Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 2023 Qualifying Requirements (first The Points Guy, now UA.com)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2021, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
From: https://mileageplusupdates.com/mileageplus/english/qualification/

Print Wikipost

United 2023 Qualifying Requirements (first The Points Guy, now UA.com)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2021, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You did get new PlusPoints
Your unexpired PlusPoints got extended to Jan 2023 (versus July 2022 for that did not fly / re-earn status in 2021)

May not be enough for some but not zlich

We will see if anything more gets added, 2022 is just getting started
Agreed...

I think Luc has done the best he could under the circumstances... referring to Luc Bondar, VP of Mileageplus...
Old Dec 31, 2021, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by pduck01
So…for those of us who actually flew in 2021 we get…zilch compared to everyone who got extended?
correct.
Some rollover would have been nice.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 9:41 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Maybe they will see what bookings look like and if they are below the levels a year ago, they will start offering promotions.

LH said bookings for the first two months were way down and they canceled many flights.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by agayam
Agreed...

I think Luc has done the best he could under the circumstances... referring to Luc Bondar, VP of Mileageplus...
Uh huh (skeptical tone).
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I got my hopes up there would be some rollover when I logged into the app and saw my PQPs/PQFs hadn’t reset. But they have on the website. Still feel burned about the promo and all I got was these lousy PQPs!
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by exp
Maybe they will see what bookings look like and if they are below the levels a year ago, they will start offering promotions.

LH said bookings for the first two months were way down and they canceled many flights.
May be not PC to bring up here... there is no real news on whether the cancellations were driven by weather or by the pilots due to the mandates...

Everyone in media blames the "virus" for the cancellations....
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by deskover54
shall we take bets if this looks the same on 12/31/22? Hoping it gets reduced again! With Omicron swarming, I forsee another year of very depressed business travel for most people.
My bet is that the requirements in 2023 for 2024 qualifying are the same or higher. UA will continue to use PQP promos as they feel necessary to maintain incentives for loyalty.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
...We will see if anything more gets added, 2022 is just getting started
Yup, January 1 is the start of the qualifying spend/segments for 2023 status. UA still has a month until the new status year to do the right thing and announce priority within Premier levels for upgrades to those who spent the money and flew the segments (if needed) to qualify, as Delta has done, and as AA implicitly does. Hopefully they cut down on promotions a bit also - the airports prove people are flying again.
JNelson113 and am1108 like this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yup, January 1 is the start of the qualifying spend/segments for 2023 status. UA still has a month until the new status year to do the right thing and announce priority within Premier levels for upgrades to those who spent the money and flew the segments (if needed) to qualify, as Delta has done, and as AA implicitly does. Hopefully they cut down on promotions a bit also - the airports prove people are flying again.
The airports may show people are flying again - however, are enough flying UA that they'll back off any incentive promos or do they need to actually compete?

David
Old Jan 2, 2022, 12:29 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by agayam
May be not PC to bring up here... there is no real news on whether the cancellations were driven by weather or by the pilots due to the mandates...

Everyone in media blames the "virus" for the cancellations....
Based on United's own press release, natch.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
The airports may show people are flying again - however, are enough flying UA that they'll back off any incentive promos or do they need to actually compete?

David
Even with the latest Covid surge, latest TSA checkpoint 7-day average between December 26, 2021 to January 1, 2022 (1,927,163) is only 16% off from December 26, 2019 to January 1, 2020 (2,300,319). No idea how that translates into specific airlines, but in general, it might dis-incentivize UA from handing out free PQP. We'll see...

For comparison, the same period last year, December 26, 2020 to January 1, 2021 (7-day average of 1,064,667) was off 54% from December 26, 2019 to January 1, 2020.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: united
This is fine, but it's worth understanding the relationship between this and the service complaints in the other thread. The reason for both is that airlines are doing less business than they used to.

​​​​​
Old Jan 2, 2022, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Even with the latest Covid surge, latest TSA checkpoint 7-day average between December 26, 2021 to January 1, 2022 (1,927,163) is only 16% off from December 26, 2019 to January 1, 2020 (2,300,319). No idea how that translates into specific airlines, but in general, it might dis-incentivize UA from handing out free PQP. We'll see...
Wouldnt this be simply becase of holiday traffic?

Wouldnt United care more about the level of OPM traffic they are seeing (or more likely not seeing) during other less heavy-travel days/months of the year?

Isnt United's entire elite status system is geared towards OPM flyers? (While one can argue the RDM system is geared towards credit card holders). OPM doesnt make a full come back, United will have to continue offering incentives.
And international OPM flying is not making a full come back anytime soon, if ever, especially TPAC.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Wouldnt this be simply becase of holiday traffic?

Wouldnt United care more about the level of OPM traffic they are seeing (or more likely not seeing) during other less heavy-travel days/months of the year?

Isnt United's entire elite status system is geared towards OPM flyers? (While one can argue the RDM system is geared towards credit card holders). OPM doesnt make a full come back, United will have to continue offering incentives.
And international OPM flying is not making a full come back anytime soon, if ever, especially TPAC.
Infer the data however you'd like. Absent proprietary data from specific airlines, all I have posted are TSA average traffic for the past 7 days and for the same period a year and 2 years ago. Feel free to look at other periods, and you will find similar trends - much smaller variance in 2021 to present vs. the same period in 2019; whereas the deficit was more significant 2020 vs. 2019.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Infer the data however you'd like. Absent proprietary data from specific airlines, all I have posted are TSA average traffic for the past 7 days and for the same period a year and 2 years ago. Feel free to look at other periods, and you will find similar trends - much smaller variance in 2021 to present vs. the same period in 2019; whereas the deficit was more significant 2020 vs. 2019.
So you are suggesting OPM work flying (focus group and majority of United elites) is also only down 16% pre pandemic?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.