FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA's New EWR Terminal A: Security, How to get to, facilities, UC opened 28 June 2023 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2040845-uas-new-ewr-terminal-security-how-get-facilities-uc-opened-28-june-2023-a.html)

tarheelnj Jan 11, 2023 6:43 am

Confirming that UAX flights tomorrow appear to be departing from C. Now seeing mainline redeyes scheduled to arrive at the new terminal (e.g., UA1853 SEA-EWR, arriving Thursday 7:44am at A17).

gold23 Jan 12, 2023 6:56 am

Son is arriving on a domestic flight this afternoon into A. Will report back.

tarheelnj Jan 12, 2023 7:12 am

Received this check-in text mesage:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ab35e9f9df.jpg

clubord Jan 12, 2023 8:08 am

Here now, terminal is decent. Very wide open with lots of large windows providing natural light.

First impressions….

Not overwhelmingly impressed with the seating situation. Traffic somewhat bottlenecks in front of the boarding lanes. Moving the location of the seats will help rectify this, that’s an easy fix. Right now, it’s just not real clear where people should be standing to be out of the way.

The automated ticket system is not working all that great, maybe 50% of pax have “please see agent” flag popping up. The gate agents are having to override or manually check people in from their kiosk so boarding is taking quite a bit longer than usual.

Easy bus transfer from C71 to Terminal A, maybe a four minute ride at most. The bus however needs to be fitted with more space to stow suitcases and less elevated seating to maximize the most people transiting between terminals.

Numerous food/coffee vendors and there’s NO ridiculous establishments built in the middle of the hallway like in Terminal C so traffic flows much better.

threecap Jan 12, 2023 8:10 am

Originally Posted by clubord (Post 34917742)
Numerous food/coffee vendors and there’s NO ridiculous establishments built in the middle of the hallway like in Terminal C so traffic flows much better.

Thanks for the report - are all/most of the stores/restaurants open?

Polytonic Jan 12, 2023 8:37 am

I passed through the new terminal this morning (arriving at the far end of the A pier getting off a redeye). Most vendors were still setting up, but do appear to be open.

Not much crowding, but busy overall. Plenty of seating, and the main corridors are unobstructed. I’d say the overall layout feels very similar to LAX T8 or SFO E gates.

The walk to air train was … long, to say the least. Length of the terminal, then down a set of escalators, then across baggage claim, then up a set of escalators, cross a sky bridge, hang a right, walk a quarter mile along the parking garage, then climb the stairs to the air train station (the entrance is unmarked and looked closed today …).

Then you ride the air train for every stop to the train station. It took me 75 minutes from landing to stepping on NJ Transit (it literally pulled up as I got there), so … factor that into any commuting plans folks.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b4bab00d4.jpeg

edit: to be fair on the timing, I did have to wait for a gate to open up, and I did go to the brand new bathroom. Someone who knows where they’re going can probably make the walk in about 30-35min, but it’s still not a great landside connection.

jonu Jan 12, 2023 9:09 am

I saw something on airliners.net that only A319/320s are using Terminal A right now. I wonder when there will be more clarity on which UA flights will fly out of Terminal A. I have a mainline flight to DTW tomorrow and had thought it would be Terminal A, but it's currently listed as flying out of C.

narvik Jan 12, 2023 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Polytonic (Post 34917814)
The walk to air train was … long, to say the least. Length of the terminal, then down a set of escalators, then across baggage claim, then up a set of escalators, cross a sky bridge, hang a right, walk a quarter mile along the parking garage, then climb the stairs to the air train station (the entrance is unmarked and looked closed today …).

Thanks for the report and pic.
Was that the old AirTrain P2?
And if yes, is every AirTrain now going past P3?

itripreport Jan 12, 2023 9:44 am

Originally Posted by jonu (Post 34917941)
I saw something on airliners.net that only A319/320s are using Terminal A right now. I wonder when there will be more clarity on which UA flights will fly out of Terminal A. I have a mainline flight to DTW tomorrow and had thought it would be Terminal A, but it's currently listed as flying out of C.

I saw a MIA MAX 8 leave from there earlier, I think there was a list somewhere in the 2022 thread about which flights will be flying out of there, mostly high P2P flights (think Florida)

Polytonic Jan 12, 2023 10:02 am

Originally Posted by jonu (Post 34917941)

I arrived on a MAX 8. I did not see any widebodies on my way out of the terminal though.

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 34918036)
Thanks for the report and pic.
Was that the old AirTrain P2?
And if yes, is every AirTrain now going past P3?

I'm a little fuzzy on the exact details as I'm pretty tired coming off the redeye, but I believe the Terminal A station is/was the old P1. It makes a stop at P2 which has signs on the platform indicating "station not in service" before continuing to P3 which is the new consolidated car rental garage, then B -> C -> P4 -> Amtrak/NJ Transit Train Station.

trk1 Jan 12, 2023 11:17 am

Is a United Club open in the new terminal? The web site says near Gate 2

nevansm Jan 12, 2023 11:25 am

Originally Posted by trk1 (Post 34918371)

That's referencing the old club in Terminal A, Terminal 1 club is not yet open.

RobOnLI Jan 12, 2023 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by trk1 (Post 34918371)

Asked and answered several times in this thread :) United Club will not open in the new Terminal A before the summer. Given this is run by PANYNJ it's anyone's guess if that's summer of this year or 2030.

-RM

ironmanjt Jan 12, 2023 1:26 pm

Supposed to be out of the new A tonight, but looks like DCA-EWR is getting slammed with our all too common 90-180 minute preemptive delays today so likely misconnect....and due to meetings can't get on something earlier out of DCA.....and I was so looking forward to the "reverse" C to A shuttle (normally DCA is the one that got relegated to A....now it's an A320 to MSP)

unitedbusiness Jan 12, 2023 5:11 pm

Here’s a snap of one of the United gates in the new A terminal !
Once the new Club opens later this year, it will be snazzy. not your father’s EWR anymore!
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f83af7b31.jpeg

Also, was thinking, this being New Jersey and an airport, this carpet is going to be looking disgusting in about a week or two!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f59da7084.jpeg