Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling with Frozen food

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2021, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by DELee
Or your carry-ons. Unless they smell - then they might be carrion.

David
yep those too
Old Aug 27, 2021, 8:43 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Dry ice is hazmat because it sublimates into carbon dioxide gas which displaces oxygen. In an enclosed environment, without adequate ventilation, it can cause illness, unconsciousness, and even death. To carry dry ice safely, the total amount onboard is limited based on the cabin size and ventilation characteristics of the airplane. Dry ice and live cargo must also be kept separated. This is why it is important for the airline to know about all of the dry ice that is onboard.

Back in the 1990s, I knew of an incident with a cargo DC8 that diverted due to weather. The crew waited out the delay in the airplane but forgot about the dry ice they were carrying and didn't maintain adequate ventilation. The three crewmember ended up in the hospital suffering from CO2 poisoning.

Please don't bring undeclared dry ice onboard an airliner.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ
In an enclosed environment, without adequate ventilation, it can cause illness, unconsciousness, and even death.
But "cabin air is fully replaced every two minutes."
Old Aug 28, 2021, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mxracer95
Not on the ground, with the engine and climate control systems off.

I'm a little surprised to see that this is a potential issue, though, as you can buy ice cream, packed with dry ice, at the airport in Austin. I don't recall hearing or seeing anything about "please declare it to the airline," and I doubt they'd bother offering it if airlines were going to charge $200 to let somebody board. (You can also buy a to-go brisket, but I can't imagine that needs dry ice.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
If I were traveling with frozen pizza, I'd probably just stack them on top of eachother, surround it with ice packs and styrofoam and put in in a box to check. ORD-DEN isnt that far and even if the pizza melted, it's not that big of a deal. I'm picturing large pizzas, if they are like those small personal size pizzas, maybe you can get away with it in your carry-on but after adding the ice, there's not much room for anything else. If you do check, obviously, its better to do it in the winter.

I travel with frozen foods quite often. (ie. once a month or so).

When it is a frozen liquid (broth/soup) I pack it in a box the same way frozen food is shipped. Styrofoam with ice packs. I check these.

Otherwise when its meats, meat buns, stews, etc, I just use "blue" ice packs. I usually just put it in my carry-on. I had one occasion where I checked the bag and UA screwed up and it delayed 24hrs.
I'd allow an extra 5-10min going thru security as they often want to take a quick peek to make sure its actually ice packs and they are solid.

My longest travel time (with connections) is about 12hrs. If I do check my bag and its a longer flight, I usually try not to do it in the summer.
It is also important to make sure your food is completely frozen and judge by the shape of the food. If its frozen in a large block, it is harder to melt than something really thin (more surface area).

Last edited by eng3; Aug 28, 2021 at 8:12 am
Old Aug 28, 2021, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by mxracer95
Dry ice is allowed, but the quantity is limited so as the total onboard does not exceeds the aircraft's ability to manage the CO2. The problem comes when the dry ice is undeclared and not accounted for in the total of the dry ice onboard.

From https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...e/fragile.html

Dry ice

We’ll accept packages containing 5.5 pounds (2.5 kilograms) or less of dry ice as a carry-on bag or checked bag. Please make sure the container or package has proper ventilation to allow the release of carbon dioxide gas. You must also mark the container or package as containing dry ice, show its net weight and identify the perishable item inside. We won’t accept Styrofoam coolers containing dry ice.

For travel within the U.S. and between the U.S. and Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, we’ll charge $150 each way for each item. For all other travel, we’ll charge $200.

We won’t accept dry ice weighing more than 5.5 pounds (2.5 kilograms).

Multiple customers can’t pool their portions together, even if they’re traveling together.

SPN Lifer and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
If they're frozen when they go through it will be fine but you're probably right about the pizzas being fine by themselves. Especially if they are the pies I'm thinking of (Lou Malnati's).
FYI for anyone who may want to transport them, Lou Malnati’s par-baked pizzas survive the drive from Chicago to St. Louis (roughly 5 hours) with no problem just sitting on the back seat of a car with no ice or insulation or anything. I’m sure they’d survive a flight of a similar duration - if you can get them through TSA and safely stowed in an overhead bin or something.

At least, uh, that’s what I’ve heard from a friend….I totally didn’t drive from STL up to Chicago out of pure boredom at the beginning of the pandemic just to get a Lou Malnati’s pizza and bring it back.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Thanks everyone for the insights.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
I've traveled with sealed ice packs to transport medications and TSA has never given me a problem. I have never identified this to United and have taken packs all the way to Guam from LAX.
On another note, at the duty free shops in NRT, they will sell you small ice packs to keep your Royce chocolates cold and United has never cared about that either.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Not quite on the need to be frozen aspect, but I have checked refrigerated perishables cross country and have packed them with the reusable gel ice packs. I haven't gotten a note so far and I don't think it will be an issue.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Funny thing is that I’m looking to bring back some ‘tavern style’ thin crust that I grew up on. Not quite STL Imo’s thin with the funky provel cheese, but not the Chicago deep dish. There are viable deep dish pizzas in Denver, but not the tavern with the right sausage. There is what you grew up with and everything else.
Chicago tavern style pizza is highly underrated. Having spent six wonderful years in the STL, St. Louis-style pizza is an abomination.

As for deep dish in Denver, I really like Paxti's. Do you have any other recommendations?

To stay on topic: we travel with frozen ice packs all the time in our carry-ons. Never an issue as long as they are frozen when you go through security.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by am1108
Not quite on the need to be frozen aspect, but I have checked refrigerated perishables cross country and have packed them with the reusable gel ice packs. I haven't gotten a note so far and I don't think it will be an issue.
Liquids in checked baggage is not an issue. Dry ice, of courses, would still have to follow the dry ice hazmat procedures.

Liquids in carry-on baggage is controlled by the TSA. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...ring/items/ice

Frozen liquid items are allowed through the checkpoint as long as they are frozen solid when presented for screening. If frozen liquid items are partially melted, slushy, or have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they must meet 3-1-1 liquids requirements.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
About once a year I carry on frozen food in a small cooler with packed with frozen solid icepacks. TSA doesn't care, United has never once asked what's in the cooler, and my food has always safely made it to it's destination. Dry ice seems really unnecessary in this situation. Due to the shape of a pizza, I might suggest one of those freezer tote bags instead of a cooler.
DELee and thejaredhuang like this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Looking to bring some frozen

Thoughts or suggestions?
was this you?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CS7FGKlnAMp/
PushingTin likes this.

Last edited by porciuscato; Aug 30, 2021 at 2:21 pm
Old Aug 30, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by claire16
About once a year I carry on frozen food in a small cooler with packed with frozen solid icepacks. TSA doesn't care, United has never once asked what's in the cooler, and my food has always safely made it to it's destination. Dry ice seems really unnecessary in this situation. Due to the shape of a pizza, I might suggest one of those freezer tote bags instead of a cooler.
I had a few Walleye frozen in a block of ice in a small cooler and it was denied coming out of CLE. I must admit I was surprised and didn't know dry ice was accepted as noted in post above. I ended up giving them the entire cooler and fish and told them not to throw it but to eat them as they were unreal. I doubt they did but I keep telling myself they enjoyed them, it makes me feel better about the whole debacle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.