Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Use of Infant Car Seats in UA's Polaris Seats, UA says No but ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use of Infant Car Seats in UA's Polaris Seats, UA says No but ....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Ritz Plat
i would like to try my best to fly ANA lol, I'm not saying I don't like UA. Apparently ANA has a better product.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by TomA
I've flown both. Although the legacy Continental seats are better than the legacy United seats, the 777-9 outfitted with Polaris seats is FAR, FAR better, no question about it.

I'm doing my Asia flights through TPE now just to get that plane--its that good.

Forgetting the far better seats, I've never noticed much difference between the 787 and the 777 in terms of comfort/noise/humidity. I know the specs are better, but the difference isn't that noticible to me at all. I also don't like that the windows don't really close on the 787. The interior lighting is the biggest noticible difference (to me) and the 777-9 has the same lighting as the 787.
Agree with you on the comfort comment,I think though which seat is better is a very personal call, I am fairly tall and I find the only advantage of the exCo cabin is that you can find center seats that eliminate the climb over factor , the seat itself I think is awful, tiny foot well and the curvature of the seat in front make it for me uncomfortable.
I really like the 777ER cabin , best thing UA has done in a while,not so much the 787's.I guess the biggest factor in the decision is the kid.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
Buddy has a family emergency in Europe so I booked him a flight tomorrow with his infant ... easier and cheaper to book 2 seats instead of a lap infant due to the 10% of fare rule. Flying EWR-FRA on the new 777-3 with new Polaris. Anyone know if the seats are allowed to have an infant seat in them?? If so, is there a style limitation (e.g., bucket vs convertible seat). Infant is 8 months. TIA for any thoughts and best seating options -- side by side or tandem, etc.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have done the transpacific long haul flights multiple times with with my two kids when they were infants. Those were the days when flying from Florida to Singapore require minimum of two stops.

Forget those comments and suggestions without consideration of infant traveling. The debate on 787 and 77W for adults traveling without an infant is not useful.

On the 787, please go for seat 6A/B or 6D/E. Those seats are closer to the lavatory with baby chaging table (behind 5 A/B)

I saw a couple with an infant on the 77W (row 1 center pair) recently. Parents were commenting on having privacy to the FA, but would prefer the openness of older seat pair.

I know some don’t feel the difference between cabin pressure and humidity between the 787 and 777, but infants do. Infants’ ear drums are super sensitive and 787 is definitely quieter and better pressurized plane.

Also, my own experience calls for direct flight with minimum connections. The hassle of going through security at NRT with the infant with bags, stroller, infant seat, etc add a lot of stress. Also those landings and taking off will get those ear drums a good work out for the baby and those passengers on the plane for hearing the baby crying.

Minimun disruption to the infant should be priority number one during a long trip.

Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by jmcintosh
Buddy has a family emergency in Europe so I booked him a flight tomorrow with his infant ... easier and cheaper to book 2 seats instead of a lap infant due to the 10% of fare rule. Flying EWR-FRA on the new 777-3 with new Polaris. Anyone know if the seats are allowed to have an infant seat in them?? If so, is there a style limitation (e.g., bucket vs convertible seat). Infant is 8 months. TIA for any thoughts and best seating options -- side by side or tandem, etc.
100% applaud buying a second seat for the baby. Much safer. I could be wrong, but I don't believe there are any restrictions on the use of infant car seats in business class as long as the business class seat is forward facing. I would make sure parent and child are next to each other.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Not familiar with those seats specifically, but usually the restrictions are:

Needs to be forward facing
Needs to not have an airbag on the seatbelt (or if there is one, the ability to disable the airbag)
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have flown both but don't know how to handle babies. I don't see how the 77W would be easy dealing with a baby. A lot of the "real estate" is taken by the seat/"furniture". I usually take the window-side window seat. I don't see how 2 people can say work on the baby together - either on the seat or on the floor.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Child seats cannot be in a seat that is offset more than 18* from the fuselage. This means that all child restraint systems are not allowed in the forward most cabin of 767-300s, 777-200s (edit: see below), or 777-300s. Whether or not someone would catch this rule (as it's a rather new one for FAs and GAs) is a separate matter, of course.

Edit: The manual's restriction applies on the 76A, 76N (767-300s); the 77E, 77J, 77K, 77Q, 77R (777-200s) and the 77W (777-300). I think the fleet updates thread has the information as to what the fleet codes mean.

Last edited by fezzington; Apr 1, 2018 at 12:11 am Reason: Adding clarification on allowed planes
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fezzington
Child seats cannot be in a seat that is offset more than 18* from the fuselage. This means that all child restraint systems are not allowed in the forward most cabin of 767-300s, 777-200s, or 777-300s. Whether or not someone would catch this rule (as it's a rather new one for FAs and GAs) is a separate matter, of course.
What do "18*" and "from the fuselage" mean? Do you mean 18 inches from the wall? How does that translate into the forward-most cabin?

Confused... Thanks.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by username
What do "18*" and "from the fuselage" mean? Do you mean 18 inches from the wall? How does that translate into the forward-most cabin?

Confused... Thanks.
18 degree angle from the centerline of the fuselage.

Seats that face straight forward are fine. The angled reverse herringbone seats that are common on many airlines are not.

Also seatbelt can’t have an airbag (or if it does, need to be able to disable it)

Old Mar 31, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
I actually read on TPG that flying the 77w was better for flying with a child.

you can grab a Center pair and have your 1 year old with you in the center with one parent in the window seat.

i can’t find the article right now as I’m on my mobile but will post the link when I have a chance.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
18 degree angle from the centerline of the fuselage.

Seats that face straight forward are fine. The angled reverse herringbone seats that are common on many airlines are not.

Also seatbelt can’t have an airbag (or if it does, need to be able to disable it)
Exactly. (bolding mine) Sorry, I was rushing in between flights to post that.

The forward-most cabin restriction is pulled straight from the FA manual. I'm looking now, and .com doesn't seem to have the same restriction (it only restricts true First Class). I'll put an inquiry in to see which is correct.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:51 pm

I’d certainly appreciate a clarification, as I was planning on using a car seat on a 77W in August. From the seat plans, it looks like only 50% of the seats are at an angle, so I had been assuming the ones that face directly forward (ie the odd numbered rows) would be fine?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer
I’d certainly appreciate a clarification, as I was planning on using a car seat on a 77W in August. From the seat plans, it looks like only 50% of the seats are at an angle, so I had been assuming the ones that face directly forward (ie the odd numbered rows) would be fine?
That would have been my assumption as well, had the manual not been so specific. If I don't get back to you within a week or so, feel free to shoot me a reminder pm (forgetfulness is a prerequisite for FAs, it seems )
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:13 pm

@BostonFlyer , I did eventually hear back. Car seats are not allowed in any business class seat on the 77W - both FAs and GAs have that in their manuals. From my understanding, it's likely that we will see the restriction on future UPB cabins, as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.