FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA's New EWR Terminal A: Security, How to get to, facilities, UC opened 28 June 2023 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2040845-uas-new-ewr-terminal-security-how-get-facilities-uc-opened-28-june-2023-a.html)

PsiFighter37 Nov 16, 2022 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 34764018)
The only major issue I have with Terminal C is the extremely narrow corridor between C1 and C2 where security empties into. It's a squeeze there without anyone coming through security. And then throw in everyone from security who has nowhere to put their shoes on, bags together, etc. and it's a disaster. I hate it. But otherwise Terminal C is doable.

It's already been reported that there won't be a monorail station for the new Terminal A. When they decide to actually build a new monorail system then it will connect to the new terminal. So for now expect a small walk or a shuttle ride for several years. I just hope the Terminal A-->C shuttle keeps going after the new terminal A opens since United will be running a lot more flights out of "A" including west coast flights.

-RM

Interesting to hear they will be running mainline flights out of the new terminal. I would think it would make sense to keep some sort of bifurcation (e.g. only UAX flights out of the new terminal).

Perhaps slightly off-topic but aside from the demolition of the old terminal A at some point - are there future plans to build a new Terminal B thereafter? It would be nice to have a better-quality international arrivals terminal (and one that could facilitate more arrivals) than the sad little B2 banjo spoke. Will also admit that it is kind of frustrating that LGA gets a full-on overhaul, while EWR gets treated like the ugly stepchild that it is (relative to LGA and JFK, which is getting a wholesale makeover as well) and seems to only have a plan in place to do Terminal A, as far as I can tell.

dmurphynj Nov 16, 2022 6:14 pm

The only major issue I have with Terminal C is the extremely narrow corridor between C1 and C2 where security empties into. It's a squeeze there without anyone coming through security. And then throw in everyone from security who has nowhere to put their shoes on, bags together, etc. and it's a disaster. I hate it. But otherwise Terminal C is doable.

It's already been reported that there won't be a monorail station for the new Terminal A. When they decide to actually build a new monorail system then it will connect to the new terminal. So for now expect a small walk or a shuttle ride for several years. I just hope the Terminal A-->C shuttle keeps going after the new terminal A opens since United will be running a lot more flights out of "A" including west coast flights.

-RM

I understand that the shuttle will absolutely run - there's signage up for it already in the New A photos. I wouldn't be even slightly concerned about that. I also understand that New A gates will be all mainline -- so it won't be a UAX area like now. That's consolidating into the C130-area gates. So the shuttle will be as critical as ever to get between terminals.

EWR764 Nov 16, 2022 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by dmurphynj (Post 34764098)
I understand that the shuttle will absolutely run - there's signage up for it already in the New A photos. I wouldn't be even slightly concerned about that. I also understand that New A gates will be all mainline -- so it won't be a UAX area like now. That's consolidating into the C130-area gates. So the shuttle will be as critical as ever to get between terminals.

The shuttle will be more frequent than now owing to the larger gauge, and larger number of pax expected to be transferring, even if the initial flights will be targeted at O&D markets.

UAFAM Nov 16, 2022 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 34764114)
The shuttle will be more frequent than now owing to the larger gauge, and larger number of pax expected to be transferring, even if the initial flights will be targeted at O&D markets.

Hopefully those UA's dragons won't be there to check boarding passes before letting people use the shuttle between terminals.

unitedbusiness Nov 17, 2022 4:51 am

Will there be a United Club at this new terminal?

kdad Nov 17, 2022 5:42 am

Originally Posted by unitedbusiness (Post 34764883)
Will there be a United Club at this new terminal?

There is a UC at the new Terminal A. Much discussion up thread of it. Most likely will not open when the new terminal opens, though.

goodeats21 Nov 17, 2022 9:45 pm

-RM

Agree, that is a very bad chokepoint, though I would also add the OTG nonsense of all the restaurants in the middle of corridors also makes Newark just seem like a cramped mess, hard to navigate through all over.

Is the New Terminal A an "OTG free" zone...? Please!

jamesinclair Nov 18, 2022 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 34764004)
The airtrain goes pretty close to the new terminal. The P1 station was where the new parking garage is and the P2 station is currently unused but adjacent to that garage. My guess is they'll use P2 with a l😢ng walk. I don't expect any addition to the current airtrain as it's obsolete and overdue for replacement.

This article on the new terminal references the AirTrain this way:

Correct, P2 will be renamed as TA. You would have to take a LONG walk to the new garage and then a LONG walk to the new terminal. So long that they will be running shuttle buses to the air train.

The new monorail will be closer to the terminal, and is scheduled to open in *checks notes* 2022. Except they havent even started it.

Xyzzy Nov 18, 2022 10:16 am

Originally Posted by jamesinclair (Post 34768138)
Correct, P2 will be renamed as TA. You would have to take a LONG walk to the new garage and then a LONG walk to the new terminal. So long that they will be running shuttle buses to the air train.

The new monorail will be closer to the terminal, and is scheduled to open in *checks notes* 2022. Except they havent even started it.

What's crazy is that those long walks are a lot shorter than what's proposed for terminal B passengers and about the same as what's pr😯posed for terminal C passengers when the replacement train is finally in place.

Say Vandelay Nov 21, 2022 8:00 am

Will arriving flights from those 23 destinations also be coming into new terminal A?

EWR764 Nov 21, 2022 8:09 am

A UA 737-700 was doing gate fit tests this weekend on the long (East?) concourse at new Terminal A. Assume this is where UA gates will be.

PTahCha Nov 21, 2022 8:57 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 34761194)
Makes me wonder if/when the Port Authority decides to redo Terminal C. Having a dedicated terminal for UA done in this fashion would be amazing.

Originally Posted by jp12687 (Post 34762166)
If only they would do a major upgrade to terminal C.

That would be up to United. As the sole tenant of Terminal C, UA has full control over the facilities.

jamesinclair Nov 28, 2022 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 34768162)
What's crazy is that those long walks are a lot shorter than what's proposed for terminal B passengers and about the same as what's pr😯posed for terminal C passengers when the replacement train is finally in place.

Correct, the airtrain replacement plan is idiotic / intentional to get people to drive and park

DELee Nov 28, 2022 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by jamesinclair (Post 34768138)

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 34768162)

Originally Posted by jamesinclair (Post 34792024)
Correct, the airtrain replacement plan is idiotic / intentional to get people to drive and park

What? You mean that these walkways aren't really for people and more to drive more driving? Not possible! What entity would do such as thing to the flying public?

Oh wait. Never mind.

​​​​​​​David

goodeats21 Nov 29, 2022 10:56 am

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 34774445)
A UA 737-700 was doing gate fit tests this weekend on the long (East?) concourse at new Terminal A. Assume this is where UA gates will be.

Looks like they were test fitting UAX this morning.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...46ee8a2642.jpg