Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United confirms that Denver is getting a new — and very unique — lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United confirms that Denver is getting a new — and very unique — lounge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
Grab and go instead of getting a Polaris offering going at DEN? Poor choice.
I just don't think a flight to Frankfurt, London, Munich, and Tokyo will be enough volume to warrant a Polaris lounge.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lsquare
It can't just be any sandwiches either. I ain't game for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Maybe some sort of fancy chef-inspired sandwiches?
Any better?

Seasonal Mountain Berry Preserves expertly blended with a Locally Sourced Roasted Wild Peanut Purιe, presented on a fresh Artisanal Brioche Bun.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Does anyone know or has reported what the ~1500sq ft currently looks like, i.e. what is there now?

There seem to be quite a few naysayers in this thread because it's not a 'real' club/lounge, but I actually give UA the benefit of the doubt on this.
Better to have SOME kind of lounge than nothing at all, and finding thousands and thousands of square feet in an established airport for a lounge can't be easy.

The pop-lounges in Terminal C at EWR weren't very nice, but they were better than nothing; this seems to be huge step up from that, even if it's not a full blown lounge.

What I got in a nutshell from the blog post on what this lounge is going to look like: "internally dubbed a “United Club Lite""
Old Dec 7, 2021, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by kateem
I honestly can't figure this out. I thought the point of a "lounge" membership was to have a private, quiet space to get some room. For years, I have had a club membership (through work), and I never use it because the clubs are more crowded than the terminals. I can't imagine that I would prefer to grab and go whatever junk they'll have vs. dropping $15 on something decent. This will end up being a really expense bottle of water for many.
It's already been mentioned several times. Other UCs at DEN if you want space to do some work. Private and quiet? I guess that will depend on the time of day that you arrive.

Originally Posted by EWR764
This is a pure add. DEN is getting two, maybe three all-new, large. full-service United Clubs, PLUS this grab-and-go concept at a distant boarding area that handles lots of connecting pax. If executed reasonably well, it's a win, and could add value elsewhere at airports where there are space constraints or long walks to other clubs.

In 2-3 years, DEN will go from possibly the worst hub (in terms of United Club experience) to arguably the best.
For me, it's all about the food. At a minimum, a UC should have similar food quality as a DL SkyClub.

Originally Posted by clubord
Any better?

Seasonal Mountain Berry Preserves expertly blended with a Locally Sourced Roasted Wild Peanut Purιe, presented on a fresh Artisanal Brioche Bun.

🤣

Old Dec 7, 2021, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Maybe they realized that people with short connections value the ability to quickly grab a bite to eat much more than they value somewhere to sit and hang out for a while. I can’t wait to try it. Should we start a thread to guess the opening date?
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Air Houston
Maybe they realized that people with short connections value the ability to quickly grab a bite to eat much more than they value somewhere to sit and hang out for a while. I can’t wait to try it. Should we start a thread to guess the opening date?
Well, there's already a popup at B59: Which United Club (UC) at DEN? (East UC closed 1 yr for renovation - popup coming?)

David
Old Dec 7, 2021, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Yeah, umm, how about a Polaris lounge?
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:04 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, IHG Ambassador
If UA is going to try gimics to differentiate its clubs, how about utilizing 1,500 square feet of space at international and major hub airports and installing a club with showers only? There are plenty of options for food now that more eateries are reopening. Unless UA ups their game in their domestic clubs to match food quality at their international club locations, showers would probably be appreciated by lots of flyers and United Club members without access to Polaris Lounges.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
The Friendly Showers of United.
lsquare, denver19 and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
The Friendly Showers of United.
As long as UA steps up its game. I honestly feel like UC have fallen behind the competition.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I just don't think a flight to Frankfurt, London, Munich, and Tokyo will be enough volume to warrant a Polaris lounge.
I have LAX on line one for you…
rch4u likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 1:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by david_oz
I'm a big fan of the air canada cafe at YYZ, although i haven't been there since the pandemic (not sure if its still open?). If that's the concept they are trying to emulate then I think its a great idea
I like the concept but I've always found the food inedible. Being able to get a real Illy espresso would be amazing, though.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 2:50 am

LH has been operating this concept - at least pre-pandemic - in MUC. It's called "Delights to Go," basically a self-service mini-lounge inside the departures area (not on the lounge floor) that requires a qualifying boarding pass to enter. It had the status of "lounge" inside the LH network but not inside *A, access limited to LH/LX/OS F/J and MaM status members.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
when they said they found a small space for a specialized lounge? Say 150 premium pax a day? Have it open 2 p.m. till 8 p.m. It would work IMO.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 6:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
well, you have 6 transatlantic and 1 pacific flight between UA/LH, and once A-West is up and running, we'll see another added. And if LX decides to jump back to DEN (there was talk from LH that LX was going to swap over WK back in 2019 for S20, but who knows now)

Given how much bad press the clubs are getting in DEN, regardless of how nice they will be after refurb, the amount of people UA is pumping in/out will keep those clubs, its just a quieter rave. Maybe they'll recognize the need to truly focus on "quality" as Scott puts it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.