FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA's New EWR Terminal A: Security, How to get to, facilities, UC opened 28 June 2023 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2040845-uas-new-ewr-terminal-security-how-get-facilities-uc-opened-28-june-2023-a.html)

dmurphynj Sep 27, 2021 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 33599887)
Other buildings in the PANYNJ portfolio with arguably greater architectural or historical gravitas (Sundrome, Worldport, AA stained glass wall, LGA hangars) have been unceremoniously torn down in the modern era, so I am not particularly optimistic that the current Terminal A will be afforded any special status.

I know several people that led the Save the Worldport campaign, and as far as I can tell, there's absolutely no love lost for Terminal A. Not even in the same stratosphere.

I understood and support the saving of Building 1 (which is an Art Deco *masterpiece*!) but Terminal A? That thing can't leave soon enough.

Repooc17 Sep 27, 2021 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 33600966)
I've read that the existing A "headhouse" was to be designated or already was designated as a historical building. And B and C are each quite different from the original design now... I guess we'll see what happens when the existing monorail is replaced. Oh - and get ready to walk. The replacement will be inc:onvenient and quite the PANYNJ boondoggle. I guess it's fitting, then.

Comments from an article on the replacement:

Here is a map of the proposed replacement:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6786d73c5c.png

From a people mover standpoint, this is chaos. The walk to Terminal B, holy cow, and I thought the walk from AirTrain JFK to Terminal 5 is long. The current compactness and quick entry/exit from EWR terminals to/from AirTrain to/from rail station is a positive standpoint. Spending untold amount of $ to make things worse - amazing.

DELee Sep 27, 2021 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 33600966)
I've read that the existing A "headhouse" was to be designated or already was designated as a historical building. And B and C are each quite different from the original design now... I guess we'll see what happens when the existing monorail is replaced. Oh - and get ready to walk. The replacement will be inc:onvenient and quite the PANYNJ boondoggle. I guess it's fitting, then.

Comments from an article on the replacement:

Here is a map of the proposed replacement:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6786d73c5c.png

Why does this remind me of IAD's AeroTrain?

David

EWR764 Sep 27, 2021 6:56 pm

Did some quick research... can't find any documentation to support the notion that Terminal A is on any sort of historical register. The old PA Administration Building, Marine Air Terminal and TWA Flight Center are the only terminal buildings at the PANYNJ airports designated as such.

There's really no unusual architectural or historical signifance of the Terminal A headhouse that would make it worthy of preservation. Too big, too expensive and not important enough to do so, IMO.

WasKnown Sep 27, 2021 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 33601079)
Spending untold amount of $ to make things worse - amazing.

Welcome to New Jersey

PsiFighter37 Sep 27, 2021 8:58 pm

Even with a United Club membership, A2 was a dump. The new terminal can't be any worse. That said, if they are planning to redevelop the entire airport, one terminal at a time, I sure hope they build a mass transit option that makes sense. The current AirTrain is dinky, is way too slow, but it gets the job done. If they build a replacement merely accounting for the new Terminal A, that is really asinine...unless they anticipate it will take decades to get other parts of the airport done. Not unlikely given the bureaucracy managing it!

Xyzzy Sep 28, 2021 1:11 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 33601553)
Even with a United Club membership, A2 was a dump. The new terminal can't be any worse. That said, if they are planning to redevelop the entire airport, one terminal at a time, I sure hope they build a mass transit option that makes sense. The current AirTrain is dinky, is way too slow, but it gets the job done. If they build a replacement merely accounting for the new Terminal A, that is really asinine...unless they anticipate it will take decades to get other parts of the airport done. Not unlikely given the bureaucracy managing it!

The long term plan IIRC is at least to replace B in 10 or 15 years. Have a look at the map I posted - the blue bit is where the B replacement g:eek:es. I think that to build the new train the way it is proposed is completely stupid. A 2,200 foot walk / moving walkway leads one to ask, "What are they thinking?"

WasKnown Sep 28, 2021 6:20 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 33601553)
The current AirTrain is dinky, is way too slow, but it gets the job done. If they build a replacement merely accounting for the new Terminal A, that is really asinine...unless they anticipate it will take decades to get other parts of the airport done. Not unlikely given the bureaucracy managing it!

Welcome to New Jersey

lincolnjkc Sep 28, 2021 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 33601886)
I think that to build the new train the way it is proposed is completely stupid. A 2,200 foot walk / moving walkway leads one to ask, "What are they thinking?"

"We like what IAD did with theirs!"

Xyzzy Sep 28, 2021 6:33 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc (Post 33602264)

...but our inconvenient walkway to the train will be even longer. We're number :rolleyes:ne!

JimInOhio Sep 28, 2021 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 33601886)
The long term plan IIRC is at least to replace B in 10 or 15 years. Have a look at the map I posted - the blue bit is where the B replacement g:eek:es. I think that to build the new train the way it is proposed is completely stupid. A 2,200 foot walk / moving walkway leads one to ask, "What are they thinking?"

Here's a guess: The PA plans to tear down Terminal B and build a new one centered between the current (old) A and B. The proposed rail station 2 would become the stop for this new Terminal B and be nominally the same distance as between C and it's stop, a shorter walk than from the current B. Of course if the timeline resembles the temporary IAD C and D concourses, it won't be much of a plan.

EWR764 Sep 28, 2021 7:59 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio (Post 33602400)
Here's a guess: The PA plans to tear down Terminal B and build a new one centered between the current (old) A and B. The proposed rail station 2 would become the stop for this new Terminal B and be nominally the same distance as between C and it's stop, a shorter walk than from the current B. Of course if the timeline resembles the temporary IAD C and D concourses, it won't be much of a plan.

Thats exactly the plan, and I suspect a B replacement will come about a bit sooner than the 10-15 year timeframe. I expect planning to be pretty far along by the middle of the decade, with construction likely underway by 2027-28. Once new A opens, the emphasis goes to the AirTrain replacement, and after that, it will be the B replacement.

Joking aside, the PANYNJ is a bit different now than it was 30-40 years ago, and even as compared to the aughts and 2010s, when the entire agency’s focus was on the WTC redevelopment. The major airport projects of recent years (LGA, EWR A) have gone off - thus far - according to plan, mostly on time, and without significant cost overrun. IMO, a sign of organizational progress.

DELee Sep 28, 2021 8:04 am

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 33601119)
Why does this remind me of IAD's AeroTrain?

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc (Post 33602264)

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 33602269)
...but our inconvenient walkway to the train will be even longer. We're number :rolleyes:ne!

"...and excel at still being Number Two..."

David

Xyzzy Apr 6, 2022 9:44 am

As I was departing EWR on April 2, I noted that the A-1 banjo was being demolished. I was told that demolition started the day bef:ore. I guess the new terminal A will be opening in the next few months...

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1ef09c7679.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0881afdfaf.jpg

threecap May 17, 2022 8:00 am

Judging by the earthcams alone, I just can't imagine that they are going to meet the stated opening of "Spring 2022" in the next 33 days, and for that matter it seems like Summer is a longshot. Hope I'm wrong https://www.ewrredevelopment.com/earthcam/