Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Implications of GS free 2022 status extension for 1K

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2021, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Delta, American, ANA

Big implications for United 1k members of the announced qualification-free 2002 extension of Global Services status to those with that status now. Fliers who this year jump through reduced flying/spending hoops to earn/keep 2022 1K status will likely to find complimentary and PlusPoints upgrades again very challenging to secure in 2022.
2021 Global Service members who theoretically might not have flown at all in 2021 are advanced over those loyal at !K level who contributed to the airline in a material way in 2021.
It seems a material de facto devaluation of earned 1K status. After all, it is (actual) upgrades that are the heart of elite value, to most.
JNelson113 and bajong like this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by 2Mmiler
2021 Global Service members who theoretically might not have flown at all in 2021
Or 2020 in many instances.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by 2Mmiler
Big implications for United 1k members of the announced qualification-free 2002 extension of Global Services status to those with that status now. Fliers who this year jump through reduced flying/spending hoops to earn/keep 2022 1K status will likely to find complimentary and PlusPoints upgrades again very challenging to secure in 2022.
2021 Global Service members who theoretically might not have flown at all in 2021 are advanced over those loyal at !K level who contributed to the airline in a material way in 2021.
It seems a material de facto devaluation of earned 1K status. After all, it is (actual) upgrades that are the heart of elite value, to most.
Yes. It does seem like a devaluation. I have options now to and from Hawaii, and I am looking at them.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are GS who are flying a lot this year - in some cases close to or above pre-Covid GS qualification levels ........
Old Oct 24, 2021, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by denver19
Yes. It does seem like a devaluation. I have options now to and from Hawaii, and I am looking at them.
With 1K's getting upgraded nearly 100% to/from Hawaii - and some flights down to Silver - or going with empty F seats - I can't think of any airline that has a higher complimentary upgrade chance. Even today's EWR-HNL flight went with a empty F seat - so every 1K who requested an upgrade got upgraded. Out of UA's entire route system - a 1K in my opinion is the most valuable.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Tbh I'm still hoping they extend for everyone. Am I delusional?

I refuse to give another penny to UA after the latest deval. And bc it's UA, I'll clarify: going fully $$$ based for status.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
....I refuse to give another penny to UA ...
If you were GS, you wouldn't have to. They should have given GS who didn't re-qualify 1K. That would still have kept most of them on board until (most of them) get traveling again on OPM.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Tbh I'm still hoping they extend for everyone. Am I delusional?

I refuse to give another penny to UA after the latest deval. And bc it's UA, I'll clarify: going fully $$$ based for status.
There's no way they extend for everyone. United claims that they "already had more elites re-qualify for Premier status this year than in 2019" per an article on TPG yesterday.
pigzilla likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Clemson
There's no way they extend for everyone. United claims that they "already had more elites re-qualify for Premier status this year than in 2019" per an article on TPG yesterday.
Maybe. Premier "requal" to Silver in 2021 is one thing. Premier requal to 1K is another.

Funny how funny accounting works when you want it to look good or bad or worse or better.

David
cuthroat and aquanine like this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 6:23 pm

I earned 1k and diamond on DL this year. I did notice that as platinum on UA I got a little better treatment, but I hope the 1k thing is better. UA should make my decision on my primary carrier difficult.

I suppose it does not matter all that much though. At this point I am pretty much a WFBF kind of guy. The only thing I give up when I do that is boarding behind a handful of 1k's . Post covid I am more certain than ever I will simply buy the experience I want from travel. Chasing status is a fools errand.
zombietooth and sexykitten7 like this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cesco.g
There are GS who are flying a lot this year - in some cases close to or above pre-Covid GS qualification levels ........
Some GS flew alot in 2019, 2020, 2021 and will continue to fly alot next year - My flying never slowed down, except to Asia - which is usually only 1-2 trips a year - all of my EU stuff still happened except one trip to Brussels in the past 3 years.

The thing that COVID did for me was make me fly AA a LOT more - I have spent a ton of money on AA this year as i couldn't get a seat on UA for close to 2 months this year out of CHS. I even asked for a CK status match and was denied, but was given a EP status match and I turned it down as I didn't want to waste a once every 5 year match for EP. Including flights to EoY, I spent close to 85K this year in total.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Maybe. Premier "requal" to Silver in 2021 is one thing. Premier requal to 1K is another.
Given the very low bar with promos - it would not surprise me if the number of 1K's in 2022 are at or exceed 2019 levels.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Wouldnt the overall bounce back of OPM flying (and thus releasing hordes of GS into the system) be far more impactful on 1Ks than an extension if OPM GS stay grounded a bit longer?
Old Oct 24, 2021, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA GS
If a GS is not flying they’re not likely to be taking upgrades away from you. And if they are flying they’re probably making 1K thresholds anyway.

I myself am going to end up with about 35k PQP with bonuses. Not enough where I’d be feeling comfortable about GS requal without the extension, but enough where I’m not really feeling guilty about being ahead of 1Ks.
Grog, uanj, seanp7 and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by villox
If a GS is not flying they’re not likely to be taking upgrades away from you. And if they are flying they’re probably making 1K thresholds anyway….
The GSs I know in Houston are grounded and definitely wouldn’t make 1K on their own. I don’t know if they’d even get to Plat out of their own pocket. They still travel for vacation and it doesn’t take too many GS and spouses/spawn to deplete upgrade inventory.

What’s interesting is they may never reach GS again unless UA lowers normal $ thresholds, so they’ll take all the gifts UA is doling out in the meantime. The amount of travel they did pre-pandemic is not going be available to them post-pandemic. Management is definitely accelerating adoption of non- in person meetings.

My guess is Houston sees the biggest drop (percentage-wise) of GS flyers in next couple of years (vs other hubs).
DrMilano likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 24, 2021 at 8:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.