Old Aug 10, 2023, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
1. When requesting an Old Fashioned on United, ask the FA for this bottle:

2. Depending on the aircraft type, they may only be available in F.
3. If loaded by catering on to an aircraft, usually located in the wine drawer under the ice.

Print Wikipost

UA's Old Fashioned mix

Old Apr 7, 2023, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj (Post # 75)
Single aisle only has in F. Widebodies apparently have 2 in front & 2 in back, which I have found to be true from experience and recent FA comment.
This is one of the most important comments in this thread, of which we should all remain mindful.

I wonder if a flight attendant on a narrow-body aircraft would check the first class cart's wine drawer for an economy passenger?
Old Apr 7, 2023, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Single aisle only has in F. Widebodies apparently have 2 in front & 2 in back, which I have found to be true from experience and recent FA comment.
I haven't found this to be the case universally. Sometimes (on narrowbody Y) the old fashioned is a different cart in the back galley. If FA doesn't find it in the Y cart they're using for standard service, and if you can convince to go back and check other cart, you may still get it in Y. Not to tell on myself, but I have gotten both in Y on a 737.

Sometimes, though, it's either not there, or they can't be arsed (and which one isn't always clear).
SPN Lifer, lilpisher and kirkwoodj like this.
Old May 1, 2023, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Still theyre in F, still in the red wine drawer, and still 2 per flight on a narrow body. 👍
iluv2fly, SPN Lifer and kirkwoodj like this.
Old May 2, 2023, 7:49 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by fumje
Sometimes, though, it's either not there, or they can't be arsed (and which one isn't always clear).
Speaks volumes about United that all of us would struggle to answer this question with any certainty...
Maybe I should offer to look myself and risk the flight returning to origin due to an unruly passenger
Old May 2, 2023, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I had one yesterday out of EWR, and it may be the last one I will have for awhile. It is not because of stock issue, rather I have found it too sweet for me.

Old Fashioned remains my favorite drinks, but the pre-mixed one seems sweeter than the ones made at the bar.

I have had some excellent Old Fashioned at EWR, IAD and SFO Polaris Lounges recently.
seanp7 and kirkwoodj like this.
Old May 2, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I have had some excellent Old Fashioned at EWR, IAD and SFO Polaris Lounges recently.
Oooooh, good idea!
Old May 2, 2023, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Had my first flight yesterday where I had to use the red wine cabinet trick, FA was def on the younger Side, she happily checked, and came back with it, and then refilled it with the second one later
Old May 2, 2023, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by itripreport
Had my first flight yesterday where I had to use the red wine cabinet trick, FA was def on the younger Side, she happily checked, and came back with it, and then refilled it with the second one later
Alright! FlyerTalk is good for something!

David
Old May 3, 2023, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by SkiBikeBeer
I have tried on two recent flights, with the red wine location tip, and have been sternly told they are not catered any more.
I flew MCO-EWR and attempted to use the red wine location tip and the FA sternly said that they have been discontinued, but further sternly asked how would a customer know how our galley carts are loaded?

I was caught off-guard by the question and I said that I had read about it on a website devoted to frequent flying and she said well that is internal UA info and if I were you I would not go about telling UA employees about how to do their jobs especially with info that would not be available to the customer.

So, be careful with the wine tip if your FA was/is anything like mine.
Old May 3, 2023, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kmersh
I flew MCO-EWR and attempted to use the red wine location tip and the FA sternly said that they have been discontinued, but further sternly asked how would a customer know how our galley carts are loaded?

I was caught off-guard by the question and I said that I had read about it on a website devoted to frequent flying and she said well that is internal UA info and if I were you I would not go about telling UA employees about how to do their jobs especially with info that would not be available to the customer.

What a Mickey Mouse response from that FA.
Old May 3, 2023, 9:17 am

What a Mickey Mouse response from that FA.
lol. MCO and Mickey Mouse response.
itripreport likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: UA GS and 1MM; SPG/Marr Plat; Hilton Gold

Next time, you can preface your request by saying you heard they had been discontinued. If the next FA asks how a customer would know that, you can respond that you heard it from another FA.
Old May 3, 2023, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

lol. MCO and Mickey Mouse response.
Just a little Old Fashioned punning.
seanp7 and kirkwoodj like this.
Old May 3, 2023, 12:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
I wonder if a flight attendant on a narrow-body aircraft would check the first class cart's wine drawer for an economy passenger?
It's technically not allowed. Some might, but I'd imagine most wouldn't.

I haven't found this to be the case universally. Sometimes (on narrowbody Y) the old fashioned is a different cart in the back galley. If FA doesn't find it in the Y cart they're using for standard service, and if you can convince to go back and check other cart, you may still get it in Y. Not to tell on myself, but I have gotten both in Y on a 737.
Narrowbody Y liquor is only boarded into the service cart, unless there's been a mixup somewhere along the line, often with downline catering (which has happened far too frequently as of late). Some FAs remove the narrowbody mini drawer to allow for another soda drawer, put the most asked for minis in the beer bin and stash the rest in the back galley. It's not my favorite practice (makes the cart way too top heavy in turbulence) but it's not uncommon. All that to say, if an FA tells you that there's not another liquor cart in the back... they may actually be telling the truth.
Old May 3, 2023, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fezzington
It's technically not allowed. Some might, but I'd imagine most wouldn't.

Narrowbody Y liquor is only boarded into the service cart, unless there's been a mixup somewhere along the line, often with downline catering (which has happened far too frequently as of late). Some FAs remove the narrowbody mini drawer to allow for another soda drawer, put the most asked for minis in the beer bin and stash the rest in the back galley. It's not my favorite practice (makes the cart way too top heavy in turbulence) but it's not uncommon. All that to say, if an FA tells you that there's not another liquor cart in the back... they may actually be telling the truth.
Great intel as always!! Much better than trying to read between the lines of what FA is telling me in the middle of a busy service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.