Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO's $1 billion terminal expansion now on hold indefinitely (UA's T3)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2021, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SFO Terminal 3 West Modernization Project March 2019 overview (now on hold)
Print Wikipost

SFO's $1 billion terminal expansion now on hold indefinitely (UA's T3)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2021, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given the current situation it makes sense for UA leave T3 as it is and save capital outlays for better times. I can live with that.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I think Terminal 3 is fine as is with some tweaks - but I suspect United made some noise and perhaps rightly so that Terminal 3 certainly lags behind a brand new Terminal 1 and a newer Terminal 2.
The T3 West project is part of SFO's 10-year Capital Improvement Plan, but the most important parts of it are the Seismic Retrofit of the terminal, and the gate reconfigurations so that they can link directly to Customs.

The UC portion gets the most attention here on FT, but it's just the icing on the cake.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 11:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Given the current situation it makes sense for UA leave T3 as it is and save capital outlays for better times. I can live with that.
Note the major part of the program is being funded by City of San Francisco the owners of the airport (not UA - although some aspects such as the "new" UC will incur some expense but not for some time -- now even later)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
While passing down memory lane, I dearly miss the boutique Presidents Club. Located outside security, I'd often wait there when picking up friends and family arriving. The whole crew was amazing, and I remain friends with several. My favorite was the lovely Thai bartender; sadly she has passed but I've become friends with her son and grandson. Every once in a long while I'll see S who I think is the one remaining PC crew at SFO. Always brightens the trip.
SPN Lifer and narvik like this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
That brings back memories. But no it was not a UC. It was a Red Carpet Club!
nd the CO club was outside the secure area ... and the rental cars were where the International terminal is now ... and there was a Hilton on-site, and,..
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I agree T3 is fine.

The only really unfortunate thing here is that I assume the airside connector to T2 is also delayed.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
... The only really unfortunate thing here is that I assume the airside connector to T2 is also delayed.
Perhaps not, as the article did state, that in-progress projects will continue but the T3 project, not yet started, will be delayed and
Among the projects underway .... new connecting walkways between Terminals 2 and 3 will open in October, if all goes as planned.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
the gate reconfigurations so that they can link directly to Customs.
Which gates would they link to customs?
Old Mar 2, 2021, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Note the major part of the program is being funded by City of San Francisco the owners of the airport (not UA - although some aspects such as the "new" UC will incur some expense but not for some time -- now even later)
Good to know.
Of course, any seismic improvements as pointed out should get highest priority
SPN Lifer, wrp96 and cuthroat like this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
Which gates would they link to customs?
Everything you want to know and more...especially on page 7.

https://sfgov.org/arts/sites/default...ion_031819.pdf
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Everything you want to know and more...especially on page 7.

https://sfgov.org/arts/sites/default...ion_031819.pdf
Thanks for the link .. AT $1B that's an awful lt less of a renovation than I expected.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Thanks for the link .. AT $1B that's an awful lt less of a renovation than I expected.
Seismic retrofitting is not cheap and neither is retrofitting a facility that still being used -- plus we are talking California and high-cost area even for California.
SPN Lifer and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seismic retrofitting is not cheap and neither is retrofitting a facility that still being used -- plus we are talking California and high-cost area even for California.
Absolutely - but that terminal isn't terribly old. I presume seismic prtection has come a long way since it was built....
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not to mention all the bribes that have to be paid out of that $1 Billion. SFO Commissioner Resigns Amid Public Corruption Schedule
Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not to mention all the bribes that have to be paid out of that $1 Billion. SFO Commissioner Resigns Amid Public Corruption Schedule
Agree; not exactly an impressive scope for the pricetag, but $1b certainly doesn't buy what it used to, especially in the Bay Area. Familiar territory for me in the NY area.​​
SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.