FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA's New EWR Terminal A: Security, How to get to, facilities, UC opened 28 June 2023 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2040845-uas-new-ewr-terminal-security-how-get-facilities-uc-opened-28-june-2023-a.html)

8MiHi Nov 15, 2022 2:05 pm

New Terminal A to open to passengers on December 8. No word on Lounges and other amenities.

PsiFighter37 Nov 15, 2022 5:08 pm

Makes me wonder if/when the Port Authority decides to redo Terminal C. Having a dedicated terminal for UA done in this fashion would be amazing.

ty97 Nov 15, 2022 5:19 pm

Reportedly no lounge until next year.

8MiHi Nov 15, 2022 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 34760605)
It’s under construction and won’t be ready when the terminal opens. Maybe by spring 2023.

HMM that's interesting. When I chatted with the Terminal A UC staff a few weeks ago they had just gone on a tour of the new space and were told to be ready to move in.
They thought the November 1 target date was a bit ambitious but thought the space was pretty much ready. I wonder if the hold-up is something like the escalators or some such.

jp12687 Nov 16, 2022 4:23 am

If only they would do a major upgrade to terminal C.

EWR764 Nov 16, 2022 5:32 am

Originally Posted by 8MiHi (Post 34761303)
HMM that's interesting. When I chatted with the Terminal A UC staff a few weeks ago they had just gone on a tour of the new space and were told to be ready to move in.
They thought the November 1 target date was a bit ambitious but thought the space was pretty much ready. I wonder if the hold-up is something like the escalators or some such.

The terminal itself is almost ready; the United Club definitively is not.

8MiHi Nov 16, 2022 7:54 am

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 34762253)
The terminal itself is almost ready; the United Club definitively is not.

It will open when it opens, then.

Xyzzy Nov 16, 2022 8:20 am

I presume the existing EWR-A will cl:(se on December 7th as it will be super confusing to have two "A" terminals -- and since there will be 21 gates at the time of opening the new one will have enough capacity.

EWR764 Nov 16, 2022 8:35 am

Originally Posted by 8MiHi (Post 34762529)
It will open when it opens, then.

I think Spring 2023 is a good bet, May timeframe? Could slip to the summer but I know United wants to get this done as soon as possible. Two major United Club projects are underway at EWR as we speak... in the span of about a year (May 2022 to May 2023, plus or minus) it will go from the worst hub lounge situation to arguably the best, with more than twice the floor space consisting of all new or renovated clubs, and a PL.

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 34762598)
I presume the existing EWR-A will cl:(se on December 7th as it will be super confusing to have two "A" terminals -- and since there will be 21 gates at the time of opening the new one will have enough capacity.

Yes, that seems to be the plan, which will allow A-2 and A-3 to be demolished. Once those are out of the way and sufficient taxiway space and aircraft parking areas are ready, Delta will make its move.

dmurphynj Nov 16, 2022 9:39 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 34761194)
Makes me wonder if/when the Port Authority decides to redo Terminal C. Having a dedicated terminal for UA done in this fashion would be amazing.

Originally Posted by jp12687 (Post 34762166)
If only they would do a major upgrade to terminal C.

In all seriousness, what, in your opinion, do you feel makes Terminal C need a full on renovation? I’d say B needs work (and is being planned) long long before C.

C has decent checkin and Security queuing room, plenty of food outlets and shops, the best UC in the system and plenty of seating.

I can think of many other terminals in many other airports that can use an update long before EWR C. Tons of other things (AirTrain, anyone??) just at EWR that need major work, but I’m genuinely surprised to see C on anyone’s list.

…. It’s not on United’s radar, as far as I know, for any major work. Should also be noted that United is wholly responsible for C - the PANYNJ runs terminals A and B, but C is a United operation wholly.

1200GS Nov 16, 2022 9:49 am

C is tired, IMO. But probably doesn't need a full gut. Baggage claim could use a ground up redo, though.

dmurphynj Nov 16, 2022 10:39 am

Originally Posted by 1200GS (Post 34762875)
C is tired, IMO. But probably doesn't need a full gut. Baggage claim could use a ground up redo, though.

A little paint and some new signage and I think C would look pretty good, actually. Would like to see them adopt some of the newer fonts for the signs and things; that’d go a long way, as silly a thing as it sounds.

Can’t disagree on baggage, although I’m not sure how they could dress it up without natural lighting.

Repooc17 Nov 16, 2022 11:27 am

What is the AirTrain situation? I thought I had read the tracks would have to extend to reach the new terminal, which won't be for a while. Might as well gut the whole thing and start over.

Xyzzy Nov 16, 2022 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 34763167)
What is the AirTrain situation? I thought I had read the tracks would have to extend to reach the new terminal, which won't be for a while. Might as well gut the whole thing and start over.

The airtrain goes pretty close to the new terminal. The P1 station was where the new parking garage is and the P2 station is currently unused but adjacent to that garage. My guess is they'll use P2 with a l😢ng walk. I don't expect any addition to the current airtrain as it's obsolete and overdue for replacement.

This article on the new terminal references the AirTrain this way:

Bids on a more than $2 billion replacement of the Newark AirTrain came in over budget, delaying the bid process for construction on that project, too, but the current monorail will service the new Terminal A in the meantime.

RobOnLI Nov 16, 2022 5:28 pm

The only major issue I have with Terminal C is the extremely narrow corridor between C1 and C2 where security empties into. It's a squeeze there without anyone coming through security. And then throw in everyone from security who has nowhere to put their shoes on, bags together, etc. and it's a disaster. I hate it. But otherwise Terminal C is doable.

It's already been reported that there won't be a monorail station for the new Terminal A. When they decide to actually build a new monorail system then it will connect to the new terminal. So for now expect a small walk or a shuttle ride for several years. I just hope the Terminal A-->C shuttle keeps going after the new terminal A opens since United will be running a lot more flights out of "A" including west coast flights.

-RM