Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Are You Satisfied w/ UA's 2021 (+Jan 2022) PlusPoints upgrade program?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Are You Satisfied w/ UA's 2021 (+Jan 2022) PlusPoints upgrade program?
Yes, I'm satisfied and used 100% of my PlusPoints
12.87%
Yes, I'm satisfied and used at least 75% but less than 100% of my PlusPoints.
9.90%
Yes, I'm satisfied and used at least 50% but less than 75% of my PlusPoints.
6.93%
Yes, I'm satisfied and used at least 25% but less than 50% of my PlusPoint
8.91%
Yes, I'm satisfied and used less than 25% of my PlusPoints.
7.92%
No, I'm not satisfied and used 100% of my PlusPoints.
1.98%
No, I'm not satisfied and used at least 75% but less than 100% of my PlusPoints
0%
No, I'm not satisfied and used at least 50% but less than 75% of my PlusPoints.
2.97%
No, I'm not satisfied and used at least 25% but less than 50% of my PlusPoints.
11.88%
No, I'm not satisfied and used less than 25% of my PlusPoints
36.63%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 6, 2022, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Are You Satisfied w/ UA's 2021 (+Jan 2022) PlusPoints upgrade program?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2022, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I'm miffed that I see so much IN>PZ, advanced availability of PZ is pretty limited on the routes I care about esp to Europe from West Coast (though admittedly I too secured some PZ on IAH-SYD r/t for later this year).
Old Jan 9, 2022, 6:09 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mrt88
I'm miffed that I see so much IN>PZ, advanced availability of PZ is pretty limited on the routes I care about esp to Europe from West Coast (though admittedly I too secured some PZ on IAH-SYD r/t for later this year).
Agreed, although SYD is one of the best routes to apply PP's right now (if you are eligible to enter Oz). I cleared both directions during peak Christmas travel, and January is looking good too.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
So with 75 votes cast, 45% viewed the PlusPoints program favorably in 2021. Certainly less than the 58% in 2019, but not bad, considering the limited int'l schedule last year.

I'm hoping UA facilitates PP availability (via PZ or STW) to accommodate those with PP expiring in July. Will go a long way towards improving this score.

Ultimately, I believe the PP favorable rating needs to be 70%+ for Kirby to achieve his goal of making UA the 'best' airline in the sky. UA has some work to do to get there...
Old Jan 10, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Ultimately, I believe the PP favorable rating needs to be 70%+ for Kirby to achieve his goal of making UA the 'best' airline in the sky. UA has some work to do to get there...
Depends on who's judging 'best'. Having an amazing "Plus points" program would mean the most upgrades with no capacity controls would be "best" for customers but "worst" for shareholders.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Used most of my PP in 2021 on:
- one Europe RT for 2 pax,
- two transcon RT for 2 pax,
- one Hawaii OW for 2 pax,
- and some shorter flights.
Most of the longer flights were in real Polaris, which enhanced the value of the upgrades when we got lie flat on transcon or to Hawaii. That was more value for my PP than I had anticipated going into 2021 so I am happy with the PP program for now.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VWang1111
Depends on who's judging 'best'. Having an amazing "Plus points" program would mean the most upgrades with no capacity controls would be "best" for customers but "worst" for shareholders.
So you're saying having 90%+ PP satisfaction = unhappy shareholders? Kirby would disagree. He wants UA measured on an NPS scale.

What % of people are happy with Amazon Prime's 2-day shipping benefit? Probably 98%.
What % of people are happy with Apple Care's benefits? Probably 95%.

Apple & Amazon have NPS scores above 70. That's where Kirby wants to be. He'd love it if every PP holder used 100% of their PPs.

That's why he's pushing so hard to purge low spenders from the 1K tier. Will make it easier for every PP holder to use all their PPs.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
That's why he's pushing so hard to purge low spenders from the 1K tier. Will make it easier for every PP holder to use all their PPs.
The difficulty of using PP has nothing to do with low 1K spenders (lol - calling 1K low spenders); it has everything to do with UA's monetization approach to its "premium" seats.

What's your explanation of GS not happy/not being able to use their PPs? GS not spending enough?
VWang1111 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 5:35 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by mrt88
Agreed. I had 100% PP usage in 2021, but so far the outlook for 2022 usage seems not so good.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
The difficulty of using PP has nothing to do with low 1K spenders
Lot's of 1Ks flew EWR-SIN-EWR, four times per year, on low fares, and ended up with 320PP. That's enough to fly four RTs, in J, the following year!

The $24K spending threshold was going to purge those folks in 2020, but Covid... They'll get purged this year and PP pressure will significantly ease next year.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
What's your explanation of GS not happy/not being able to use their PPs? GS not spending enough?
People jump up and down saying there's no PZ. When, in reality, the limited PZ allocation is often taken by someone else.

Reducing the elite ranks by tens of thousands, which is UA's plan, will ease this pressure, allowing PZ/PN space to be visible longer.
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
People jump up and down saying there's no PZ. When, in reality, the limited PZ allocation is often taken by someone else.

Reducing the elite ranks by tens of thousands, which is UA's plan, will ease this pressure, allowing PZ/PN space to be visible longer.
Disagree with much, if any, PZ - especially on the t.p.s. routes. They're simply not offering them on prime time flights. Looking out a few months, still nada.

David
Old Jan 10, 2022, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
Disagree with much, if any, PZ - especially on the t.p.s. routes. They're simply not offering them on prime time flights. Looking out a few months, still nada.

David
It's important that companies have 'reasonable' relationships with their customers. No one cancels their Amazon Prime membership because Amazon can't deliver within 2 days, 3 days before Christmas. There is a mutual understanding that that is unreasonable.

Similarly, it's not reasonable to expect PZ on the Sunday 10pm redeye, SFO-EWR.

With reasonable PP expectations, I feel PP usage will be 100% for the typical 1K in the coming years.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's important that companies have 'reasonable' relationships with their customers. No one cancels their Amazon Prime membership because Amazon can't deliver within 2 days, 3 days before Christmas. There is a mutual understanding that that is unreasonable.

With reasonable PP expectations, I feel PP usage will be 100% for the typical 1K in the coming years.
I think it not necessary to overgeneralize what might be a "typical" 1K. We've seen many a 1K who only flew INTL, others who are domestic transcons folks, still others who flight segments day in and out.

Since this thread isn't the How are 1Ks being treated by UA? thread nor Implications of GS free 2022 status extension for 1K thread, I'd suggest 1Ks can comment as they wish and not get lorded over by others.

David
Old Jan 10, 2022, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
I think it not necessary to overgeneralize what might be a "typical" 1K.
You misunderstood. A typical 1K is one that earns ~320 PPs. My point was the typical 1K should expect 100% PP utilization, not the 1K who earns 500 PPs.

Nevertheless, I understand everyone isn't happy. That's why we do the poll. The results tell us how UA's doing.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Lot's of 1Ks flew EWR-SIN-EWR, four times per year, on low fares, and ended up with 320PP. That's enough to fly four RTs, in J, the following year!

The $24K spending threshold was going to purge those folks in 2020, but Covid... They'll get purged this year and PP pressure will significantly ease next year.
Again, you are blaming the so called "low spender 1K", but omit the high % of paid upgraders, and UA's lower fare pricing strategy.

There were more than one occasion where my position on the UG list never moved despite having 20+ available J seats after check-in - many upgrade takers.

In a year (2021) where overall travel was down (vs. 2019 for example), fewer elites were traveling, yet PPs were more difficult to use.

Last edited by Repooc17; Jan 10, 2022 at 10:03 pm
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You misunderstood. A typical 1K is one that earns ~320 PPs. My point was the typical 1K should expect 100% PP utilization, not the 1K who earns 500 PPs.

Nevertheless, I understand everyone isn't happy. That's why we do the poll. The results tell us how UA's doing.
Again, you're arguing from a false premise. All 1Ks get the PPs that accrue with their status. There are a whole bunch who don't even use PP on themselves but for others. This is analogous behavior to "many" GSs. However, note that I'm not overgeneralizing as you are.

And, even when I use PPs for others, there's still not some sort of "utitilization" function. They don't get used because, as Repooc17 correctly points out, a whole bunch of folks, some 1Ks, many GSs and now others are buying up on the TODs offers to void any option to be able to actually use the PPs.

I have no idea why you're fixated on some mythic "typical" 1K. There isn't one.

David
Repooc17 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.