Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Use of Infant Car Seats in UA's Polaris Seats, UA says No but ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use of Infant Car Seats in UA's Polaris Seats, UA says No but ....

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2021, 9:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PTahCha
... Also, not all 767-300 have been converted to the new Polaris seat yet. ....
Aren't the 3 unconverted 763As presently parked (@ ROW).
Old May 3, 2021, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by jjj8
I have a ~23-month-old daughter who will be flying with me in J in a 763 (767s in LIH, neat!). It seems that all 763s have been converted to the all-aisle-access new Polaris seats (1-1-1), although the seat map is still showing the old Diamond seats (2-1-2).

1. I would like her to sit in her child car seat, but https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...s/infants.html says: "Child safety seats or restraint systems also aren’t permitted in United Polaris® business class on 767, 777 and 787 aircraft, including those with rear-facing seats." However, https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...l-aviv-newark/ says that flight attendants do sometimes allow car seats. Does anyone have recent experiences or advice?

2. Even if a car seat is allowed, if the plane ends up being 1-1-1 new Polaris, that would be bad because I would be far away from my daughter. I guess I don't really have a question here, but...yeah.
I'm having trouble understanding your question. Do you think you should be exempt from UA's clearly stated policy because you are 1K?
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by artvandalay
I'm having trouble understanding your question. Do you think you should be exempt from UA's clearly stated policy because you are 1K?
No. I saw a blog post (plus comments below) saying that FAs do not enforce this policy and have a different official policy that is more lenient. Given that, plus the fact that the policy allows child seats on 757-200s with Diamond seats, it seems like they might also be allowed on 763s with Diamond seats. My question is: what experiences have people had with FAs enforcing this policy? (I mean, isn't so much of FT about what the airlines' effective policies are, not what's written on some web page?)
SPN Lifer and J_Stroming like this.
Old May 4, 2021, 2:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
I imagine the car seat restriction has to do with taxi/take-off/landing and the need for the shoulder belt during those phases of flight. If so, just have the child on your lap (some will argue, rightly, about the safety of that but it wouldn't be prohibited if the child is under 2) during those phases and you should be fine to use a car seat during level flight.
jjj8 likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 3:55 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
No. I saw a blog post (plus comments below) saying that FAs do not enforce this policy and have a different official policy that is more lenient. Given that, plus the fact that the policy allows child seats on 757-200s with Diamond seats, it seems like they might also be allowed on 763s with Diamond seats. My question is: what experiences have people had with FAs enforcing this policy? (I mean, isn't so much of FT about what the airlines' effective policies are, not what's written on some web page?)
It’s not so much about the FAs enforcing policy, as it is about the FAA enforcing its regulations. Failure to ensure passengers are properly seated can lead the certificate holder (meaning the pilot) to lose his/her license. Can also lead to major fines upon the airline.

The answer is that your child will not be flying in Polaris in a car seat. Either fly another airline or fly in Economy.
Old May 4, 2021, 4:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
My question is: what experiences have people had with FAs enforcing this policy?
In my experience (mostly on Ultra-Long TPAC flights) United's flight attendants will bend over backwards to help parents with infants, and try and make travel on board as pleasant as possible for any infants and children on board.
I've been critical of United's FAs on occasion on this forum, but this is one area where I've witnessed nothing but care and compassion from the FAs.

I suggest NOT to put any FA in the position of having to choose between accommodating a passenger with an infant and their employer's explicit policy.
Just put yourself in the shoes of the FA: Would you feel comfortable bending the rules for a passenger, but at the same time risk the airline and its pilot getting in serious trouble over it?
Old May 4, 2021, 6:44 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Aren't the 3 unconverted 763As presently parked (@ ROW).
You are correct! Which means that OP will more likely get a Polaris-configured cabin than not, depends on when they are flying.

Originally Posted by narvik
In my experience (mostly on Ultra-Long TPAC flights) United's flight attendants will bend over backwards to help parents with infants, and try and make travel on board as pleasant as possible for any infants and children on board.
I've been critical of United's FAs on occasion on this forum, but this is one area where I've witnessed nothing but care and compassion from the FAs.

I suggest NOT to put any FA in the position of having to choose between accommodating a passenger with an infant and their employer's explicit policy.
Just put yourself in the shoes of the FA: Would you feel comfortable bending the rules for a passenger, but at the same time risk the airline and its pilot getting in serious trouble over it?
Or putting the FA's own FAA Airman status in jeopardy. (It's not always all about the pilot )
Old May 4, 2021, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by PTahCha

Or putting the FA's own FAA Airman status in jeopardy. (It's not always all about the pilot )
Flight attendants are not considered airmen for the purposes of the FAA. FAs do earn a Certificate of Demonstrated Proficiency; however, this is not considered an airman certification.
Old May 4, 2021, 9:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by sannmann
Flight attendants are not considered airmen for the purposes of the FAA. FAs do earn a Certificate of Demonstrated Proficiency; however, this is not considered an airman certification.
This is moving away from the topic, but flight attendants cannot be flight attendants without their certificate of demonstrated proficiency. If the FA does not follow FAA required safety procedures, which includes enforcing airline-specific procedures that are related to not allowing child seats in seats that are not certified to do so, then they may be subject to a write up by the FAA inspector should they be onboard. They are, however, not expected to fly a plane in case of an emergency.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
I have a ~23-month-old daughter who will be flying with me in J in a 763 (767s in LIH, neat!). It seems that all 763s have been converted to the all-aisle-access new Polaris seats (1-1-1), although the seat map is still showing the old Diamond seats (2-1-2), which I am hopeful for.

I would like her to sit in her child car seat, but https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...s/infants.html says: "Child safety seats or restraint systems also aren’t permitted in United Polaris® business class on 767, 777 and 787 aircraft, including those with rear-facing seats." However, https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...l-aviv-newark/ says that flight attendants do sometimes allow car seats. Does anyone have recent experiences or advice?
United is violating FAA policy by banning car seats in the forward facing Polaris seats.

i have interviewed Jan Brown for my blog and have her full support in using her name and flight 232 story to convince flight attendants to allow car seats in Polaris. She thinks it's egregious that United and the FAA haven't worked out a solution and she considers the FAA to be a worthless agency. She said that post flight 232, it frustrates her to no end that flight attendants would tell someone to hold an infant instead of using a car seat, just because that's what the company policy is.

So I have no shame in going 4/4 in using carseats in Polaris.
SPN Lifer, jjj8, onthesam and 2 others like this.
Old May 5, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
United is violating FAA policy by banning car seats in the forward facing Polaris seats.

i have interviewed Jan Brown for my blog and have her full support in using her name and flight 232 story to convince flight attendants to allow car seats in Polaris. She thinks it's egregious that United and the FAA haven't worked out a solution and she considers the FAA to be a worthless agency. She said that post flight 232, it frustrates her to no end that flight attendants would tell someone to hold an infant instead of using a car seat, just because that's what the company policy is.

So I have no shame in going 4/4 in using carseats in Polaris.
I don’t have a dog in this fight but I’m failing to understand how United is violating any FAA policy. Would you mind elaborating?
anteater likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Originally Posted by clubord
I don’t have a dog in this fight but I’m failing to understand how United is violating any FAA policy. Would you mind elaborating?
There is a thread with the details:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-infant-3.html
Bottomline is that there are FAR's that say the "no certificate holder may prohibit" the use of a car seat if all required conditions hold. One interpretation is that a forward facing Polaris seat satisfies all conditions. And UA's prohibition is just a result of laziness, because it was easier for them to ban carseats from all Polaris seats instead of just the angled ones (more than 18 degree angle rules out a car seat). I am not sure it's 100% clear cut in terms of the rules, but the end result of banning car seats in forward facing seats is definitely something that reduces safety.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
I have a ~23-month-old daughter who will be flying with me in J in a 763 (767s in LIH, neat!). It seems that all 763s have been converted to the all-aisle-access new Polaris seats (1-1-1), although the seat map is still showing the old Diamond seats (2-1-2), which I am hopeful for.

I would like her to sit in her child car seat, but https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...s/infants.html says: "Child safety seats or restraint systems also aren’t permitted in United Polaris® business class on 767, 777 and 787 aircraft, including those with rear-facing seats." However, https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...l-aviv-newark/ says that flight attendants do sometimes allow car seats. Does anyone have recent experiences or advice?
Given the rules I always booked 787 non-Polaris with our daughter and her car seat. But in one instance we were schedule changed onto a Polaris 777. I did select forward facing seats (2 in the middle is really nice for this purpose) and we did attempt to use car seats. They didn't let us use it at all, we had to put it in the overhead bin. Because we were visibly annoyed with the stupidity of these "safety" rules, the cabin crew felt guilty and we got a large amount of etcs (I think more than what the seat cost).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
And UA's prohibition is just a result of laziness, because it was easier for them to ban carseats from all Polaris seats instead of just the angled ones (more than 18 degree angle rules out a car seat).
It probably goes beyond laziness to avoiding confusion and problems with seat switches.

Most passengers booking seats for an infant won't easily realize that only ~50% of polaris seats can take a car seat. And even more of a challenge if the airline has to do some seat switching.

Yes, I realize it *could* do these things, and perhaps that's "laziness", but I could understand why they'd do this . . . even if though I agree with the point they should allow it if it's permissible from an FAA/safety perspective.
Old May 5, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
There is a thread with the details:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-infant-3.html
Bottomline is that there are FAR's that say the "no certificate holder may prohibit" the use of a car seat if all required conditions hold. One interpretation is that a forward facing Polaris seat satisfies all conditions. And UA's prohibition is just a result of laziness, because it was easier for them to ban carseats from all Polaris seats instead of just the angled ones (more than 18 degree angle rules out a car seat). I am not sure it's 100% clear cut in terms of the rules, but the end result of banning car seats in forward facing seats is definitely something that reduces safety.
How is it not in violation of FAA rules? There's no plausible explanation other than people will get confused, which is a lousy explanation.

People can also book an exit row seat (or the row in front or behind an exit row seat!) without realizing that carseats can't go there. They get reseated, big deal.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.