Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2022, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For domestic flight issues, use

Information resources:
UA Flight Status
FlightAware / Flightstats (flight details)
Cancelled Flights (FlightAware)
Diverted Flights

Previous international delayed / cancelled report threads
Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2021)
Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2020)
Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2019)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2018)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2015)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2014)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2012/13)

If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
[email protected], response in 30 business days
Print Wikipost

Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by ICN1K
Flying LAX-EWR-OPO. LAX-EWR(UA2614) is diverting to IAD. I think United has me protected on (UA932)IAD-FRA-OPO and (UA942)IAD-LIS-OPO because they show in my reservation. Which would you take or would wait for the plane to continue to EWR and then go EWR-OPO?
I doubt you will get to EWR tonight -- FRA > LIS for connections -- but in this case take the first flight to the EU you can -- EWR is a mess because of storms to the west of the airport.... And to me Lufthansa is better than TAP for displaced passengers -- but if you are comfortable with Trains / BlaBlaCar then getting to Lisbon is what I would choose -- FWIW -- my wife and I use BlaBla all over the EU and LOVE IT - but it's definitely not for everyone lol...

We discovered this gem of an option when in France and the trains all went on strike -- and we were on a trip from Spain to France to Italy -- we saved a ton of money and met some really interesting people along the way -- love it!

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Aug 22, 2022 at 7:13 pm
Old Aug 22, 2022, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Flying LAX-EWR-OPO. LAX-EWR(UA2614) is diverting to IAD. I think United has me protected on (UA932)IAD-FRA-OPO and (UA942)IAD-LIS-OPO because they show in my reservation. Which would you take or would wait for the plane to continue to EWR and then go EWR-OPO?
fly to FRA and then onwards. Will give you most options. Looks like the flight cancelled at IAD anyway.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA GS
Thanks for all the replies. I went with UA 932 to FRA. Will arrive about 6 hours later than expected. At least I’ll get a few extra lifetime miles.
SPN Lifer and autobahnal like this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I doubt you will get to EWR tonight -- FRA > LIS for connections -- but in this case take the first flight to the EU you can -- EWR is a mess because of storms to the west of the airport.... And to me Lufthansa is better than TAP for displaced passengers -- but if you are comfortable with Trains / BlaBlaCar then getting to Lisbon is what I would choose -- FWIW -- my wife and I use BlaBla all over the EU and LOVE IT - but it's definitely not for everyone lol...

We discovered this gem of an option when in France and the trains all went on strike -- and we were on a trip from Spain to France to Italy -- we saved a ton of money and met some really interesting people along the way -- love it!
Originally Posted by cfischer
fly to FRA and then onwards. Will give you most options. Looks like the flight cancelled at IAD anyway.
Thanks for all the replies. I went with UA 932 to FRA. Will arrive about 6 hours later than expected. At least I’ll get a few extra lifetime miles.
If you need to get to the travel waiver: Travel Waiver: East Coast Severe Weather (August 22, 2022)

David
Old Aug 22, 2022, 10:05 pm

EWR-nap 8/21&22

was listening to live ATC during my 3.5 hr tarmac fun this afternoon in EWR (never spent 10 hrs on a flight to lax before!)

captain on Ua 3043 ewr->nap announced he needed to return to gate bc of “unruly passengers” around 7pm. Looking now and that delay turned into an 11:30pm departure. Crew must have timed out, etc. nutty thing is 3043 is a recovery flight for for the 8/21 flight that got cancelled. Ouch!! You show up at 1pm on Sunday for a flight to Italy, cancelled, back Monday and then a 7hr delay.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 5:16 am

In this case UA must give them hotel, right?

Old Aug 23, 2022, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by UAFAM
In this case UA must give them hotel, right?

(screenshot of EWRSFO crew timeout delay)
There is no "must" as there is no regulation dictating such a requirement in the US. UA's policies suggest a hotel should be provided when it is their fault for the overnight delay. Technically they could make the argument the weather/ATC delays led to a timeout, but usually a crew time out they will consider UA caused even if it was weather that led to the issue. That being said, the amount of disruption at EWR last night, whether there was even any reasonable hotels available at the point the flight became an overnight delay is a completely different question.
SPN Lifer, wrp96 and UAFAM like this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 6:04 pm

United Airlines Boeing 737 Had To Return To The Gate For Fuel After 6 Hour Taxi

https://simpleflying.com/united-airl...7-6-hour-taxi/
Old Aug 30, 2022, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K; Marriott Au; Hyatt Dsc
UA1 (SFO-SIN) scheduled for 2300 (LT) departure went CX around 1615 (LT) for MX. The dreaded message:
We're sorry to let you know we've canceled flight UA1 from San Francisco to Singapore because we needed to take the plane out of service to address a technical issue.
We will let you know when you have been rebooked, or you can rebook your flight or view other flight options here: https://fly.united.com/XXXXX
You can also change your flight to a different day, departure time, or connect through a different city.
Visit united.com/refund to learn more about our cancellation and refund policies.
Confirmation number: XXXXX
We cancelled our trip because the only available re-route was through HND which would have shaved too much off our time in SIN. Also, the risk of another IRROPS @HND where they won't let you into the country is also notable.

Am surprised though, that they didn't have a spare aircraft, or had the means to get us off, perhaps a few hours late. Crew timeout shouldn't have been an issue and SFO is a major maintenance hub (they have all the parts there). I'm now becoming quite leery of 78x aircraft -- this is the second CX due to MX I've had resulting in at least a 24 hour delay. (Last one was where the battery was bad, they had to fly a spare in, and then charge it).
Old Aug 30, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Yeah, the UA1/2 cancellation is kinda surprising IMO. With all the PW 772s coming back online, there's been quite a bit of slack in the widebody fleet lately, so it's odd/annoying that UA couldn't/wouldn't shift some flying around to get a 789 out to SIN tonight or even tomorrow morning. Of the aircraft in the UA fleet, only the 789 can make it on SFO-SIN, but perhaps a 789 previously assigned to a rotation of SFO-LHR and beyond could have been swapped with a 772, etc.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K; Marriott Au; Hyatt Dsc
Originally Posted by dkc192
Yeah, the UA1/2 cancellation is kinda surprising IMO. With all the PW 772s coming back online, there's been quite a bit of slack in the widebody fleet lately, so it's odd/annoying that UA couldn't/wouldn't shift some flying around to get a 789 out to SIN tonight or even tomorrow morning. Of the aircraft in the UA fleet, only the 789 can make it on SFO-SIN, but perhaps a 789 previously assigned to a rotation of SFO-LHR and beyond could have been swapped with a 772, etc.
Exactly, especially since the worst of the UA/SQ spat comes into play -- they would not rebook on SQ, which may have preserved the trip. If UA wants to make SIN their new gateway to SE Asia (instead of HKG), they need to do better than this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 5:02 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
UA944 ORD-FRA on 9-5 just cancelled on us, "unexpected operational issue". Rebooked on LH437 ORD-MUC in G, premium economy at least so that’s great, however there goes our upgrade chances on UA....so close. Had an R fare on UA944.
Destination OSL.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by VRFast
UA944 ORD-FRA on 9-5 just cancelled on us, "unexpected operational issue". Rebooked on LH437 ORD-MUC in G, premium economy at least so that’s great, however there goes our upgrade chances on UA....so close. Had an R fare on UA944.
Destination OSL.
Can’t you apply you PPs to LH flight? Or fare class not high enough? Did you check delta toupfare to eligible booking class?
Old Sep 3, 2022, 6:13 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
Can’t you apply you PPs to LH flight? Or fare class not high enough? Did you check delta toupfare to eligible booking class?
On the phone now changing to UA flight through LHR. My daughter was not confirmed on the last flight, MUC-OSL so this is why I’m changing it (split PNR). We’ll see where we end up on the waitlist after reapplying the MUA. My wife and I are scattered around the PP cabin, but my daughter is getting the same seat as she had before at least.
Had a feeling this cx bs would happen after we split itins...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 3, 2022 at 7:35 pm
Old Sep 3, 2022, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Good luck!
VRFast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.