Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United confirms that Denver is getting a new — and very unique — lounge

Old Dec 7, 21, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...and-go-denver/

The Denver International Airport is about to get its third United Club — but this one will be very different from the airline’s two existing lounges in the B Concourse.

The lounge will be just 1,563 square feet, featuring limited seating and a customer service counter. The lounge’s focus will be on grab-and-go food and beverages, as opposed to the traditional clubs which offer a variety of seating, a bar, a buffet and meeting spaces.
Very interesting development!
Air Houston and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Dec 7, 21, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, OZ Diamond
I really enjoyed the AC Cafe, so this could be a nice development
lsquare and WorldwideChoppers like this.
Old Dec 7, 21, 11:04 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I like a grab and go option - but everyone with all the enhanced offerings at the clubs and now grab and go should be prepared for a price increase.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 7, 21, 11:10 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
I like a grab and go option - but everyone with all the enhanced offerings at the clubs and now grab and go should be prepared for a price increase.
I think a price increase is coming. The comparable Delta SkyClub membership (guest access) is $845 for a general member, compared to $650 for the United Club.

If we want Delta quality, I think we should expect to pay Delta prices... of course, United must hold up its end of the bargain.
SPN Lifer, MatthewLAX and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 7, 21, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dinoscool3 View Post
I really enjoyed the AC Cafe, so this could be a nice development
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
I think a price increase is coming. The comparable Delta SkyClub membership (guest access) is $845 for a general member, compared to $650 for the United Club.

If we want Delta quality, I think we should expect to pay Delta prices... of course, United must hold up its end of the bargain.
The food needs to be good. I was at UC DEN in February 2020, and the food options were terrible. The only thing that I thought was worth eating a piece or two was the carrot and dip...
Old Dec 7, 21, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
The food needs to be good. I was at UC DEN in February 2020, and the food options were terrible. The only thing that I thought was worth eating a piece or two was the carrot and dip...
They also need a baseline consistency - such as sandwiches - and allow clubs to have some unique items like hot dogs at ORD. Nothing at HNL is appealing to me - no sandwiches and while they are going for uniqueness - and I'm game for unique - it doesn't work for me at least at HNL.
lincolnjkc and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 7, 21, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Elite
I say show us the quality before expecting that anyone is going to pay SkyClub prices.
CALMSP and tcdtcd like this.
Old Dec 7, 21, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by CMH500 View Post
I say show us the quality before expecting that anyone is going to pay SkyClub prices.
The clubs are packed across the system - quite frankly a price increase is needed if only to thin the ranks - but I don't see how anyone could argue the current quality is not far higher than pre-covid.
SPN Lifer, EWR764 and SFHokie like this.
Old Dec 7, 21, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

They also need a baseline consistency - such as sandwiches - and allow clubs to have some unique items like hot dogs at ORD. Nothing at HNL is appealing to me - no sandwiches, and while they are going for uniqueness - and I'm game for unique - it doesn't work for me at least at HNL.
It can't just be any sandwiches either. I ain't game for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Maybe some sort of fancy chef-inspired sandwiches?
Old Dec 7, 21, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Grab and go instead of a lounge? Sounds like $650 membership is a food/beverage subscription instead of a lounge experience. Hopefully this will not become the direction of all UCs.Need to compare money spent on membership vs what one would buy on concourse throughout the year.
Daze, SPN Lifer, Billiken and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 21, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Grab and go instead of a lounge?
It's an option - 2 lounges at DEN - and an additional grab and go option
lsquare and narvik like this.
Old Dec 7, 21, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Grab and go instead of a lounge? Sounds like $650 membership is a food/beverage subscription instead of a lounge experience. Hopefully this will not become the direction of all UCs.Need to compare money spent on membership vs what one would buy on concourse throughout the year.
Why can't it be both? UC food is terrible compared to Centurion Lounge and DL SkyClub!
Old Dec 7, 21, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
I can see it now, long lines in the terminal area to make a pass thru & people heaping their bags full of junk food.

Sounds like a good idea on paper but I think it will be difficult to put into practice.
Old Dec 7, 21, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.9+ MM, Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
The clubs are packed across the system - quite frankly a price increase is needed if only to thin the ranks - but I don't see how anyone could argue the current quality is not far higher than pre-covid.
The quality is maddeningly inconsistent. I’ve not been too that many clubs in 2021 (maybe 7-8), but quality/quantity is all over the map, and none are close to ORD B6/LAX immediately pre-Covid. Not even close.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Dec 7, 21, 12:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
So essentially they are officially sanctioning what people, including myself are already doing at the over crowded single United Club at DEN. Only difference is we don't have to shove it into purses and backpacks as we do currently.

I even asked staff if I can take it out since like literally 100% of the seats were taken up including all of the work stations and the few random seats near the bathroom entrance. All they told me was "I didn't hear anything nor see anything."

Search this Thread