Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO's $1 billion terminal expansion now on hold indefinitely (UA's T3)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2021, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SFO Terminal 3 West Modernization Project March 2019 overview (now on hold)
Print Wikipost

SFO's $1 billion terminal expansion now on hold indefinitely (UA's T3)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It interesting how folks are not perturbed by the renovation / retrofit delay of SFO T3 but prefer to remanence about what the terminale was like 30-40 years --- must be little else to post about.
Well - I think most of us agree - a renovation of T3 is certainly nice to have - it is actually fine as is.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It interesting how folks are not perturbed by the renovation / retrofit delay of SFO T3 but prefer to remanence about what the terminale was like 30-40 years --- must be little else to post about.
I suspect some of us are also nostalgic for the UA of that era.

And it sure beats posting about mask compliance and where to get your COVID test
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Well - I think most of us agree - a renovation of T3 is certainly nice to have - it is actually fine as is.
E gates and Terminal 1 & Terminal 2 make the entry hall for Terminal 3 look a bit dated

And more gates (if things return to the past) would help and seismic updates could be useful for the next one.

Originally Posted by Kacee
... And it sure beats posting about mask compliance ...
As a Moderator I would agree
Wyfind likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Consider how interesting it is that many of us who predominantly used to fly out of the North Terminal now frequent the other parts of the airport and our main concern is getting to the AX lounge in T3, all airside
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I'm just glad I'll probably get to use the bouncy people movers at least one more time.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
... (3) downstairs in the Central Terminal (now the rebuilt T2).
Fond memories of the Central Terminal RCC with the windows into the garden area. I didn't start flying int'l F until after the international terminal opened, so never experienced the older F lounge(s).
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Not to mention all the bribes that have to be paid out of that $1 Billion. SFO Commissioner Resigns Amid Public Corruption Schedule
As far as BRIBERY is concerned that is pretty pathetic!
I read the article: $5000 which wasn't paid, for a catering spot which wasn't given.
​​​​
​​​​Amateurs!
These people should visit the Eastcoast; they could learn a thing or two regarding bribery and how it's done from the Port Authority of NY & NJ!
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:18 am

Long before the late 90s. UA was in the North Terminal (now T3) as long as I've lived in the SF area (i.e., 1985). There were 3 RCCs - (1) the Rotunda one - part of the same footprint as the current one, but smaller. (2) The upstairs one on the level where the AX lounge is (landside), and (3) downstairs in the Central Terminal (now the rebuilt T2). The International F lounge was located in the center of the terminal area, with a short walk to the gates. The rest of the lounges were downstairs in a dungeon-like setup.

For a short while, UA needed some extra gates, so it used a few in the South Terminal (now T1). I don't recall if there was a bus or not between North and South.
Yup they opened the North Terninal in 79...was delayed a bit by a United strike.

Central Teeninal was the international terminal from the early 80s until the current built about 20 years ago.

Im glad these aesthetic updates are delayed - good memories of my first flights / waiting for relatives to arrive at that terminal. And it’s airy / bright / spacious as it is - holds up like Denver.

Saul Bass geeks would appreciate the original signage and many of the terminal design elements were the work of Walter Landor.

He did Alitalia, British Airways 80s liveries among others.

Also did the MUNI worm and orange livery, the old Golden Gate Transit “GG”, the Safeway ribbon S, and the Bank of America eagle.

I was disappointed when they took out the orange gate number signs a couple years ago - that was his touch. The parking garage still has most of his touches.

Heres an interview where he talks about the terminal

Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Im glad these aesthetic updates are delayed - good memories of my first flights / waiting for relatives to arrive at that terminal. And it’s airy / bright / spacious as it is - holds up like Denver.
Agree. The F concourse connector, with its changing (and almost always interesting) displays and bouncy walkways, is classic. It would be a shame to see it replaced with yet another generic, mall-like space. (Though there's some hope SFO will do it right, witness E concourse and the excellent art outside the main restrooms, include a Thiebault).
EWR764, Manoa Chris and NoLaGent like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 9:27 am

Agree. The F concourse connector, with its changing (and almost always interesting) displays and bouncy walkways, is classic. It would be a shame to see it replaced with yet another generic, mall-like space. (Though there's some hope SFO will do it right, witness E concourse and the excellent art outside the main restrooms, include a Thiebault).
Yeah agreed.

I really enjoyed United's "Blue Box" Link Trainer that was on display a year or two ago.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Something SFO generally does right is the Museum, which is, not only the actual museum and library room in the Int'l terminal (A side, landside) but the myriad of exhibits throughout the terminals. I would frequently not take the moving walkway just to see the exhibits on the way out to the (previously numbered) 80s gates. (I've not been out there post-renumbering, so I'd expect that seeing the new signage will be a shock to the system.)
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and NoLaGent like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Something SFO generally does right is the Museum, which is, not only the actual museum and library room in the Int'l terminal (A side, landside) but the myriad of exhibits throughout the terminals. I would frequently not take the moving walkway just to see the exhibits on the way out to the (previously numbered) 80s gates. (I've not been out there post-renumbering, so I'd expect that seeing the new signage will be a shock to the system.)
The signage isn't too bad. At least you don't have to remember if gate 90 is at the end of F or beginning of G. I always got that wrong, and was a bad mistake to make (for me) once.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Consider how interesting it is that many of us who predominantly used to fly out of the North Terminal now frequent the other parts of the airport and our main concern is getting to the AX lounge in T3, all airside
Personally, the direct connection to the international terminal airside was a huge improvement. Still remember, the bus service previously for many of my overseas flights thru SFO.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 4:08 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
That brings back memories. But no it was not a UC. It was a Red Carpet Club!
The one on the mezzanine served as family reception for the 9/11 flight that was bound for SFO and never re-opened after air travel resumed.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by ryman554
The signage isn't too bad. At least you don't have to remember if gate 90 is at the end of F or beginning of G. I always got that wrong, and was a bad mistake to make (for me) once.
I think the new F gate signage is pretty boring and unimaginative, especially compared to the old ones.

Funny you mention the gate numbering. I was at the point where I pretty much knew the exact location of each of the gates at SFO. Now over a year since the re-numbering, and I still find myself pulling up the terminal map when I see my gate assignment!
iluv2fly, SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Denver is continuing with the Great Hall improvements, as well as expansion of concourses. I realize Denver is more domestic than SFO, is that the key difference?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.