Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Boarding/Seating Chaos - Summer 2022 Edition

Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver

Nothing like paying $900 to fly coast-to-coast in Y, but UA adds insult to injury.

With the fully packed planes, I’m getting pretty sick of UA filling up the Economy Plus section with E- passengers LAST, many of whom are families that always ask to sit together. They don’t even ask before sitting in someone else’s seat, and UA doesn’t do anything to stop it. So the passenger is left to “defend” his/her seat and have that awkward convo.

On my flight three days ago on a 787-10, UA put a mother with a lap child in a middle seat, and the toddler (roughly 3) in another middle seat. I offered to switch because it was honestly inhumane they gave her those seats. Behind me, a father was blocking all of boarding to negotiating a seat change, and I recommended he get out of the aisle to not further delay the flight. Prior to that, he sat directly in front of me (in a seat that wasn’t his) and reclined the borrowed seat during boarding. Infuriating.

Shouldn’t UA offer E+ seat upgrades for free to Non-Basic Economy passengers first? It’s honestly ridiculous and is getting worse.

UA, PLEASE TELL BASIC ECONOMY PASSENGERS THEY CAN NOT ASK TO SWITCH SEATS, AND FIGURE OUT FAMILIES PRIOR TO BOARDING.

I will also add that they forgot to call 1K’s last week, and today 1K’s were not allowed to enter from the side and were told to trample over everyone in Group 1 to line up. What? It’s almost like the gate agents have given up.
uanj and becks1 like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
My YYZ - EWR flight earlier today, I was #2 with 6 open seats and asked when I was boarding if they were going to upgrade me because clearly there were seats. They upgraded me but then departed with 4 empty F seats and 6 people still on the list.

I enjoyed having the F row to myself on the E175 but seriously how does that happen?
becks1 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Yeah, it's annoying. In these scenarios, I try to board early, put on noise cancelling headphones, and pretend I'm asleep. Admittedly, this works better in a window seat.
Boraxo, beachmouse, nk15 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Concur. But I don’t think this is a summer 2022 problem it has been an issue ever since BE was introduced. It would be great it airline required seat assignments for all children <10 traveling with adults but query whether UA antiquated IT could handle that software update. And UA probably loathe to lose the bottom of barrel business to Spirit LOL. So just pretend the problem doesn’t exist and put the burden on your customers to resolve it rather than finding a better solution. A good way to lose the $900 elite. Maybe this is why DL doesn’t upgrade people to C+
becks1 and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

I was #1 on the UG list a few weeks ago and there were two open F seats. They wanted me to board and then upgrade me later, which would have meant clogging the aisle and moving my luggage. Fortunately he cleared it when I went up and asked. I don’t think UA has standard operating procedures anymore.
TXJeepGuy and nexus7556 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by nycflyer222
I don’t think UA has standard operating procedures anymore.
I mean they do. But between all the new agents who don't know better, and then the ones who don't care because they're probably not gonna get in trouble, what incentive do they have to make sure they're following the procedures? Like UA (and all the airliens) being as desperate as they are for staff atm, unless it's a safety issue, are they really gonna be pushing to get rid of someone who doesn't follow SOPs exactly?

Not really saying that's the right attitude for them to take, but thats kind of the state airlines are faced with.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
... it was honestly inhumane they gave her those seats. ....
No need to be so dramatic. People can be apart for a few hours, it's not that long. I remember years ago, WN would advertise the lack of assigned seating a feature because kids could get together and sit away from their parents. "parents in front, kids in back", something like that.

Families will book BE knowing they may be seated apart because they assume that the GA will still seat them together. This is further validated by GA's usually doing this even though they don't have to. If this doesn't happen, it's highly likely a passenger would rather sit next to an adult vs a "screaming toddler". So I don't have a great deal of sympathy for people who ask to switch seats. Again, it's not that long, no need to inconvenience everyone else. If it's an equiv seat, I'll still typically swap, but I won't go out of my way. Though in my experience, most kids I've sat next to are well behaved, especially with electonics these days. It can be far more comfortable than sitting next to one who needs a belt extender.

As for the boarding process, Yes, it's annoying, but I doubt it makes a significant difference in when you arrive at your destination.
ewoo likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
A few years ago I was flying ORD-PEK in economy plus, and some dad in J class plopped his 6 year old next to me and i had to entertain him for the flight. I taught him how to make fart noises with his armpits, and gave him some coffee with lots of sugar. Revenge is sweet, I suggest you do the same rather than complaining on flyertalk.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveo
A few years ago I was flying ORD-PEK in economy plus, and some dad in J class plopped his 6 year old next to me and i had to entertain him for the flight. I taught him how to make fart noises with his armpits, and gave him some coffee with lots of sugar. Revenge is sweet, I suggest you do the same rather than complaining on flyertalk.
Love that!
bescobar likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by steveo
Should've put a little Jack in his coffee .

Reminds me of what my grandfather did to me when I was 5. I was watching him make a mixed drink and he could see that I was fascinated. So, he asked me if I wanted some. I eagerly replied, "yes", and he promptly poured some whiskey into a tablespoon for me, brought it to my lips, and told me to swallow it all. It was awful, and I haven't been able to drink any alcohol to this day because of that experience. Every time I get near liquor, I get nausea.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: Continental
The Ludovico treatment!
roberto99 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eng3
No need to be so dramatic. People can be apart for a few hours, it's not that long. I remember years ago, WN would advertise the lack of assigned seating a feature because kids could get together and sit away from their parents. "parents in front, kids in back", something like that.
Are you serious? This is a 3 year-old we're talking about, not a 6 year old.
SPN Lifer, Boraxo, drewguy and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by hockey7711
The Ludovico treatment!
Maybe, but I think my grandfather was disappointed in me. He wanted to make me a tough kid and probably thought I should've handled it better. I remember after I enlisted in the Navy and would go out with my friends, that I would be mocked mercilessly because I couldn't drink anything, even beer. I was the only person that I knew of that didn't drink, didn't smoke and didn't drink coffee the entire time that I was in the service. I found out years later that I am what is called a supertaster, so that is probably why I had such a violent reaction.
SPN Lifer, wrp96 and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Concur. But I don’t think this is a summer 2022 problem it has been an issue ever since BE was introduced. It would be great it airline required seat assignments for all children <10 traveling with adults but query whether UA antiquated IT could handle that software update. And UA probably loathe to lose the bottom of barrel business to Spirit LOL. So just pretend the problem doesn’t exist and put the burden on your customers to resolve it rather than finding a better solution. A good way to lose the $900 elite. Maybe this is why DL doesn’t upgrade people to C+
Agreed. Was saying the same thing after a flight from SFO to IAH a few weeks ago. Was in E+ and my girlfriend and I lucked out with an empty middle between us. The row behind us however had a BE passenger with a lap "infant" in the middle seat. The kid was definitely too big for that and was not happy- lots of seat kicking.

In an attempt to be nice to the aisle passenger behind us and give the mom some breathing room, I offered her the aisle in our row so mom could put the kid in a seat. Mom goes great thank you now I can bring my sister up from the back so she can help me with the kid. Result for me- middle seat with the kid kicking me the whole ride. No good deed goes unpunished I guess.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
The issue is families who want to sit together buying BE. But I don't see a solution of moving non-BE, non E+ pax up first. No reason to expect that won't create problems, including from pax who were happy to buy E, not pay for E+, and chose a seat they were satisfied with.

The only way they could really handle this sensibly is to take the labor intensive approach of asking pax in E- whether they'd like to move up to E+ in order to seat BE families together in E-.
chavala and TXJeepGuy like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.