Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

BOS-SFO was PS, was Business, now First, UC no/yes?, service levels? summer no 752s

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-SFO was PS, was Business, now First, UC no/yes?, service levels? summer no 752s

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nintendude
I'm flying BOS - SFO and noticed the mileage upgrade award still includes the copay even though I'm a premier member. Since this isn't a PS route anymore (?), has anyone tried to get this waived by calling?
I would call. The route is no longer listed as p.s. That said, on board service is still p.s. and you get lounge access at BOS and at SFO. So it's kind of in the middle right now. Unfortunately, all flights are now 73M So I am avoiding them mostly, except in 3 weeks a daytime BOS-SFO-KOA where it seemed just as good/bad as any other reasonable option that was available.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
A thoughtful UA agent told me recently that when the 77As are returned to service, one or more might be used for BOS-SFO and/or displace 757s from other domestic routes so they can return to BOS-SFO.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by wxguy
A thoughtful UA agent told me recently that when the 77As are returned to service, one or more might be used for BOS-SFO and/or displace 757s from other domestic routes so they can return to BOS-SFO.
while that is good news in general, the 77As are horrendous up front and very few seats as well ... so let's hope EWR-SFO will get the 77As and and BOS-SFO the 752s

I wonder if they will bring the 28J 752s back
droopydog and nomad420 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
while that is good news in general, the 77As are horrendous up front and very few seats as well ... so let's hope EWR-SFO will get the 77As and and BOS-SFO the 752s

I wonder if they will bring the 28J 752s back
I thought it was already definitively no for 28J 752, decided a few years ago. Or is there still some chance?? It would be nice.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by nomad420
...Much of that was when it was still classified as a "Premium route", that has since been dropped...
When did this route stop becoming PS? Last time I flew it 2018 and 2019 both times on a 757 when the service was definitely PS but haven't flown it since. Is it just standard "United First" now?
Old Jan 22, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
When did this route stop becoming PS? Last time I flew it 2018 and 2019 both times on a 757 when the service was definitely PS but haven't flown it since. Is it just standard "United First" now?
Yeah just "standard" now. Not sure exactly when the change occurred. I would to say early pandemic, 2020 maybe June. Someone else here can probably give you the exact date.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Yeah just "standard" now. Not sure exactly when the change occurred. I would to say early pandemic, 2020 maybe June. Someone else here can probably give you the exact date.
no no worries no need for exact date, my post was moved here from another thread so I learned a lot in the last 10-15 min just by reading upthread. But I'm definitely curious, so the route is marketed as "united first" but does it still offer PS options? Like as in not "chicken with latin rice" or "Italian ragu"
Old Jan 22, 2022, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's my memory too: summer 2020. They were subbing the SFO-EWR redeye to 737 with regularity too, then, which just seems cruel.

SFO-BOS has kind of floated around in a weird in-between ps/not-ps state since then.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
It happened at the same time they added SFO/LAX transcons to JFK.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I believe as a technicality, it is still p.s. It is a Business-marketed route which grants lounge access. However, it has been served by recliner 73M exclusively for a number of a months.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
no no worries no need for exact date, my post was moved here from another thread so I learned a lot in the last 10-15 min just by reading upthread. But I'm definitely curious, so the route is marketed as "united first" but does it still offer PS options? Like as in not "chicken with latin rice" or "Italian ragu"
I believe they are still running some lie-flats now but the last time I flew SFO_BOS it was indeed a 737 and my PP request for upgrade failed. That was just pre Thanksgiving. I guess the only good news is if you want to try for a CPU on this route you now can as unlikely that may be.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
It happened at the same time they added SFO/LAX transcons to JFK.
Those weren't related. JFK service resumption was March 2021, but here is a thread predating that—
BOS-SFO no longer Premium Transcon Service? Temporary? Permanent?
—and a post earlier than that alluding to removal of lie-flats from the route—
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32468972-post701.html.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I believe they are still running some lie-flats now but the last time I flew SFO_BOS it was indeed a 737 and my PP request for upgrade failed. That was just pre Thanksgiving. I guess the only good news is if you want to try for a CPU on this route you now can as unlikely that may be.
Sorry, I am not going to take 737 on this route. Six + hour is too taxing to my aging body :-)

In the past year I just reroute via EWR and take the flat bed EWR-SFO. Or IAD/ORD-SFO if I can find a wide body.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992
Sorry, I am not going to take 737 on this route. Six + hour is too taxing to my aging body :-)

In the past year I just reroute via EWR and take the flat bed EWR-SFO. Or IAD/ORD-SFO if I can find a wide body.
I hate it as well for much the same reason. I have done the SFO-EWR-BOS (and back) thing but I always hate connecting when I can go direct.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I hate it as well for much the same reason. I have done the SFO-EWR-BOS (and back) thing but I always hate connecting when I can go direct.
Right.

At least for GS, I have never failed EWR-SFO upgrade.

When I get downgraded to 1K or less, I'll need to be more flexible. Carefully select the flights with flat bed to get upgraded.

Do we know when flat bed will return to BOS-SFO? It's such a tough upgrade for 737.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.