Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United confirms that Denver is getting a new — and very unique — lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United confirms that Denver is getting a new — and very unique — lounge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
I'm a big fan of the air canada cafe at YYZ, although i haven't been there since the pandemic (not sure if its still open?). If that's the concept they are trying to emulate then I think its a great idea
Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:38 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
I think a price increase is coming. The comparable Delta SkyClub membership (guest access) is $845 for a general member, compared to $650 for the United Club.

If we want Delta quality, I think we should expect to pay Delta prices... of course, United must hold up its end of the bargain.
I don't think we will get Delta quality since United decided to go with a separate Polaris Lounge. Delta on the other hand chose to enhance Sky Club so that it can be used for premium cabin passengers along with any paid members by charging them higher price for the better quality.
uanj likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
It's an option - 2 lounges at DEN - and an additional grab and go option
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
The quality is maddeningly inconsistent. I’ve not been too that many clubs in 2021 (maybe 7-8), but quality/quantity is all over the map, and none are close to ORD B6/LAX immediately pre-Covid. Not even close.
Originally Posted by seat38a
So essentially they are officially sanctioning what people, including myself are already doing at the over crowded single United Club at DEN. Only difference is we don't have to shove it into purses and backpacks as we do currently.

I even asked staff if I can take it out since like literally 100% of the seats were taken up including all of the work stations and the few random seats near the bathroom entrance. All they told me was "I didn't hear anything nor see anything."
Was at DEN club last month & again last Thursday 5p. One club was still temporarily closed, and the only one open at B32 had long line outside waiting to enter, and very crowded with most seats inside taken. I just grabbed some stuff & left.

The food has improved to nearly level of SFO & LAX clubs, with 3 wrapped sandwich options (Roast Beef Slider, Hoagie, Turkey & Ham) & 1 soup (either Tomato soup or Potato-Celery?), lots of fruits (apples, bananas), various chips & cookies.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by npei; Dec 7, 2021 at 12:02 pm
Old Dec 7, 2021, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
It can't just be any sandwiches either. I ain't game for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Maybe some sort of fancy chef-inspired sandwiches?
I'm perfectly happy with the basic turkey and egg salad options they've been serving up at ORD. Sometimes just solid basic food is the bet. And it's well-packages so I can grab one for the flight.

Overall if they had ORD B7 lounge food system-wide I'd be pretty happy, even if the hot dogs were subbed out based on location, the rest of the selection seems to have everyone's base needs covered.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Grab and go instead of a lounge? Sounds like $650 membership is a food/beverage subscription instead of a lounge experience. Hopefully this will not become the direction of all UCs.Need to compare money spent on membership vs what one would buy on concourse throughout the year.
or even worse, make it two-tiered (UC & UC+)

grab and go = star gold & UC
existing UC = no more star gold, need UC+ membership
Polaris = no change, J/F only
Old Dec 7, 2021, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by seat38a
I don't think we will get Delta quality since United decided to go with a separate Polaris Lounge. Delta on the other hand chose to enhance Sky Club so that it can be used for premium cabin passengers along with any paid members by charging them higher price for the better quality.
The average SkyClub has a better F&B program than the average United Club, even in non-gateway locations. United has already communicated internally plans to improve the United Club F&B offerings.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 1:07 pm

If truly grab and go… need some sort of system where one boarding pass scan can get a certain limit of items… a drink, a water, a sandwich or salad, and a snack… once every 4 hours or something or else it’ll just be a free for all buffet grabbing for the whole crew outside and cut backs will come out immediately. Keep people in check and food cost reasonable so (hopefully) quality of food (if it started with quality food) continues.
travelingman79 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Grab and go instead of a lounge? Sounds like $650 membership is a food/beverage subscription instead of a lounge experience.
uanj and _fx like this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Grab and go instead of a lounge? Sounds like $650 membership is a food/beverage subscription instead of a lounge experience.
Dιjΰ vu!
Answered before: there's two 'proper' lounges PLUS this proposed grab-n'-go one.
worldwidedreamer and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 3:49 pm

I honestly can't figure this out. I thought the point of a "lounge" membership was to have a private, quiet space to get some room. For years, I have had a club membership (through work), and I never use it because the clubs are more crowded than the terminals. I can't imagine that I would prefer to grab and go whatever junk they'll have vs. dropping $15 on something decent. This will end up being a really expense bottle of water for many.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
This totally makes sense to me. If you look at where the proposed lounge will be located, it's right where the mainline UA gates end and the dedicated UX gates begin. So, for folks who are trying to make a short connection to a UX flight that is likely to have more limited in-flight service than a mainline route, this provides a convenient option to get something quick to eat / drink on the way.
coolbeans202, lsquare and narvik like this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
This is a pure add. DEN is getting two, maybe three all-new, large. full-service United Clubs, PLUS this grab-and-go concept at a distant boarding area that handles lots of connecting pax. If executed reasonably well, it's a win, and could add value elsewhere at airports where there are space constraints or long walks to other clubs.

In 2-3 years, DEN will go from possibly the worst hub (in terms of United Club experience) to arguably the best.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Grab and go, sounds like what I saw in the ord lpc long last week. One dude grabbing three egg salad sandwiches. I feel bad for whomever was sitting next to them.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Grab and go instead of getting a Polaris offering going at DEN? Poor choice.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:02 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
The clubs are packed across the system - quite frankly a price increase is needed if only to thin the ranks - but I don't see how anyone could argue the current quality is not far higher than pre-covid.
Do you honestly think that increasing the price of admission by the cost of a Starbucks coffee once a week will deter the UA frequent flyer from re-upping their UC membership??

I think that the food choices are better but it is instructive to delve back into the threads complaining about the UCs back in the teens. They are surprising similar to those in this thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.