Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Boarding/Seating Chaos - Summer 2022 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding/Seating Chaos - Summer 2022 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: Continental
I was just making a joke. Ever see A Clockwork Orange?
roberto99 and Milwaukee like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by hockey7711
I was just making a joke. Ever see A Clockwork Orange?
Oh yes, I got your reference and inferred that you thought my grandfather was trying to condition me away from alcohol, just like they were trying to condition Alex away from violence.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by econ
Yeah, it's annoying. In these scenarios, I try to board early, put on noise cancelling headphones, and pretend I'm asleep. Admittedly, this works better in a window seat.
See, I'd love to do this, but you inevitably end up with some clueless flyer trying to move your bag to "make space" for their gigantically humongous oversized bag, and then your bag ends up somewhere in Narnia.

Yes, I've had people take my bag out of the overhead and leave it on the cabin floor to put their bag in my overhead space.
denver19, 36902BRF and evol like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Should've put a little Jack in his coffee .

Reminds me of what my grandfather did to me when I was 5. I was watching him make a mixed drink and he could see that I was fascinated. So, he asked me if I wanted some. I eagerly replied, "yes", and he promptly poured some whiskey into a tablespoon for me, brought it to my lips, and told me to swallow it all. It was awful, and I haven't been able to drink any alcohol to this day because of that experience. Every time I get near liquor, I get nausea.
This is hysterical, my father did the same thing with me, although it wasn't a tablespoon, it was a full glass "on the rocks" because I had asked so many times. Needless to say, some 48 years later, I still can't tolerate the smell or taste of any type of grain alcohol, and basic wine appreciation was almost forced on me by my own parents.

As to the topic of this thread, some of us have been ranting about this for a very long time - I don't know what's going on, I can only assume lazy agents, but they will clear standbys into the best seats and leave empty middles in the back of the cabin. Under no circumstances, by policy, should a BE or standby passenger ever be cleared into an E+ seat, or an empty seat next to a GS/1K member until every other seat, middle or otherwise, has been assigned. Eons ago, once upon a time, United actively blocked seats beside premium customers in coach - and this policy needs to be restored and enforced.

All of this chaos means that we need to preboard as early as possible for no other reason than to defend our own seat assignments and overhead space, creating unnecessary stress. Any time a passenger poaches another customer's seat, the crew should have one option available for the offender - either give up the seat and move to their assigned seat, or off the flight they go.

All of this insanity and stress could be solved with a properly articulated policy that would take all of 30 minutes to write out, along with the necessary training and performance observations.....but since United neither trains properly nor enforces standards, the entire trip from seat assignments to boarding to inflight food service and beyond is nothing but a stress-inducing crapshoot, all unnecessary.
roberto99, Boraxo, drewguy and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Under no circumstances, by policy, should a BE or standby passenger ever be cleared into an E+ seat, or an empty seat next to a GS/1K member until every other seat, middle or otherwise, has been assigned. Eons ago, once upon a time, United actively blocked seats beside premium customers in coach - and this policy needs to be restored and enforced.
I think I posted this before, but back about a year ago, I was preboarding at Dulles. An older guy in front of me scanned his pass and got the "exit row beep". Since he was relying on a cane, the agent didnt even ask, and printed him out a new BP. She explained he couldnt take the exit row (I got the feeling he didnt even book it, it was just where he landed) and handed him the BP. He said "well, where am I now?" and she said "you are in 7A" (E+ bulkhead on E170). He moved on and I stepped up and said "I assume you have a new assignment for me, since I was in 7A"...
I was kinda irritated that she never even looked that she was bumping a 1K, but didnt really hate getting the exit row for a VERY short 50 minute flight... Still, it was a bonehead move...
Old Jun 25, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: United currently plat
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Nothing like paying $900 to fly coast-to-coast in Y, but UA adds insult to injury.

With the fully packed planes, I’m getting pretty sick of UA filling up the Economy Plus section with E- passengers LAST, many of whom are families that always ask to sit together. They don’t even ask before sitting in someone else’s seat, and UA doesn’t do anything to stop it. So the passenger is left to “defend” his/her seat and have that awkward convo.
This. Realllllly ticks me off. 100% agree they should figure out another way. I know it would create extra work to change non BE pax seats to E+ first and possibly create confusion.

I once ran into a friend in the boarding area at HNL, "oh letʻs sit together, come on lets ask." Of course i get the one cranky gate agent (iʻve observed her behavior before) "If you want your friend to move to E+ itʻs $xx, youʻre not on the same PNR" Me: *tries to explain that we just ran into each other, and literally the seat next to me is open. I believe that this should be allowed as a Plat, and arenʻt you going to assign the remaining seats to BE?* Agent: "You should know better, these seats cost extra, either pay or move on I have to process all these pax"

The HNL team is on the whole pretty stellar, but this individual (and maybe one other) is an outlier IMO. Granted, it was a 777HD and she had ~all those BE pax to assign E+ seat to~ I felt it would have been so easy and kind to just say "Sure why not, just this once." Maybe there is a system prompt that would block her from doing so, but I assume that GA can do most anything at their discretion to get the flight sorted and out the gate.

Eons ago, once upon a time, United actively blocked seats beside premium customers in coach - and this policy needs to be restored and enforced.
Praise Jesus! These were the days, Canʻt even remember when this was eliminated.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by evol
Eons ago, once upon a time, United actively blocked seats beside premium customers in coach - and this policy needs to be restored and enforced.
​​​I desperately miss this on CR2s. I feel like I'm constantly watching the seatmap and moving around every time someone takes the seat next to me. So frustrating.

Of course i get the one cranky gate agent (iʻve observed her behavior before) "If you want your friend to move to E+ itʻs $xx, youʻre not on the same PNR" Me: *tries to explain that we just ran into each other, and literally the seat next to me is open. I believe that this should be allowed as a Plat, and arenʻt you going to assign the remaining seats to BE?* Agent: "You should know better, these seats cost extra, either pay or move on I have to process all these pax"
This is the most frustrating because we all know you can do this off-PNR. Adds insult to injury that BE got Y+ and your friend didn't, especially since you took the time to ask nicely.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This. Realllllly ticks me off. 100% agree they should figure out another way. I know it would create extra work to change non BE pax seats to E+ first and possibly create confusion....
And a new version of "UA changed my seat" thread unless your are suggesting the gate agent reach out to each of those first and interview them. The two step changes are impractical to do at the gate on a large scale.
chavala likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by steveo
I taught him how to make fart noises with his armpits, and gave him some coffee with lots of sugar. Revenge is sweet
Teaching the kid some choice words for his parents is another good one.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:43 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by steveo
A few years ago I was flying ORD-PEK in economy plus, and some dad in J class plopped his 6 year old next to me and i had to entertain him for the flight. I taught him how to make fart noises with his armpits, and gave him some coffee with lots of sugar. Revenge is sweet, I suggest you do the same rather than complaining on flyertalk.
I kept thinking about this post after I read it. I am just astounded that anyone would leave their 6 year old on a flight that long next to a complete stranger. My child flew from the time he was a 5 month old baby and TPAC once or twice a year and UM from a young age. But if I were on the flight no way would he be with anyone but me. 6 years old!

UMs are watched by the FAs and sat somewhere where they can be seen on the flights.

6 years old!
SPN Lifer and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 6:38 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by econ
Yeah, it's annoying. In these scenarios, I try to board early, put on noise cancelling headphones, and pretend I'm asleep. Admittedly, this works better in a window seat.
Any big over the ear headphones discourage attempts by other passengers to interact with you.
roberto99 and nk15 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 7:45 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Was the inhumane part that the toddler was in a different row?

Originally Posted by eng3
No need to be so dramatic. People can be apart for a few hours, it's not that long. I remember years ago, WN would advertise the lack of assigned seating a feature because kids could get together and sit away from their parents. "parents in front, kids in back", something like that.

As for the boarding process, Yes, it's annoying, but I doubt it makes a significant difference in when you arrive at your destination.
I understood it that mom had a lap child in the middle seat and her toddler was in a different room in the middle seat unless I’m mistaken.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 7:52 pm

Programs: United currently plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And a new version of "UA changed my seat" thread unless your are suggesting the gate agent reach out to each of those first and interview them. The two step changes are impractical to do at the gate on a large scale.
what? yea i donʻt have the solution and apparently UA doesn't either since Iʻm sure this has crossed their minds once or twice.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by squeakr
I understood it that mom had a lap child in the middle seat and her toddler was in a different room in the middle seat unless I’m mistaken.
That is correct - two kids. An infant and a 3-year-old.

United is raking in the money and genuinely doesn’t care about its customers.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
That is correct - two kids. An infant and a 3-year-old.

United is raking in the money and genuinely doesn’t care about its customers.
Seen similar reports for DL, AA and various LCCs. Perhaps WN has few issues

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.