Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO's $1 billion terminal expansion now on hold indefinitely (UA's T3)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2021, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SFO Terminal 3 West Modernization Project March 2019 overview (now on hold)
Print Wikipost

SFO's $1 billion terminal expansion now on hold indefinitely (UA's T3)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by EWR764
Agree; not exactly an impressive scope for the pricetag, but $1b certainly doesn't buy what it used to, especially in the Bay Area. Familiar territory for me in the NY area.​​
You mean EWR wasn't "on time/under budget"?
EWR764, Kacee and cuthroat like this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Everything you want to know and more...especially on page 7.

https://sfgov.org/arts/sites/default...ion_031819.pdf
Seems like the biggest benefit of the project would have been 3 more gates that can accept inbound international widebody arrivals. G gates had been in short supply at SFO before the pandemic hit.

With international traffic not likely to be a problem for many many years, I think make sense to defer this project indefinitely.
SPN Lifer and Boraxo like this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Thanks for the link .. AT $1B that's an awful lt less of a renovation than I expected.
Well, the plans do include two penthouses...
EWR764 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
Well, the plans do include two penthouses...
Two penthouses for a billion in San Francisco is a deal!
Old Mar 4, 2021, 7:01 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Not when you already own the land!
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:59 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It just one remodeled, enlarged penthouse, with no windows and a lot of noisy equipment (the other {mechnical} penthouse is preexisting and appears unmodified)
JAaronT likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It just one remodeled, enlarged penthouse, with no windows and a lot of noisy equipment (the other {mechnical} penthouse is preexisting and appears unmodified)
And potentially airplane noise. But at that price in SF, you gotta make compromises.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
And potentially airplane noise. But at that price in SF, you gotta make compromises.
Some of us would pay extra for airplane noise.
Xyzzy, JAaronT, Gar1P and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Yep. Used to be a smaller UC (with no bathrooms) in the rotunda area with an entrance up around to the right (basically across from the food court area). And the second mezzanine level 'pre security' club. I want to say late 90s also.
My experience and memory go back to the period when UA operated out of T1 before moving to T3 in the late 90s.

The RCC was located one level below the gate level with limited number of windows. I remembered the late morning smoke spreading out of smoking area into the non-smoking session because large number of smokers were getting their nicotine boost before the long transpacific flights.

There was a small international F class lounge located at the gate level at T1 at the time.

When UA moved from T1 to T3, it was a welcome news to many of us and also heavily promoted by UA at the time.....moving to a state-of-the art facility with expanded space and added comfort for passengers.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
My experience and memory go back to the period when UA operated out of T1 before moving to T3 in the late 90s.
That had to be well before the late 90's, wasn't it?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I well recall CO at SFO T1 (I believe it was called the "South Terminal" then) but I can't recall when they moved. I think it could have been at the end of 2005.
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Long before the late 90s. UA was in the North Terminal (now T3) as long as I've lived in the SF area (i.e., 1985). There were 3 RCCs - (1) the Rotunda one - part of the same footprint as the current one, but smaller. (2) The upstairs one on the level where the AX lounge is (landside), and (3) downstairs in the Central Terminal (now the rebuilt T2). The International F lounge was located in the center of the terminal area, with a short walk to the gates. The rest of the lounges were downstairs in a dungeon-like setup.

For a short while, UA needed some extra gates, so it used a few in the South Terminal (now T1). I don't recall if there was a bus or not between North and South.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I well recall CO at SFO T1 (I believe it was called the "South Terminal" then) but I can't recall when they moved. I think it could have been at the end of 2005.
I'm pretty sure it was later than that. I started flying CO consistently circa 2008 and distinctly recall going to the counter in T1. (Accustomed to flying UA and getting their heavy card stock silver/gold ticket jackets, I asked the CO agent if I could have a jacket for my J ticket to PTY and he said "I'm sorry, we are a poor airline, sir").

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Long before the late 90s. UA was in the North Terminal (now T3) as long as I've lived in the SF area (i.e., 1985). There were 3 RCCs - (1) the Rotunda one - part of the same footprint as the current one, but smaller. (2) The upstairs one on the level where the AX lounge is (landside), and (3) downstairs in the Central Terminal (now the rebuilt T2). The International F lounge was located in the center of the terminal area, with a short walk to the gates. The rest of the lounges were downstairs in a dungeon-like setup.
Yes, they've been in T3 as long as I recall, and that's back to the mid-1990s. There was also an international business class lounge, which I recall being upstairs.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm pretty sure it was later than that. I started flying CO consistently circa 2008 and distinctly recall going to the counter in T1. (Accustomed to flying UA and getting their heavy card stock silver/gold ticket jackets, I asked the CO agent if I could have a jacket for my J ticket to PTY and he said "I'm sorry, we are a poor airline, sir").

Yes, they've been in T3 as long as I recall, and that's back to the mid-1990s. There was also an international business class lounge, which I recall being upstairs.
Nope. The International Business lounge was in the dungeon of the Central Terminal, and was an RCC. The F lounge was upstairs. It was a delightful little place. F&B were marginal for an F lounge, but rarely crowded, and with a great staff. Best yet, it wasn't more than a minute walk from any gate.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It interesting how folks are not perturbed by the renovation / retrofit delay of SFO T3 but prefer to remanence about what the terminale was like 30-40 years --- must be little else to post about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.