I asked, the FA told me that as long as he was going to walk up front to get it, he may as well bring me both of the bottles that were loaded. And he did!
Old Feb 20, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA GS
Jac-EWR

Success, had to give the red wine tip but it was a smashing success.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
So as an unminted 1K/now gold who's adapting to sitting in 21D all over again, I've asked on my 3 non-upgraded flights for the Old Fashioned and been told, after cursory looking, that there's none to be had because a) it's not listed in Hemispheres anymore, b) none found when looking briefly in their plastic tray alcoholic Y cabin beverage cart drawers, c) not found in the Y cabin beverage cart's cooler/red wine drawer.

I've also suggested that a) I've gotten it up front on recent flights and b) didn't try to push terribly hard either during or after a beverage service to see if there's really nothing there.

So, my questions:

1. Which "red wine drawer"? Is it the one on the cart in the Y cabin? Is there more than one beverage cart that is catered that has a "red wine drawer"?
2. Is it best to go rearward after a service and politely ask for a more extensive search?
3. Are the two Old Fashioneds only in F/J now?

David
Old Feb 23, 2023, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
So as an unminted 1K/now gold who's adapting to sitting in 21D all over again, I've asked on my 3 non-upgraded flights for the Old Fashioned and been told, after cursory looking, that there's none to be had because a) it's not listed in Hemispheres anymore, b) none found when looking briefly in their plastic tray alcoholic Y cabin beverage cart drawers, c) not found in the Y cabin beverage cart's cooler/red wine drawer.

I've also suggested that a) I've gotten it up front on recent flights and b) didn't try to push terribly hard either during or after a beverage service to see if there's really nothing there.

So, my questions:

1. Which "red wine drawer"? Is it the one on the cart in the Y cabin? Is there more than one beverage cart that is catered that has a "red wine drawer"?
2. Is it best to go rearward after a service and politely ask for a more extensive search?
3. Are the two Old Fashioneds only in F/J now?

David
Typically there are two per cart. There's a cart in F and a cart in Y, so that makes for four per plane on most domestic flights. Both sides of the cart may have red wine, so it can be confusing for the FA. Best is if they are willing / you can convince them to check with the other side if they fail to find it.

I can imagine going rearward might improve your odds, since they then won't be trying to finish the rush down the aisle ASAP, but I'm not sure. I usually ask once and then give up if they give up.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Flew Republic EWR-YYZ last week. I asked the FA about Old fashioned being catered, and she said she would double check. On the bright side, she knew where they were located, and they where indeed stocked, unfortunately though I was not the only one to ask for one.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
The old fashioned that I had last year was HORRIBLE. What a way to ruin some good bourbon…
Old Mar 23, 2023, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
This reminds me, I had a great flight home from vacation two weeks ago with a fantastic FC cabin crew.
I asked about the Old Fashioned, and the FA said she would check with her co-worker. When she came back, she looked puzzled, but asked if I was 1K (wife and I had switched seats). Puzzled, myself, I said "does it matter?" and she laughed and said: No, but my co-worker asked and said "they're the only ones who know about them"...
About an hour out of IAD, she came back again and said "I have one more if you'd like..." Of course, I said yes, and then to my surprise she said "do you want it in a glass or just to take with you?"
She even offered to switch me to a plastic cup when they came around to collect the glassware and I wasnt finished... I said "that saves me from hiding it from you" and I took my last sip as we pulled up to the gate.
Like I said, one of the best cabin crews in a while!
Old Mar 23, 2023, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Was in F last week IAH-CLE mainline and requested one. FA knew what I was talking about but came back saying they hadn't loaded them.

Great crew. When they had to wrap things up early due to expected turbulence, they topped off the wine glasses and poured them into plastic cups. Safety first!
kirkwoodj likes this.

Last edited by paule123; Mar 23, 2023 at 9:42 pm
Old Apr 6, 2023, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ask and ye shall receive (and, for those not 1K or GS, pay for):

LAX-IAD - drink 2.

David
SPN Lifer and higher_flyer like this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K; BR Gold
I have tried on two recent flights, with the red wine location tip, and have been sternly told they are not catered any more.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiBikeBeer
I have tried on two recent flights, with the red wine location tip, and have been sternly told they are not catered any more.
Par for the course. 😩 Keep trying!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 10:45 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I've been successful getting at least one recently on all my domestic legs, eight times in last two months.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HAudidoody
I've been successful getting at least one recently on all my domestic legs, eight times in last two months.
In First or Economy?

David
Old Apr 7, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
In First or Economy?

David
All First.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
In First or Economy?

David
All First.
Single aisle only has in F. Widebodies apparently have 2 in front & 2 in back, which I have found to be true from experience and recent FA comment.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.