Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Boarding/Seating Chaos - Summer 2022 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding/Seating Chaos - Summer 2022 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
The proposal is for UA to do SOMETHING/ANYTHING about sitting Basic Economy passengers in E+, many of whom are infrequent flyers, couples, and families who ask to change seats.

I don’t work for airlines and don’t have a solution. However, I do have dollars that I am putting on other airlines that have their act more together and don’t plan to go for 1K again as it’s useless.
Where do you propose others sit when the e- seats are full? Do you propose idb? This is your thread so am trying to understand the complaint/resolution? If the complaint is that e- be folks end up sitting next to you, well idk what to say about that besides maybe you need to consider private/charter. UA provides public transportation after all. If the complaint is how the seats are allocated/assigned in E then perhaps buy F. If the complaint is about people swapping seats, we'll that has been going on since I have been traveling over decades...not sure why it bothers folks...don't want to swap...just say no thanks.
SPN Lifer and zspitzer like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
The proposal is for UA to do SOMETHING/ANYTHING about sitting Basic Economy passengers in E+, many of whom are infrequent flyers, couples, and families who ask to change seats.

I don’t work for airlines and don’t have a solution. However, I do have dollars that I am putting on other airlines that have their act more together and don’t plan to go for 1K again as it’s useless.
How about instituting a fee for folks in BE who request seat changes that go into E+. That would be fair, right? Then, the folks who paid for E+ wouldn't be subsidizing BE buyers that game the system.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:20 pm

Breeze Airways is a newer LCC where you have to pay for seats on their lowest fares. That said, when there’s a child on the reservation, they allow free seat assignments in the back of the plane. It’s the family section. This really seems like a win-win without much hassle or lost revenue for UA.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth
How about instituting a fee for folks in BE who request seat changes that go into E+. That would be fair, right? Then, the folks who paid for E+ wouldn't be subsidizing BE buyers that game the system.
BE flyers are able to buy into E+, or if they are automatically assigned E+ prior to boarding, that is UA's policy. Who is to say that a BE pax is not purchasing E+ at check-in like it is available to every other non elite flyer?

from https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...c-economy.html
When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you won’t receive a complimentary seat assignment but you may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. Economy Plus seats may be purchased at check-in. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by evol
My apologies, let me rephrase: NRSAs on the standby list are irrelevant to the discussion. Iʻm talking about the Basic Economy pax who are assigned their seats at the gate. As far as I know these pax are on not the standby list, someone who knows can confirm. Maybe you can, since you have access to them?

For me, pax that are on both the Y standby list AND listed for upgrade/J are NRSA. Totally unscientific tho and as iʻve said, not my point.
Revenue passengers (BE or not) with no seat assignment are not standbys. When they are given a seat, it will be E- unless 1) the passenger pays the E+ upgrade fee or 2) there are no E- seats left.

Revenue passengers can sit in E+ if they pay the upgrade fee. This is not optional (unless E- is full). Even families who ask to be seated together must pay the upgrade fee if the only contiguous seats are in E+.

I took a flight from FCA to DEN where someone asked the gate agent for re-seating, and the answer was "sorry, all the seats are taken unless you want to buy up to E+". His family of five chose to keep their original seats in the back. I took my seat in E+ with two empty seats next to me. Most of the seats in E+ were empty. UA does not give away E+ for free.

It's already done. They have to pay.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
It's already done. They have to pay.
I am sorry if I am being obtuse but, if they already have to pay to get into E+, what are people upset about?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am sorry if I am being obtuse but, if they already have to pay to get into E+, what are people upset about?
I have no idea. I just wanted to point out that revenue passengers do not get E+ seat assignments at no charge if there are any seats remaining in E-.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: United currently plat
Originally Posted by geckoflyer
Breeze Airways is a newer LCC where you have to pay for seats on their lowest fares. That said, when there’s a child on the reservation, they allow free seat assignments in the back of the plane. It’s the family section. This really seems like a win-win without much hassle or lost revenue for UA.
Something like this would be good. Itʻs just clear that UA didn't think though the whole Basic Economy thing, they just jumped on the bandwagon to be able to match fares without giving away anything for free. They should just allow these BE folks to choose a seat, it would solve this issue for the most part.

I donʻt think the BE folks are trying to game the system theyʻre just clueless. I suppose gaming the system would be to for a nonBE no status pax to intentionally not choose a seat assignment and see if they get lucky.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
For me, pax that are on both the Y standby list AND listed for upgrade/J are NRSA. Totally unscientific tho and as iʻve said, not my point.
Most NRSAs are NOT on the Upgrade list on domestic flights.

Many NRSAs are not eligible to upgrade (Buddy pass, ZED passes, etc.). For that that are, there is an upcharge to upgrade for those with less than 25 years of service.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
[deleted deleted deleted]

Last edited by st530; Jun 26, 2022 at 3:12 pm
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:54 pm

Something like this would be good. Itʻs just clear that UA didn't think though the whole Basic Economy thing, they just jumped on the bandwagon to be able to match fares without giving away anything for free. They should just allow these BE folks to choose a seat, it would solve this issue for the most
What is the issue exactly? UA charges different fares with different seating benefits including the ability to select a seat assignment. Then at departure the seats are allocated automatically for the most part. What is not thought through? If UA allowed BE seat allocation at booking it would be fairly close to E- and not as many people would buy up.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott

You’re giving a stronger argument about keeping them in E-. If they’re infrequent flyers, move other, solo, occasional travelers from E- to E+; consolidate the groups towards the back of the plane. Chances are they won’t be back regardless of what you do.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...They should just allow these BE folks to choose a seat, it would solve this issue for the most part....
If I were in UA's marketing department, I would not let BE people select seats. There are still "normal" economy buyers who should have the opportunity to select the best E- seats available w/o BE passengers selecting the better ones beforehand. This is the whole point of BE - you're getting the leftovers. Sometimes it works out better w/ some getting a nice E+ seat, sometimes you get the worst of BE - a middle seat in last row.
ContinentalFan and VRFast like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
If there is a specific number of BE tickets available per flight, they should just block that exact number of seats in the back rows. It seems like they aren’t blocking enough E- seats.
evol likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If there is a specific number of BE tickets available per flight, they should just block that exact number of seats in the back rows. It seems like they aren’t blocking enough E- seats.
That makes no sense. If the seats are blocked, people will not have the option to pay for a seat assignment so they can sit there.

Unless you're buying BE tickets and sitting in E-, why does any of this matter?

If you have an E+ aisle or window seat, the middle seat next to you may be assigned to someone who paid for that seat, or because all E- seats are occupied, or an NRSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.