Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO's $1 billion terminal expansion now on hold indefinitely (UA's T3)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2021, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SFO Terminal 3 West Modernization Project March 2019 overview (now on hold)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2021, 10:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Not surprising, given the reduced airport revenues for the city

SFO's $1 billion terminal expansion now on hold indefinitely
SFGATE
San Francisco International Airport has twice in the last year delayed plans for a $1 billion expansion and renovation of Terminal 3. Now that project, T3 West, is on hold indefinitely. While previous delays were announced, this most recent—and likely more significant change—was revealed during the February 10 meeting of the Board of Supervisors’ Budget and Finance Committee. The committee will now allow existing retail and commercial tenants, who would have been displaced by construction, to renew their leases through December of 2023.
Was to include new food & retail shops, a larger UC, and a number of passenger amenities
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 2:16 am

On the bright side, the Rotunda T3 Red Carpet Club has more than stood, and continues to stand, the test of time. It has a lot more character and class than any “modern” club in the system, a sentiment that most everyone I knows shares.

Compare it to the 1-bathroom stall “club expedience” at Newark (dark figuratively and literally)…and well…

T3 at SFO is fine and has aged quite well itself - we’ll survive.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, Boraxo and 10 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by tuolumne
On the bright side, the Rotunda T3 Red Carpet Club has more than stood, and continues to stand, the test of time. It has a lot more character and class than any “modern” club in the system, a sentiment that most everyone I knows shares.

Compare it to the 1-bathroom stall “club expedience” at Newark (dark figuratively and literally)…and well…

My only real complaint with T3 is the outdated TSA area. The machines, the processes and the line management all need to be brought up to date - and given much more space.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 4:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Concur. T3 is fine, and the Rotunda UC remains one of my favorite places to wait for my next flight.
SPN Lifer and am1108 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not even all THAT old. I remember when that was space was the flight attendant crew base / domicile through the 1990s (I forget when that changed exactly).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Bear96
It's not even all THAT old. I remember when that was space was the flight attendant crew base / domicile through the 1990s (I forget when that changed exactly).
Yep. Used to be a smaller UC (with no bathrooms) in the rotunda area with an entrance up around to the right (basically across from the food court area). And the second mezzanine level 'pre security' club. I want to say late 90s also.
SPN Lifer and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Yep. Used to be a smaller UC (with no bathrooms) in the rotunda area with an entrance up around to the right (basically across from the food court area). And the second mezzanine level 'pre security' club. I want to say late 90s also.
That brings back memories. But no it was not a UC. It was a Red Carpet Club!
Old Mar 2, 2021, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
My only real complaint with T3 is the outdated TSA area. The machines, the processes and the line management all need to be brought up to date - and given much more space.
My complaint is of the moment, but very substantive I think: the bouncy walkways are now always out of commission!
Old Mar 2, 2021, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
That brings back memories. But no it was not a UC. It was a Red Carpet Club!
Oops, yes indeed! And I seem to remember the pre-security one up on the mezzanine level was across from a full service bank.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 10:45 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by fumje
My complaint is of the moment, but very substantive I think: the bouncy walkways are now always out of commission!
Yes. It was yesterday. And the walkway is really too long. It should be split into two walkways similar to those connecting B and C at ORD.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Yes. It was yesterday. And the walkway is really too long. It should be split into two walkways similar to those connecting B and C at ORD.
Is the advantage of having a split so that you can zip around any potential human roadblock partway through? If so I would agree — nothing to take the pleasure out of those walkways like being bottled up and not bouncing along.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 10:56 am

Programs: UA1K
man, i'm OK with T3 staying how it is. i have so many memories of layovers/trips into SF and T3 is it. i remember watching the dbacks/yankees game 7 at gordon biersch. lakers/celtics when the lakers blew what seemed like a 30 point lead in the finals in 2008 (?) at buena vista. getting excited to get to anchor brew bar to have the xmas ale on draft! ah memories.
MojaveFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 11:00 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by fumje
Is the advantage of having a split so that you can zip around any potential human roadblock partway through? If so I would agree — nothing to take the pleasure out of those walkways like being bottled up and not bouncing along.
That, and if one section goes down the other would be running. I have never seen both sections of the walkway out of commission at ORD at the same time.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
That, and if one section goes down the other would be running. I have never seen both sections of the walkway out of commission at ORD at the same time.
I'll confess I am cynically suspicious that it is not a technical problem, and instead it is a 'money' problem, i.e. they want to save on the power costs of operating it, or perhaps don't want to pay the mechanics.

The G walkways also seem to be frequently out of commission with no one working on them. That is more than a little bit aggravating when my SFO-LAX gets assigned to G10!
Boraxo likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I think Terminal 3 is fine as is with some tweaks - but I suspect United made some noise and perhaps rightly so that Terminal 3 certainly lags behind a brand new Terminal 1 and a newer Terminal 2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.