Wiki Posts
Search

PlusPoints upgrade request out of sync

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2020, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
PlusPoints upgrade request out of sync

Hi all - I booked a flight a few months ago and applied PlusPoints upgrade requests on all segments shortly after booking. Due to schedule updates, my return flights were cancelled and I was a rebooked on new flights - new times, new routing, new flight numbers, etc. My original return flight had me going through ORD; now I'm going through IAD. I don't have an issue with the new flights it's just when I look at the reservation online, I notice a few oddities. First, when I look at the reservation, it says "Your upgrade to United First has been requested using a MileagePlus Upgrade award" for the return flight segments. Normally, the waitlist message specifically mentions PlusPoints and the amount of points to be deducted. Second, the return flight segments are listed twice - one for my confirmed seats, and one for my waitlisted upgrades. Third, when I look at a listing of all PlusPoints upgrades, it still shows my original flights (i.e., connecting through ORD) with the following error message: "This reservation is out of sync. Please check your reservation details for the most up-to-date information. You may also need to submit your upgrade request again."

I called the 1K desk twice and the agents confirmed everything is okay, but I'm a bit skeptical. Has anyone had this situation occur and did everything turn out okay?

Last edited by BasedinCLE; Oct 19, 2020 at 7:52 am Reason: Correcting typo
Old Oct 19, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
If you want to make it absolutely sure, you can remove the PlusPoints upgrade request (if no segment has been cleared) and re-apply the PlusPoints to your itinerary.

Good luck.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BasedinCLE
Hi all - I booked a flight a few months ago and applied PlusPoints upgrade requests on all segments shortly after booking. Due to schedule updates, my return flights were cancelled and I was a rebooked on new flights - new times, new routing, new flight numbers, etc. My original return flight had me going through ORD; now I'm going through IAD. I don't have an issue with the new flights it's just when I look at the reservation online, I notice a few oddities. First, when I look at the reservation, it says "Your upgrade to United First has been requested using a MileagePlus Upgrade award" for the return flight segments. Normally, the waitlist message specifically mentions PointsPlus and the amount of points to be deducted. Second, the return flight segments are listed twice - one for my confirmed seats, and one for my waitlisted upgrade. Third, when I look at a listing of all PlusPoints upgrades, it still shows my original flights (i.e., connecting through ORD) with the following error message: "This reservation is out of sync. Please check your reservation details for the most up-to-date information. You may also need to submit your upgrade request again."

I called the 1K desk twice and the agent confirmed everything is okay, but I'm a bit skeptical. Has anyone had this situation occur and did everything turn out okay?
Been in the situation, called 1k desk, assured me that everything was fine, and while she couldn't tell me exactly where I was on the list I was pretty close to but not at the top and had great odds with PP and ok odds with PB.

Cleared into PP, and died at #1 for PB so I think she was right

My concern with removing and reappling a request is you would essentially go to the back of the line, where if you leave the original request your priority is based on the original request date/time
Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
it depends. If there are old segments in the PNR that are showing upgrade waitlisted then that needs fixing. Otherwise just because the upgrade message has changed, that is not a concern. The out of sync message shows up pretty quickly these days; I have it on a flight where the only chance was a 5 min change on a partner segment that does not affect the UA flights where UGs are either waitlisted or confirmed.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
If you want to make it absolutely sure, you can remove the PlusPoints upgrade request (if no segment has been cleared) and re-apply the PlusPoints to your itinerary.

Good luck.
I had to cancel the PlusPoints request on the return flight when I saw PZ space about two weeks ago. On my reservation, I only had the choice of cancellation for the outbound although the outbound was cleared at booking. So, I clicked the cancellation. It did cancel the request for return flight and did not mess up with the outbound.
Cheers!
Old Nov 18, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Kmxu

Good luck.
This.

Happened to me on recent flights and the upgrades were out of whack. Called to be told it was all fine but instead of the verbiage/notation about PlusPoints it said something about Mileage Plus award. The upgrade for the longer leg had happened prior to the out of synch so did not want to change the reservation.

Similar thing on another reservation but did not notice until close to the flight date. Called and was told all looked good and again the MP wording not the PlusPoints wording. No upgrade happened. Think there is a disconnect once the reservation goes out of synch.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Global Services; Bonvoy Ambassador
I have had this problem repeatedly. There has been so much movement with flight schedules through covid - almost every flight ends up "out of sync" at some point. GS tells me everything is fine. But I'm skeptical too. Is there agreement on the "right" answer? If I cancel and re-request, does it put me in the back of the queue?
Old Mar 16, 2021, 1:49 pm

Try this

Originally Posted by mc1263
I have had this problem repeatedly. There has been so much movement with flight schedules through covid - almost every flight ends up "out of sync" at some point. GS tells me everything is fine. But I'm skeptical too. Is there agreement on the "right" answer? If I cancel and re-request, does it put me in the back of the queue?
If you suspect that something is out of whack, just play trick with your phone's date. That is, change the date to your travel date. Then, open United App to check the flight status/upgrade standby list. If the waiting list is short or nonexistent, cancel the upgrade request (assuming that upgrade was not cleared for all segments) and reapply for the plus point request.
Good luck.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I encountered the same issue with the reservations being 'out of synch'. I am booked on FAI-ANC-ORD-CVG in August and applied 20 PP for the ANC-ORD leg but, after a schedule change, I was moved to the nonstop FAI-ORD leg. I am meeting someone in ANC so I switched back to my old routing and, forgetting that I already applied PP, I applied 20 PP again for the new ANC-ORD leg. The result was that I was waitlisted on both FAI-ORD and ANC-ORD and 40 PP were 'requested'. I wasn't able to cancel the upgrade requests on either leg so I spoke with an agent who cancelled them for me and then told me she reapplied 20 PP on ANC-ORD as I wanted.

Strangely after all that, now I see 20 PP gone from my balance and I am no longer 'waitlisted' on the ANC-ORD leg (still in Y and on the UG list because of CPU). When I navigate to 'My Trips' it shows 0 PP deducted. However, when I go to 'Activity'>'PlusPoints upgrade activity' it says "PlusPoints Upgrade Redemption (anc-ord)" with -20 points deducted. Any ideas on what is going on here? Do I need to call again?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MileTrek
I encountered the same issue with the reservations being 'out of synch'. I am booked on FAI-ANC-ORD-CVG in August and applied 20 PP for the ANC-ORD leg but, after a schedule change, I was moved to the nonstop FAI-ORD leg. I am meeting someone in ANC so I switched back to my old routing and, forgetting that I already applied PP, I applied 20 PP again for the new ANC-ORD leg. The result was that I was waitlisted on both FAI-ORD and ANC-ORD and 40 PP were 'requested'. I wasn't able to cancel the upgrade requests on either leg so I spoke with an agent who cancelled them for me and then told me she reapplied 20 PP on ANC-ORD as I wanted.

Strangely after all that, now I see 20 PP gone from my balance and I am no longer 'waitlisted' on the ANC-ORD leg (still in Y and on the UG list because of CPU). When I navigate to 'My Trips' it shows 0 PP deducted. However, when I go to 'Activity'>'PlusPoints upgrade activity' it says "PlusPoints Upgrade Redemption (anc-ord)" with -20 points deducted. Any ideas on what is going on here? Do I need to call again?
call again.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k
This question is related to this topic: I have a flight (IAD-MUC) coming up for which I'm theoretically on the waitlist for an upgrade to Polaris. This is after a schedule change (before the schedule change everything looked fine)
Weirdly, when I pull up the reservation, it doesn't say anything about an upgrade. I can't apply a new pluspoints upgrade though.
The flight does not show up under "pluspoints upgrades" in my trips.
But when I called the agent, she said I'm at place 2 in the waiting list and everything looks fine on her end.
Do I need to be worried?

The date trick to see the upgrade list early doesn't work anymore, right?
Old Nov 18, 2023, 6:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by augias84
... The date trick to see the upgrade list early doesn't work anymore, right?
For the app, no but it is back working on the website
Aussienarelle and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For the app, no but it is back working on the website
I had no idea this was back - thanks for the heads up!
Old Nov 21, 2023, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Ummmmmm... Is it a bad sign if you see this when clicking on the question mark next to "waitlist"?
I checked using the trick mentioned above and I am on that waitlist. Probably the website is just bugging out and it's nothing to worry about, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.