FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Use of Infant Car Seats in UA's Polaris Seats, UA says No but .... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2039474-use-infant-car-seats-uas-polaris-seats-ua-says-no-but.html)

saintbiz Nov 11, 2017 4:24 pm

Polaris business between 77W or 787-9 when traveling as couple w/ infant

Hi,
my wife and I are traveling with a 1 year old baby from Singapore to SFO. We are deciding to take SIN-SFO on a 787-900 business (14.5 hrs) or breakdown to two parts, SIN-NRT-SFO on a 77W (6+9hr) flight.

From seatguru. 77W polaris business seems bigger with an open suite feel.
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Un..._777-300ER.php

787-900 is a standard lieflat bed seat. https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Un...ng_787-900.php

What is your experience with these two itinerary and aircrafts?

thanks

ual744777sta Nov 11, 2017 4:34 pm

The 77W will feature the new Polaris seat. The 787-900 features the old Continental business class seat.

wxguy Nov 11, 2017 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by saintbiz (Post 29049198)
Hi,
my wife and I are traveling with a 1 year old baby from Singapore to SFO. We are deciding to take SIN-SFO on a 787-900 business (14.5 hrs) or breakdown to two parts, SIN-NRT-SFO on a 77W (6+9hr) flight.

787-900 is a standard lieflat bed seat. https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Un...ng_787-900.php

thanks

Just to be precise, it's 787-9, not -900.

eyuro Nov 11, 2017 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by ual744777sta (Post 29049217)
The 77W will feature the new Polaris seat. The 787-900 features the old Continental business class seat.

I have not flown the new 77W yet and I've also never flown the 787-900 or 800. However I have flown the 777-200 with the old CO BF seats. I do however have friends who have flown BF in both these new planes and the consensus seems to be the the old CO BF seats are much wider. Privacy and the option of the middle row on the 77W with the 2 connected seats is a plus, but is it worth the stopover in NRT? With a baby?

nyr2299 Nov 11, 2017 5:17 pm

I have flown both. If you are getting your 1yr his own seat, I would recommend the 787. The 777w isn’t that conducive to two people flying together.

if he is in your lap, I would go with the 787 if you can get a bulkhead seat. I find the seats to be feel wider on the 787. If not, get a window on the 777w, you will have lots of privacy.

Overal, I find the 777w to have more privacy, but feel more claustrophobic than the 787. However, the 777w is light years ahead of the old UA business class seats in service.

KDS777 Nov 11, 2017 7:50 pm

Never flown J in the 777, but have done numerous 787 segments this year.

The biggest thing I notice overall is that the 787 is quieter and the humidity and cabin air is much, much, better than the 777.

The 787 seats are very comfortable IMHO.

MatthewLAX Nov 11, 2017 8:36 pm

OP, is your connection from SIN-NRT going to be in Singapore or ANA Business Class?

saintbiz Nov 11, 2017 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post 29049821)
OP, is your connection from SIN-NRT going to be in Singapore or ANA Business Class?

SIN-NRT will be ANA Business.

TomA Nov 11, 2017 11:04 pm

I've flown both. Although the legacy Continental seats are better than the legacy United seats, the 777-9 outfitted with Polaris seats is FAR, FAR better, no question about it.

I'm doing my Asia flights through TPE now just to get that plane--its that good.

Forgetting the far better seats, I've never noticed much difference between the 787 and the 777 in terms of comfort/noise/humidity. I know the specs are better, but the difference isn't that noticible to me at all. I also don't like that the windows don't really close on the 787. The interior lighting is the biggest noticible difference (to me) and the 777-9 has the same lighting as the 787.

JVPhoto Nov 11, 2017 11:55 pm

You may have an easier time passing the kid back and forth and dealing with that on the 789. The people telling you to fly the 77W with a lay over I would guess have not traveled with an infant.

findark Nov 12, 2017 12:47 am

I've never flown with an infant before - but I would ignore all the details on cabin quality and take the itinerary that seems better for you. The 789 is a very nice ride up front, especially as a couple. I have no idea if it's easier to take the stop with a baby, but my instinct says no.

SEA-Flyer Nov 12, 2017 12:54 am

Originally Posted by TomA (Post 29050145)
I've flown both. Although the legacy Continental seats are better than the legacy United seats, the 777-9 outfitted with Polaris seats is FAR, FAR better, no question about it.

I'm doing my Asia flights through TPE now just to get that plane--its that good.

Forgetting the far better seats, I've never noticed much difference between the 787 and the 777 in terms of comfort/noise/humidity. I know the specs are better, but the difference isn't that noticible to me at all. I also don't like that the windows don't really close on the 787. The interior lighting is the biggest noticible difference (to me) and the 777-9 has the same lighting as the 787.

You mean the 77W, not the 777-9. The 777-9 isn’t in service with any airline yet, and won’t be until 2020.

usbusinesstraveller Nov 12, 2017 1:38 am

Originally Posted by findark (Post 29050323)
I've never flown with an infant before - but I would ignore all the details on cabin quality and take the itinerary that seems better for you. The 789 is a very nice ride up front, especially as a couple. I have no idea if it's easier to take the stop with a baby, but my instinct says no.

I've never flown with an infant either. I have flown the sCO business seats that are on the 789 (but on a 772) and the real Polaris on the 77W. While as a solo flier I prefer the real Polaris, for a couple (esp with an infant) I'd go for the 789. You'll be closer together on the 789. Polaris gives all aisle access but makes the seats private and individual. While the odd row center 2 do provide a degree of closeness it's not the same as the 789. The best seats would be the center two so that you both have unfettered aisle access, and the bulkhead is by far the best.

phkc070408 Nov 12, 2017 2:14 am

We traveled CAN-NRT-EWR with an infant and I can tell you 100% to go with the 789. Row 6AB and 6KL have bassinets.

While the 77W has bassinets in row 9, the parent sitting with the child will be taking care of the child for the whole flight by themselves while the other parent will be chowing down and resting like a baby themselves. In the 789, you will be able to work more as a team when times get tough.

Don't worry if the seats with the basinets are already taken when you book. When we took our trip, we were told that we still had exclusive rights to those seats and the FA asked the two people who reserved those seats to relocate. (YMMV)

Oh, and OT, but don't forget, your lap child still a ticket for international travel, 10% of the price of an adult ticket.

Dublin_rfk Nov 12, 2017 5:12 am

Originally Posted by saintbiz (Post 29049198)
Hi,

thanks

I flew both AC this month. A 77W SFO-NRT then returned on an ANA 787-9 HND-SIN connecting to UA787-9 SIN-SFO.
Ok, not in the same direction or sequence.
The seating on the 77W ( 1-2-1 ) is more private and would be difficult to share time with your child even with the center pairs of seats. You would be passing the child over a large center divider.
It is much easier to get seating pairs on the 787-9 and the inflight condition/experience is better
I believe that the direct (787-9) with adjoining seats ( 2-2-2 ) would be more child friendly not to mention non stop and shorter.
I have traveled (solo) with a lap children. I have had the pleasure of having only one negative inflight with a child and that was due to teething ( we were all not happy ). For me it would depend on how well your child travels. If your child travels well and accepts being confined to a small area I would choose the nonstop with adjoining seats. If not it’s a choice of one long flight or two long flights.
PRO: The transfer in TYO is easy and allows you to give both you and the child a break.
CON: Its a transfer. Pack up, deplane, transfer, lounge, reboard, settle in.
So, however you decide. Good luck and have a fun and enjoyable trip!