Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I had the chicken and orzo last week due to an unexpected upgrade going DEN-LAX and was pleasantly surprised. The chicken was thoroughly cooked but moist, the orzo was flavorful. It tasted a lot better than it looked.
st530 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Any reports of west coast-east coast redeye meal service since they brought back meal serivce? Pre covid they were always coded Snack but now I'm seeing Dinner. As one who always appreciates a meal on board, AA used to beat UA since they had at least one hot, filling dinner type option in addition to cheese plate lighter fare. Has UA upped its redeye food game or is this a coding error and it is still something super simple like the cheese/turkey calorie bomb?
Old Jul 21, 2021, 8:04 pm

On UA377 (8:58P) DEN-ORD dinner was advertised and served on the flight, which pre-COVID was outside of dinner hours. I’d say chances are good if it’s being advertised that way.
Clarkcc1 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
I feel like I got hosed ORD-PHX-ORD last week with sandwich/snack box service. Anyone see meal service on this route yet?
Old Jul 21, 2021, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by onthesam
I feel like I got hosed ORD-PHX-ORD last week with sandwich/snack box service. Anyone see meal service on this route yet?
Unfortunately you didn’t get hosed. Meal service is hub to hub >800 miles or if not both hubs, 1500 mi. ORD PHX not long enough.👎

Last edited by tcdtcd; Jul 22, 2021 at 7:37 am
Old Jul 21, 2021, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
Unfortunately you didn’t get hosed. Meal service is hub to hub >800 miles or if not both hubs, 2200 mi/4 hrs. ORD PHX not long enough.👎
The distance threshold is 1,500 miles for non-hub-to-hub flights, which ORD-PHX is under (1,440 miles).
Old Jul 21, 2021, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TastyPlaneEats

“Breakfast” of belgian waffle, fresh fruit, and Greek yogurt. Diabetes - a new amenity courtesy of UA.
Originally Posted by N104UA
What route?
i had the exact same ORD-SFO July 4 77W Polaris seat. The lemon wafer things are quite good btw
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 11:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
Any reports of west coast-east coast redeye meal service since they brought back meal serivce? Pre covid they were always coded Snack but now I'm seeing Dinner. As one who always appreciates a meal on board, AA used to beat UA since they had at least one hot, filling dinner type option in addition to cheese plate lighter fare. Has UA upped its redeye food game or is this a coding error and it is still something super simple like the cheese/turkey calorie bomb?
Premium transcon or standard transcon? For premium transcon, they are serving the same 2 entree setup (chicken or ravioli) + salad + nuts + roll + sorbet. No pre-arrival muffin/scone, unless I slept through the service.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 2:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Premium transcon or standard transcon? For premium transcon, they are serving the same 2 entree setup (chicken or ravioli) + salad + nuts + roll + sorbet. No pre-arrival muffin/scone, unless I slept through the service.
Well that's new! Pre Covid even premium transcon they didn't have hot entree options... (correct me if I am wrong, usually a simple-ish snack plate right?) I used to do SFO-IAD redeyes a good bit and it was rarely even a hot option. Maybe 6 yrs ago they had the burger from coach. Which, while actually I kinda liked, isn't a "dinner" with things like the chicken and orzo that's gotten good reports and looks tasty. Basically I'm saying that if UA has actually gone Dinner with redeyes, thats a big step up from what it was before. I hope so!!
Old Jul 22, 2021, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well that's new! Pre Covid even premium transcon they didn't have hot entree options... (correct me if I am wrong, usually a simple-ish snack plate right?) I used to do SFO-IAD redeyes a good bit and it was rarely even a hot option. Maybe 6 yrs ago they had the burger from coach. Which, while actually I kinda liked, isn't a "dinner" with things like the chicken and orzo that's gotten good reports and looks tasty. Basically I'm saying that if UA has actually gone Dinner with redeyes, thats a big step up from what it was before. I hope so!!
They are serving the same dinner as others are posting above (chicken+orzo or enchiladas) on the non-p.s./premium redeyes. For the p.s. redeyes it is the normal p.s. dinner (nuts, fresh salad, some chicken or pasta, sorbet or ice cream).
Old Jul 22, 2021, 7:10 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
That is correct - it used to be the beef noodle salad (only option) plus Ghirardelli chocolate square, regardless of premium route or not. Randomly they did have a burger (the BOB one, not PMCO melty plastic cheese burger), but I also tried to avoid redeyes as much as possible.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:57 am

I can confirm what others are saying. I used to do SFO-BWI red-eye a lot pre-COVID and just did LAX-BWI (11pm departure) a couple weeks ago and the meal felt more substantial. Instead of snack service (either the calzone or burger for the hot option or a salad with a protein and a chocolate), it was coded as dinner service and had two hot entree choices (chicken orzo or vegetable enchilada) with a cold legume/grain bowl thing, a wrapped dessert and wrapped bread roll.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 9:22 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I have had dinner served on the 12:45 am LAX-IAH flight since meals came back.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Booooo! I was hoping flights ex-SFO would continue to have the Haagen-Dazs vanilla ice cream.
That mango sorbet tastes incredibly cheap
Old Jul 22, 2021, 1:03 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
In light of highly effusive reports about the Pie in the Sky cookie, could someone please post a photo of the actual cookie in cross section? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.