Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 22, 8:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: st530
Wiki Link
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).
GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Last year's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2021]


Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Quote:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number with fastest pickup times, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (PlusPoints or miles) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
  • Effective January 2021, GS members who do not have a United Club membership may access United Clubs on domestic itineraries, but no guests are permitted.
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

Most benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with PlusPoints if PN inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Can now be completed online/via the app, in most circumstances.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade (miles/co-pay or PlusPoints) within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service for one segment of the itinerary with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (PlusPoints or miles) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased, and for one segment in the itinerary, per caveats noted below. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy. (Note: VIP Lounges in NRT and HKG remain closed due to Covid-19; LHR VIP now open.)
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits
  • Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
  • According to GS Customer Service, a GS on a paid coach fare using an instrument will clear into Polaris business before a lower-status passenger with a paid PremiumPlus fare (i.e. O, A, R). In other words, for example, a paid O, A, R for a 1K will not give higher priority than a GS with a W fare if both are using 40 PlusPoints. This is true even on the gate waitlist.
  • Post 12/12/2019, agents have been instructed that they can only grant a companion exception for one segment per round trip journey. Thus, if you have a roundtrip premium fare, they will only open saver space, or force an upgrade, for one segment. This means you must either waitlist (if upgrading) or use a standard award, for the remaining segments.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 19, 22, 12:00 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Programs: Mileage plus
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
1 year spend at that amount doesn't automagically qualify for a GS invitation. Bigger spend gets bigger attention on a 1 year basis. Again, UA's looking at UA metal spend, pre-taxes and pre-fees, not simply total spend that they don't get any credit for. They'll look at partner spend but their needle is attached to what you did for them.

David
it was a 100% UA metal bought directly with United. 53K was just PQP number
Nim556 is offline  
Old Jan 19, 22, 12:01 pm
  #62  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: EWR
Programs: UA GS, MR Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
1 year spend at that amount doesn't automagically qualify for a GS invitation. Bigger spend gets bigger attention on a 1 year basis. Again, UA's looking at UA metal spend, pre-taxes and pre-fees, not simply total spend that they don't get any credit for. They'll look at partner spend but their needle is attached to what you did for them.

David
It depends, I switched to UA from Delta in 2018 after I moved from Atlanta to northern NJ. In 2018, my UA metal spend was $28K which qualified for 1K. In 2019 my UA metal spend was $63K which bumped me to GS. Do I think they would have made me GS even if I had zero spend in 2018? Probably. But if I was around the $50K mark? I'd call it even odds. Regardless, spend of $50K in a pandemic year should equate to spend of $60K+ in normal years, I am surprised his wife did not get a GS invite.
pigzilla is offline  
Old Jan 19, 22, 12:03 pm
  #63  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: EWR
Programs: UA GS, MR Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by Nim556 View Post
it was a 100% UA metal bought directly with United. 53K was just PQP number
If $53K is PQP, you probably need to subtract the bonus PQP that UA gave us last year from all the promotions. Likely actual spend closer to $40K in that case (based on my flying/spend where I received $12K in bonus PQP in 2021, YMMV)
pigzilla is offline  
Old Jan 19, 22, 1:07 pm
  #64  
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Programs: Mileage plus
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by pigzilla View Post
If $53K is PQP, you probably need to subtract the bonus PQP that UA gave us last year from all the promotions. Likely actual spend closer to $40K in that case (based on my flying/spend where I received $12K in bonus PQP in 2021, YMMV)
first year using United so she didnít have any bonus PQP
Nim556 is offline  
Old Jan 19, 22, 1:37 pm
  #65  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: EWR
Programs: UA GS, MR Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by Nim556 View Post
first year using United so she didnít have any bonus PQP
General members did actually get bonus PQP last year, just not as much as elites.

Q1 Bonus PQP - On the first three PQP-earning trips taken between January 1st through March 31st, members without Premier status will earn 50% bonus PQP and Premier members will earn 100% bonus PQP. Earnings under this bonus will be capped at 1,500 PQP per trip for elites or 1,000 PQP for general members.
The Q2 Pick Your Path promo was for Silver and above but possibly your wife was already Silver+ (organically) by then so she may have gotten some PQP out of that.

Q3/Q4 Breakout Bonus had bonus PQP in varying amounts from General Member through 1K.

Best way to see exactly how much bonus PQP she got is to check Mileage Activity details in her United account.
pigzilla is offline  
Old Jan 19, 22, 2:22 pm
  #66  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
Posts: 515
Do you need to typically ticket on 016 stock and fly UA metal to qualify for GS spend historically? Or is flying on UA metal on letís say LH or LX ticket stock enough to add to the tally?
saccoNY is offline  
Old Jan 19, 22, 2:23 pm
  #67  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORF, RIC
Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Posts: 5,293
On ďactivity detailsĒ of App, look for flight activities. Those items with zero award miles should be ignored (PQP was associated with promotion). The other items have PQP and PQF info below the award miles.
Just add all of them up!
Good luck with GS invite!
Kmxu is online now  
Old Jan 19, 22, 3:10 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: EWR
Programs: UA GS, MR Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by saccoNY View Post
Do you need to typically ticket on 016 stock and fly UA metal to qualify for GS spend historically? Or is flying on UA metal on letís say LH or LX ticket stock enough to add to the tally?
Pretty sure it needs to be 016 stock + UA metal, as UA does not get LH/LX ticket revenue.
Air Houston likes this.
pigzilla is offline  
Old Jan 19, 22, 5:47 pm
  #69  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Posts: 1,930
Originally Posted by saccoNY View Post
Do you need to typically ticket on 016 stock and fly UA metal to qualify for GS spend historically? Or is flying on UA metal on let’s say LH or LX ticket stock enough to add to the tally?
Originally Posted by pigzilla View Post
Pretty sure it needs to be 016 stock + UA metal, as UA does not get LH/LX ticket revenue.
Unless United changed the policy sometime during the pandemic, GS qualifying flights need to be paid (not award) flights on UA or UX metal and credited to Mileage Plus. Carrier code (LH, LX, AC) does not change eligibility but does have an impact on how much revenue United earns for the flight (so affects your GS spend number).

There is a single year spending threshold that to qualify.for GS which could change year to year. United also has had a higher three year average threshold which could help GS members who missed requalifying by a small margin for the current year but have spent more in the two prior years. This would not help first-time qualifiers, only re-qualifiers because the three year threshold average is higher than the single year threshold.

I was consistently told the above points over different years so I think they are most probably correct. Of course, with unpublished criteria it could change and we would not know.

FTers sometimes say the airport where someone is based determines the threshold to make GS. Many years ago AA played around with this but one contact at United told me this was not generally a consideration. There is a small degree of flexibility so individual markets and senior executives could make sure key customers made GS. I also think it is highly possible they ran tests in certain markets to see if lowering the threshold increased the spend for those who would not have made GS otherwise. Perhaps even vv.

I am only sharing what I have been told, so take it with a grain of salt. Lack of published criteria means it can change at any time.
uanj is offline  
Old Jan 19, 22, 6:34 pm
  #70  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 23
I had several friends that got GS invites with about 40k spend in 2020 fist pandemic year). And the majority of their miles came from Lufthansa or Al Nippon flights bought through United. Possibly just pandemic related.

Last year I flew 53k PQP. But there were bonuses added so I donít have an exact dollar amount. Probably low 40s? The vast majority was on UA and J class. I emailed United last week about GS and they said they would completed GS reviews by Jan 24.

Not sure if Iíll get GS or not, and not a big deal if not. UA is my third choice. Mainly Delta (360) and AA. AA is also doing their review for Concierge Key. Iím pretty sure Iíll make that (63k EQD), but their mileage was from Nov 2020 until the end of Jan. A 15 month window this year, kind of strange.

Anyway, Iíll let you know if I get an inviteÖ
pigzilla likes this.
Memtiger is offline  
Old Jan 20, 22, 12:19 pm
  #71  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 3,586
Originally Posted by uanj View Post
Unless United changed the policy sometime during the pandemic, GS qualifying flights need to be paid (not award) flights on UA or UX metal and credited to Mileage Plus. Carrier code (LH, LX, AC) does not change eligibility but does have an impact on how much revenue United earns for the flight (so affects your GS spend number).

There is a single year spending threshold that to qualify.for GS which could change year to year. United also has had a higher three year average threshold which could help GS members who missed requalifying by a small margin for the current year but have spent more in the two prior years. This would not help first-time qualifiers, only re-qualifiers because the three year threshold average is higher than the single year threshold.

I was consistently told the above points over different years so I think they are most probably correct. Of course, with unpublished criteria it could change and we would not know.

FTers sometimes say the airport where someone is based determines the threshold to make GS. Many years ago AA played around with this but one contact at United told me this was not generally a consideration. There is a small degree of flexibility so individual markets and senior executives could make sure key customers made GS. I also think it is highly possible they ran tests in certain markets to see if lowering the threshold increased the spend for those who would not have made GS otherwise. Perhaps even vv.

I am only sharing what I have been told, so take it with a grain of salt. Lack of published criteria means it can change at any time.
If we take at face value the numerous reports here from past years (collated on spreadsheets) of UA metal spend and granting/denying of GS status, it is not possible that there is a single numerical threshold for GS each year that is applied to all candidates uniformly.
iluv2fly, Dyce and porciuscato like this.
physioprof is offline  
Old Jan 22, 22, 11:51 am
  #72  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 402
Upcoming flight, CPU eligible
was rebooked into an M fare (underlying fare i assume is still S)
As a GS am #1 on the list however my companion (silver) on same PNR is all the way at the bottom #24.
Called in and was told it's based on her silver status and when I do online check in, it will let me me designate her as my companion and will bring her to #2.

not sure if I should bother calling again it's a shot flight
Kleinnaf is offline  
Old Jan 22, 22, 2:07 pm
  #73  
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Programs: Mileage plus
Posts: 11
Anyone get first timer 2022 GS invite yet? Anyone at all?
manstein58 likes this.
Nim556 is offline  
Old Jan 22, 22, 3:18 pm
  #74  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: BOS, PVG
Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 9,233
Originally Posted by Kleinnaf View Post
Upcoming flight, CPU eligible
was rebooked into an M fare (underlying fare i assume is still S)
As a GS am #1 on the list however my companion (silver) on same PNR is all the way at the bottom #24.
Called in and was told it's based on her silver status and when I do online check in, it will let me me designate her as my companion and will bring her to #2.

not sure if I should bother calling again it's a shot flight
I would call. Don't want to sit in two different cabins with companion.

I thought it's automatic that you and companion should be ranked together on upgrade list. Your story is a surprise to me.
nomad420 likes this.
kb1992 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 22, 12:14 pm
  #75  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by Nim556 View Post
Anyone get first timer 2022 GS invite yet? Anyone at all?
They told me they would finish reviewing accounts ďaroundĒ Jan 24 (tomorrow). Weíll see!

Last edited by Memtiger; Jan 23, 22 at 7:15 pm
Memtiger is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread