FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA's New EWR Terminal A: Security, How to get to, facilities, UC opened 28 June 2023 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2040845-uas-new-ewr-terminal-security-how-get-facilities-uc-opened-28-june-2023-a.html)

EWR764 Dec 5, 2022 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 34618777)
I noted this in another thread, but as of now November 1 is the unofficial "target" date, but that is in serious doubt. Lots of operational tests are scheduled for October, so I guess it isn't entirely out of the question, but these things tend to slip. Munich (developer) and the Port do not want to open the building between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so smart money is on early 2023 at this point.

To close the loop on this, 2023 indeed...

Opening of Newark airport’s new Terminal A delayed until January

RobOnLI Dec 6, 2022 7:02 am

Da*n it. I'm flying through EWR on the 8th and the 9th and was really hoping to see the new Terminal A. So sick of the current one. I am flying EWR/DCA both days so will arrive/depart Term A on both of them.

-RM

dmurphynj Dec 6, 2022 7:49 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 34811055)
Da*n it. I'm flying through EWR on the 8th and the 9th and was really hoping to see the new Terminal A. So sick of the current one. I am flying EWR/DCA both days so will arrive/depart Term A on both of them.

I've said my final goodbye to Terminal A three times now, mid-November being the latest. Hopefully I meant it this time!!

goodeats21 Dec 6, 2022 8:55 am

Having arrived at the stupid Gate 71(X, Y, Z...) bus gates yesterday, I would have GREATLY preferred Terminal A.

Will wait to see how user-friendly the New Terminal A actually is, but I have been happy with the current one for awhile now. With a United Club membership, it is a pretty good experience. Close to rental car station and a 1 minute walk to any of the gates from a quiet, peaceful club. TSA was even better for a while, which was the one downside.

Repooc17 Dec 6, 2022 9:07 am

I don't mind the current Terminal A...it's a bit run down, but it's super easy and straightforward. Some of the new options on the area, LGA, for example, while much nicer from a design aspect, the amount of walking distances is also significant. Take it from someone who can walk really fast.

As someone who usually arrives at the airport during boarding time, I'll take the current Terminal A.

dmurphynj Dec 6, 2022 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 34811355)
I don't mind the current Terminal A...it's a bit run down, but it's super easy and straightforward. Some of the new options on the area, LGA, for example, while much nicer from a design aspect, the amount of walking distances is also significant. Take it from someone who can walk really fast.

As someone who usually arrives at the airport during boarding time, I'll take the current Terminal A.

The security lanes are - by far - my biggest problem there. Part time precheck lite, no CLEAR, and those ridiculous lanes. It's not TSA's (or even PANYNJ's or UA's) fault -- the terminal just wasn't designed for modern day security.

hindle Dec 6, 2022 10:17 am

Originally Posted by dmurphynj (Post 34811365)
The security lanes are - by far - my biggest problem there. Part time precheck lite, no CLEAR, and those ridiculous lanes. It's not TSA's (or even PANYNJ's or UA's) fault -- the terminal just wasn't designed for modern day security.

Agreed... I miss the days as a kid walking down those halls and climbing over the railing to press my face against the glass to watch the planes.

8MiHi Dec 7, 2022 10:27 am

The inspectors haven't signed off on it!
Clearly no job is finished until the paperwork is done.

DFWFairy Dec 20, 2022 8:49 am

With the opening of the new terminal, will there be a new UC? If so, anyone knows when it will open?

RobOnLI Dec 20, 2022 9:45 am

Originally Posted by DFWFairy (Post 34849892)
With the opening of the new terminal, will there be a new UC? If so, anyone knows when it will open?

Discussed at length in this thread. Yes, there will be a new UA club. No, it will not be open when Terminal A opens. It's expected mid-2023.

-RM
Edit: removed note about AC building a lounge. I misread something in the past I guess.

EWR764 Dec 20, 2022 9:58 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 34850061)
Discussed at length in this thread. Yes, there will be a new UA club. No, it will not be open when Terminal A opens. It's expected mid-2023. AC is also building a new club so *G who don't have UA Club access will be able to access a lounge as well in the new Terminal A.

-RM

UA took over the AC lease to build a larger United Club, so there will be no MLL at EWR when the new Terminal A opens. The planning/approvals for a larger UC than was initially envisioned is one reason the terminal will open before the lounge does.

Surprisingly, at this point, I prefer the “new” United Club standard to MLLs, so I view this to be a net positive for *A travelers at EWR.

threecap Dec 20, 2022 9:58 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 34850061)
Discussed at length in this thread. Yes, there will be a new UA club. No, it will not be open when Terminal A opens. It's expected mid-2023. AC is also building a new club so *G who don't have UA Club access will be able to access a lounge as well in the new Terminal A.

-RM

Only when travelling internationally, I believe. That rule (as I understand it) is probably implied, but just adding that... (Edit: incorrect per below, sorry! Been missing out, it appears....)

angetenar Dec 20, 2022 10:00 am

Originally Posted by threecap (Post 34850116)
Only when travelling internationally, I believe. That rule (as I understand it) is probably implied, but just adding that...

Nope, UA *G get access to *G lounges, even on domestic travel. The only carve out is no UA lounges for UA *G on domestic travel.

DELee Dec 20, 2022 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 34850115)
Surprisingly, at this point, I prefer the “new” United Club standard to MLLs, so I view this to be a net positive for *A travelers at EWR.

But no free Guinness. Not net positive.

David

dmurphynj Dec 20, 2022 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by angetenar (Post 34850122)
Nope, UA *G get access to *G lounges, even on domestic travel. The only carve out is no UA lounges for UA *G on domestic travel.

Indeed, no issue on domestic itins. In old LGA, I used to enjoy bouncing into the MLL ... which was formerly the CO Presidents Club ... which was formerly the EA Ionosphere Club. Which was probably Fiorello La Guardia's personal apartment before that!