Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling with Frozen food

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2021, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Question Travelling with Frozen food

Looking to bring some frozen pizzas on a flight. I see that you can up to 5lbs/2.2kgs(?) of dry ice, but that there is a service charge of like $200. I can see this for checked bags, but if you have it in a carry on bag, how would they know? I’ll be travelling in first on a 772, so room shouldn’t be an issue. I should be able to get overhead storage. Maybe I’ll just get some ‘blue-ice packs’. Just going ORD-DEN, so it should be fairly short and actually get there.

I saw the dry ice charge, but I can’t find it now. United’s website is all over the place on this. I didn’t see anything here on food for about 8 years.

Thoughts or suggestions?
Old Aug 27, 2021, 2:17 pm

Programs: Free agent
You can bring a cooler with ice packs. Just make sure they are completely frozen when going through security.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 2:20 pm

Dry ice is a hazardous material and that's why there is a limit and a charge. For ORD-DEN, I think frozen pizzas by themselves should be fine. No need for extra cooling. TSA may not let the blue-ice packs through since the packs will become liquid or gel.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by B747SP
Dry ice is a hazardous material and that's why there is a limit and a charge. For ORD-DEN, I think frozen pizzas by themselves should be fine. No need for extra cooling. TSA may not let the blue-ice packs through since the packs will become liquid or gel.
If they're frozen when they go through it will be fine but you're probably right about the pizzas being fine by themselves. Especially if they are the pies I'm thinking of (Lou Malnati's).
Old Aug 27, 2021, 2:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PushingTin
I saw the dry ice charge, but I can’t find it now. United’s website is all over the place on this. I didn’t see anything here on food for about 8 years. ....
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...e/fragile.html
Regular ice or blue is not allowed for carryons, only dry ice
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA
I've transported frozen foods several times. Stashed it in a styrofoam box along with several reusable gel packs.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: HHonors:Gold,Marriot:Silver,United:Gold, Delta:Gold
You may want to consider https://www.loumalnatis.com/ship-lous if you're looking to bring Lous to denver. That may be cheaper than your 200$ charge for ice.
wrp96 and PushingTin like this.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Your link gives me:

Blue ice

We’ll accept packages containing blue ice according to our general guidelines for bags.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 2:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Your link gives me:

Blue ice

We’ll accept packages containing blue ice according to our general guidelines for bags.
And the last link goes to a page on only Checked Bags

The issue may be dripping condensating water
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by monksy
You may want to consider https://www.loumalnatis.com/ship-lous if you're looking to bring Lous to denver. That may be cheaper than your 200$ charge for ice.
Funny thing is that I’m looking to bring back some ‘tavern style’ thin crust that I grew up on. Not quite STL Imo’s thin with the funky provel cheese, but not the Chicago deep dish. There are viable deep dish pizzas in Denver, but not the tavern with the right sausage. There is what you grew up with and everything else.

I actually started to make my own sausage for pizza since nothing was getting right, got fairly close, but not right.

TSA allows gel packs, could have sworn United did too? That’s what I mean about their food packing stuff, it is all over the place and sometimes it’s hard to figure out what they are referencing. I think I’m going to get a stack of 10 inch pizzas and make a liner for a roll on out of the silver bubble wrap (double layer).
Old Aug 27, 2021, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Does Goldbelly not offer delivery of this particular item?
gligor1 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Dry ice in checked bags is prohibited. Solid ice blocks in carry on is fine as long as it is water tight. Unless you ask for it UA won’t be inspecting your carry ones.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Unless you ask for it UA won’t be inspecting your carry ones.
Or your carry-ons. Unless they smell - then they might be carrion.

David
Old Aug 27, 2021, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sannmann
Does Goldbelly not offer delivery of this particular item?
Not for that particular place. I’ve tried it, and use it for Imo’s pizza- but with shipping packages goofy, I’ve had food arrive a day late and a little on the warm side.

The expensive part is the overnight shipping, or the unreliable and long ground shipping. I’m willing to be the ‘mule’.

Originally Posted by DELee
Or your carry-ons. Unless they smell - then they might be carrion.

David
I see what you did there…
Old Aug 27, 2021, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Not for that particular place. I’ve tried it, and use it for Imo’s pizza- but with shipping packages goofy, I’ve had food arrive a day late and a little on the warm side.
Yah - multiple posts in the DiningBuzz GoldBelly thread (Your favorite Goldbelly finds) detail issues in getting pizzas shipped around.

The expensive part is the overnight shipping, or the unreliable and long ground shipping. I’m willing to be the ‘mule’.
"Yah, mule!"

I see what you did there…

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.