Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2023, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
1. When requesting an Old Fashioned on United, ask the FA for this bottle:

2. Depending on the aircraft type, they may only be available in F.
3. If loaded by catering on to an aircraft, usually located in the wine drawer under the ice.

Print Wikipost

UA's Old Fashioned mix

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2023, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by seanp7
It's the best drink in the sky (VERY strong, though - be careful!).
It really is.

Originally Posted by JAaronT
I wish they’d bring back the Moscow Mule.
Agreed! Or that Sunrise drink from many years back...

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Unfortunately, they are not boarded on international flights.
My experience too. Never boarded.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 6:57 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Agreed, found "in the red wine drawer".
Old Feb 8, 2023, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll have to try it next time, but I've yet to find a premixed old fashioned that wasn't too sweet.

Reminds me of the story about the first time the White House butler served old fashioneds to Harry Truman and his wife, Bess. He used a by-the-book recipe but was told it was too sweet. Next night, he used a different recipe and got the same feedback with the note that the President and his wife "did not care for fruit punch". His pride was hurt so that night he poured them each a double bourbon on ice. They took a sip and said, "now that's how we like our old fashioned!"
Old Feb 8, 2023, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Raven139AS
Seems hit or miss on domestic but agree with comments here that usually the fa is either unfamiliar or doesn’t know where to look. Be persistent: ask them to check up front, in back, next to red wine…

I find usually 2-4 loaded on domestic. I’ve almost never seen them loaded on international unless those fa’s aren’t looking when asked. But I doubt this….
Had all of them available on SRQ-IAD yesterday. I mentioned the location with the red wine to the lead FA and she laughed.
SPN Lifer, DJ_Iceman and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I'll have to try it next time, but I've yet to find a premixed old fashioned that wasn't too sweet.
As a purveyor of Old Fashioneds in pre-mixed and syrup form, the least sweet ones I've tried so far are Bulleit (conveniently available at Costco) and Strongwater.

For those looking for a very good syrup on the sweeter side (which I admit is me), I highly recommend Proof Syrup.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 7:31 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
This one (from Whole Foods) is good too, if mixed correctly (and not too sweet).

Old Feb 9, 2023, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
What are the odds I could ask for one in the back as my complimentary 1K drink?! Looking for a way to make my 5 hour max flight where i'm number 23 on the list tolerable
HawaiiDave likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itripreport
What are the odds I could ask for one in the back as my complimentary 1K drink?! Looking for a way to make my 5 hour max flight where i'm number 23 on the list tolerable
I am hit or miss for whether they can find it and/or are willing to look (even with the red wine tray tip), but when they locate it I have always been able to get it as the drink. If they're super dedicated to tapping everything in the phone, it can wind up being an ordeal since I believe it doesn't show up there.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Originally Posted by fumje
I am hit or miss for whether they can find it and/or are willing to look (even with the red wine tray tip), but when they locate it I have always been able to get it as the drink. If they're super dedicated to tapping everything in the phone, it can wind up being an ordeal since I believe it doesn't show up there.
Alright, it'll be worth a shot then...
Old Feb 9, 2023, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
I'm usually quite successful getting it, 90% of the time. As mentioned, I do have trouble if they dont know what they are looking for (like when I asked for a scotch and was handed a JD)... I'm usually in a bulkhead seat in E+ tho so I get them before they have dealt with a ton of people and lost their good mood...
I have not seen it on the "order ahead" option tho....
Old Feb 9, 2023, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Alright, it'll be worth a shot then...
Well, a glass...
Originally Posted by huey_driver
Scandalous!
Old Feb 9, 2023, 1:24 pm

Oh good call on complimentary Old Fashioned as 1K in Y. I will try this Saturday!
Old Feb 9, 2023, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by huey_driver
I'm usually quite successful getting it, 90% of the time. As mentioned, I do have trouble if they dont know what they are looking for (like when I asked for a scotch and was handed a JD)... I'm usually in a bulkhead seat in E+ tho so I get them before they have dealt with a ton of people and lost their good mood...
agreed as this is my experience. Comes down to the patience/willingness of the FA.

I did once have an FA tell me I couldn’t have it because it was a different ‘class’ of liquor but that I could have 2 vodkas. I told her I thought liquor was liquor…..she found one and gave it to me. 🤷‍♂️
seanp7 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 12:38 pm

Flew IAD-FLL yesterday and they were loaded, but only 2. Great crew.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Well, as a unminted 1K/LT Gold sitting in 21D on DEN-LAX, while the FAs serving were friendly enough, cursory dig for any Old Fashioneds in their drawers.

I suspect I could have been more persistent at the end of the (single) drink run and went to rear galley to push but clearly, if one wants an Old Fashioned on domestic UA, gotta sit up front.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.