FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   3rd promotion of year is chance to requalify for Premier status, reach higher level (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2048948-3rd-promotion-year-chance-requalify-premier-status-reach-higher-level.html)

kevflyer Sep 6, 2021 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by rbakker (Post 33547924)
Thanks! I tried entering different fare classes but it's the same result. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong. Is this still valid as a list of fare classes: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...are-class.html

Going Economy one way and Business back is a great idea, I'll try that.

I was not aware that there was a ban on non-US residents transiting via the US, I'll have to look into that.

Thank you for all the great information everyone.
Edit: I am not a US citizen or resident or married to one
Edit2: If United said to me "Just give us $2600 for the PQPs and we'll apply it as credit when you can travel" then I'd certainly take that option.

PQM is no longer being used. But that table is good for telling you which fare class is the next higher up. You can use ITA to force more expensive fare classes to do research on base fare prices to hit that 2,600 PQP you need. If you can't book the higher fare class on UA directly, you can still book the ticket in the lower fare class, then call UA to up fare to the higher class.

WineCountryUA Sep 6, 2021 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by rbakker (Post 33547924)
Thanks! I tried entering different fare classes but it's the same result. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong. Is this still valid as a list of fare classes: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...are-class.html .

If there is a non-UA flight the online system may fail, but an agent can still do. However, you seem to have selected a flight with multiple partner flights. The partner flights do not qualify for the Fly to the Finish, only the UA-operated flights. An AC flight out of YEG is probably a given but UA does not service KRK, so the qualifying PQPs need to be carefully determined

Originally Posted by kevflyer (Post 33547952)
...If you can't book the higher fare class on UA directly, you can still book the ticket in the lower fare class, then call UA to up fare to the higher class.

Maybe -- fare combinability needs to be met and with the partner flights, this may be far from simple
Time with an agent and a few opening parameters and then some what about this or what about that

rbakker Sep 6, 2021 4:47 pm

"so the qualifying PQPs need to be carefully determined"
Yes indeed, I am being careful about that. I tried mixing Business out with Economy back and that does the trick (I'm only counting UA and United Express).

But I will still have to wait for the US to change their entry requirements for foreigners otherwise it's impossible.

kevflyer Sep 6, 2021 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 33547959)
Maybe -- fare combinability needs to be met and with the partner flights, this may be far from simple
Time with an agent and a few opening parameters and then some what about this or what about that

Ah yes good point. I didn't realize OP would need to take partner flights to KRK.

Repooc17 Sep 6, 2021 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by rbakker (Post 33547968)
But I will still have to wait for the US to change their entry requirements for foreigners otherwise it's impossible.

You can get around this by staying 14 days at another country not on the list after your EU trip. Only you yourself can determine whether that's worth it in order to earn status.

Montreal Sep 6, 2021 10:40 pm

$400 Corporate starter bonus

So either the agents are poorly trained or everyone has conflicting information about the details of these latest UA promos.

I just talked to a 1K agent on phone and he indicated that the "$400 coporate headstart" is only if you are requalifying for 1K under usual parameters, not as part of the FTF promotion. Hence, one must earn $3,000 PQP on UA operated flights or 10 segments + $2,700 PQP.

This did not make any sense based on what I have read on this thread as well as carefully reading the T&C of this promotion many times. Can UAInsider provide the final verdict?

WineCountryUA Sep 6, 2021 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Montreal (Post 33548481)
So either the agents are poorly trained ....

Doubt they got very much training, maybe at best, a short briefing

Agents have always been a poor source of information on promos.

Originally Posted by Montreal (Post 33548481)
This did not make any sense based on what I have read on this thread as well as carefully reading the T&C of this promotion many times. Can UAInsider provide the final verdict?

The T&Cs could not be cleared

• Eligible members who are also “Corporate Members” will automatically receive the following PQP deposits at the start of the Promotion Period, and no later than August 10, 2021, which will count toward satisfying the offer requirements:
Status held on July 27, 2021
PQP Deposit
Silver 100
Gold 200
Platinum 300
1K 400
  • A “Corporate member” is defined as a member who has flown while using a corporate account tour code on United or United Express between January 1, 2019 and July 26, 2021.

CIT85 Sep 7, 2021 10:59 am

I've given this a lot of thought since the promo was announced. Initially I was going to use FttF to requalify for 1K. But, there is no possibility that I will qualify for 1K in 2022 for 2023, so I have to find a point to step off this merry-go-round. Since Asia is not likely to open anytime soon so benefits of 1K Plus Points may be limited, I may as well stop now and not invest more money than I would normally spend on travels. Even my trip to Portugal after Thanksgiving is in jeopardy if conditions don't improve, especially since I don't care to have to get PCR test for Portugal and rapid antigen test to return, and worry about transiting Brussels.

mpiotrow Sep 7, 2021 4:22 pm

According to the BoB Ts&Cs above:

• A Trip does not need to be completed prior to the end of the Promotion Period to qualify, but a United or United Express flight segment must be completed within the Promotion Period for the Trip to be eligible.

I assume, therefore, that if I were to start a TATL trip (all UA flights) on Nov 30, that it would count as a 'trip' for the BoB, right? The itinerary will include at least one domestic segment on Nov 30, and it will be completed that day, but the TATL flight will not be completed until Dec 1 (due to difference in time). I'm assuming, though, that the domestic segment will be sufficient. Am I reading that right? Is there any other section of the Ts&Cs that I'm missing that means it won't qualify as a BoB trip?

Here's my whole situation...
  • As of July 27, I was about 4800PQP from requalifying for Platinum.
  • I booked a flight not long after that for a TATL F trip that gave me about 2500PQP on the outbound on Aug 14. I happened to login to my UA account a few days after that, and saw that it then showed that I was Platinum again (because of the FttF bonus, seeing as I'd spent more than 2000PQP during the promotion period).
  • I then flew home (the return leg of the same trip) on Aug 28, which earned another 2500PQP. So, at this point, I had reached the Platinum 10K PQP requirement, and therefore requalified 'naturally'.
  • I would think that because I requalified naturally, I should be automatically switched over to the BoB side of the promotion, correct? So, my trip in August should count as 1 trip toward the BoB bonus (meaning I should get the 1st trip bonus of 1000 PQP for that trip).
  • I am planning to use award miles to fly somewhere for trip 2 (meaning I should get the 2nd trip bonus of 250 PQP for that trip).
  • I will then be flying again in the trip I mentioned above, and that first domestic segment on Nov 30 will count toward trip 3 (meaning I should get the 3rd trip bonus of 250 PQP for that trip).
Does that all sound correct? I've got a spreadsheet made so I can track my PQP, but it's just frustrating that UA hasn't updated anything in my account for the BoB, so I just want to make sure I'm on the right track!

WasKnown Sep 8, 2021 9:08 am

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c055c73e7.jpeg
My mom got this. I’m guessing it’s because she has largely transitioned her flying away from United to Delta. She used to earn 1K every year. This year she’s spent only around $5K on United total across 2 flights. She will probably requalify to Platinum with all of these promos.

SuperFlyBoy Sep 8, 2021 9:20 am

Originally Posted by WasKnown (Post 33552141)
My mom got this. I’m guessing it’s because she has largely transitioned her flying away from United to Delta. She used to earn 1K every year. This year she’s spent only around $5K on United total across 2 flights. She will probably requalify to Platinum with all of these promos.

Did she receive an e-mail intimating her of this - or just saw that in the statement?

WasKnown Sep 8, 2021 9:29 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy (Post 33552187)
Did she receive an e-mail intimating her of this - or just saw that in the statement?

I was just checking her PlusPoint activity and saw this. She told me she blocked United from emailing her (lol) so I’m not sure.

SuperFlyBoy Sep 8, 2021 9:42 am

Originally Posted by WasKnown (Post 33552220)
I was just checking her PlusPoint activity and saw this. She told me she blocked United from emailing her (lol) so I’m not sure.

Upon checking my statement - I got the same thing too! :eek:

Originally Posted by WasKnown (Post 33552141)

kevflyer Sep 8, 2021 11:44 am

Interesting, I just noticed I got that surprise and delight PQP deposit as well. However it's not useful at all given FTTF promo

FlyingHighlander Sep 8, 2021 1:11 pm

Surprise and Delight has been used by UA in other contexts for several years

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/u...e-program.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-access-7.html