Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rebooking Partner-Issued Awards During Irr/Ops

Rebooking Partner-Issued Awards During Irr/Ops

Old Sep 14, 20, 9:19 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 24,959
Rebooking Partner-Issued Awards During Irr/Ops

I'm so tired of arguing with agents at the airport or on the phone over rebooking partner-issued awards when irr/ops happens.

An example.

Flying PIT-EWR-DUB-ZAG on [last] Saturday, with PIT-EWR-DUB on United and booked in I-Class. Aeroplan issued ticket.

PIT-EWR is cancelled hours before flight.

UA agent in PIT rebooks PIT-ORD-FRA-ZAG in full Y. Refuses to protect in business class, even on the United segments.

"You paid $5.60 for this ticket and it wasn't even issued by us."

1K phone agent also refused to help because there was no I-Class on United segments (that were LESS THAN HALF FULL, but welcome to UA's new inventory management system...)

What a way to tick off a loyal customer who happened to be flying on an Aeroplan ticket.

My question: is there a *S profile someone can cite that addresses how this should be handled?

My understanding of Star Alliance rules is that the carrier that encounters the irr/ops needs to re-protect the customer. But is that in writing anywhere or just an unspoken rule?

Last edited by MatthewLAX; Sep 14, 20 at 10:08 am Reason: Clarified this event occurred last Saturday
MatthewLAX is offline  
Old Sep 14, 20, 9:26 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Posts: 835
I thought that until the flight was within 3 days of departure (or possibly less), rebooking was the responsibility of the issuing entity. Have you tried talking to Aeroplan about getting the flights rebooked?
seenitall is offline  
Old Sep 14, 20, 9:28 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SJC
Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Posts: 865
Stat Alliance sets out the high level guidelines on this. Of course, you likely dealt with a poorly trained agent (and supervisor?) at PIT who didn't care what the rules said.

Reference Guide - Airports Information - Irregular Operations Handling
nerdbirdsjc is offline  
Old Sep 14, 20, 10:07 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 24,959
Originally Posted by seenitall View Post
I thought that until the flight was within 3 days of departure (or possibly less), rebooking was the responsibility of the issuing entity. Have you tried talking to Aeroplan about getting the flights rebooked?
The cancellation happened hours before the flight after check-in.
SPN Lifer and MSPeconomist like this.
MatthewLAX is offline  
Old Sep 14, 20, 12:42 pm
  #5  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 51,757
This is the way partners treat UA issued awards.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Sep 14, 20, 1:01 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 48,068
Originally Posted by seenitall View Post
I thought that until the flight was within 3 days of departure (or possibly less), rebooking was the responsibility of the issuing entity. Have you tried talking to Aeroplan about getting the flights rebooked?
It is the responsibility of the ticketing carrier until the day of travel.
Often1 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 20, 1:23 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 24,959
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
This is the way partners treat UA issued awards.
Yes, you are right. As the owner of an award consulting service, I know this painfully well. But that is neither the issue nor justification for UA’s actions.

I’m just so tired of the run around.

Is there really no specific UA policy on this?

Last edited by MatthewLAX; Sep 14, 20 at 9:39 pm Reason: spelling
MatthewLAX is offline  
Old Sep 14, 20, 2:42 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: LAX
Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 2,577
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
This is the way partners treat UA issued awards.
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
Yes, you are right. As the owner of an award consulting service, I know this painfully well. But that is not neither the issue nor justification for UA’s actions.

I’m just so tired of the run around.

Is there really no specific UA policy on this?
Are we saying that partners have *consistently* rebooked UA-issued I/O class awards into X/Y class in the case of IRROPS? I did not know that was the case--do we have a different thread where people post data points and experiences working with UA or their partners to get manually (and rightfully) rebooked into a premium cabin?

Last edited by dkc192; Sep 14, 20 at 2:53 pm
dkc192 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 20, 3:05 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 25,615
The rules are clear. I would write to UA asking for compensation

Conditions: Involuntary
When an airline undergoes a schedule change or encounters an irregularity in accordance with the general
provisions of IATA Resolution 735D, the Star Alliance member carriers agree to grant airport control
(and thereby waive the endorsement requirement) for the following:
A. non-restricted tickets;
B. restricted tickets;
C. Frequent flyer redemption tickets. After schedule changes, rebookings are made with Star Allliance
carriers according to redemption seat availability.
No endorsement required for any fare types when an airline encounters an irregular operation (within 24
hours of departure).
mrt88 likes this.
cfischer is offline  
Old Sep 14, 20, 3:31 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Tacoma, WA
Programs: UA MileagePlus, Marriott Bonvoy
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
The rules are clear. I would write to UA asking for compensation

Conditions: Involuntary
When an airline undergoes a schedule change or encounters an irregularity in accordance with the general
provisions of IATA Resolution 735D, the Star Alliance member carriers agree to grant airport control
(and thereby waive the endorsement requirement) for the following:
A. non-restricted tickets;
B. restricted tickets;
C. Frequent flyer redemption tickets. After schedule changes, rebookings are made with Star Allliance
carriers according to redemption seat availability.

No endorsement required for any fare types when an airline encounters an irregular operation (within 24
hours of departure).
So does (C) then give the UA the out since there was no I class seat available?
Gabdawg is online now  
Old Sep 14, 20, 3:35 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: LAX
Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 2,577
Originally Posted by Gabdawg View Post
So does (C) then give the UA the out since there was no I class seat available?
It shouldn't. Schedule changes occur weeks or months in advance of a flight. IRROPS happen on the day of travel or the day before.

But I guess (C) does give partners the right to shrug and say "tough luck" if they cause a schedule change and don't have award space on the new desired flights. This is an area that OW handles decently--each airline has alliance liaisons to handle such tricky situations. Not sure if liaisons exist at *A. (FWIW I'm a former AA EXP recently turned UA 1K.)
dkc192 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 20, 5:21 pm
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 44,634
Originally Posted by Gabdawg View Post
So does (C) then give the UA the out since there was no I class seat available?
It does not, because UA refused to rebook on own metal in I.
SPN Lifer and bluedemon211 like this.
Kacee is offline  
Old Sep 14, 20, 9:38 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 24,959
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
The rules are clear. I would write to UA asking for compensation

Conditions: Involuntary
When an airline undergoes a schedule change or encounters an irregularity in accordance with the general
provisions of IATA Resolution 735D, the Star Alliance member carriers agree to grant airport control
(and thereby waive the endorsement requirement) for the following:
A. non-restricted tickets;
B. restricted tickets;
C. Frequent flyer redemption tickets. After schedule changes, rebookings are made with Star Allliance
carriers according to redemption seat availability.
No endorsement required for any fare types when an airline encounters an irregular operation (within 24
hours of departure).
What is your source for this? Sadly, it's nebulous. I can read it both requiring rebooking in same class of service or not requiring booking. Is this the only guideline?

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
It does not, because UA refused to rebook on own metal in I.
Even though there was only JN/ZN space available, the loads were less than 50%. An easy call to IM could have opened up I-class seats if they really wanted to go by the book. No problem booking in full Y, not not having an I-Class seat opened? Ridiculous. And 1K desk was just as pathetic.

My story has a happy ending. Aeroplan rebooked the ticket (with 10 minutes to spare before check-in cutoff) in C and it earned miles. Still, this was not Aeroplan's problem: this was United's problem. Shame on UA for passing the buck.
MatthewLAX is offline  
Old Sep 14, 20, 9:54 pm
  #14  
Moderator: United MileagePlus
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Posts: 8,923
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
My story has a happy ending. Aeroplan rebooked the ticket (with 10 minutes to spare before check-in cutoff) in C and it earned miles. Still, this was not Aeroplan's problem: this was United's problem. Shame on UA for passing the buck.
Glad to hear it worked out. May want to consider a DOT followup: https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escompla...nsumerForm.cfm
J.Edward is offline  
Old Sep 15, 20, 6:55 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 24,959
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
Are we saying that partners have *consistently* rebooked UA-issued I/O class awards into X/Y class in the case of IRROPS? I did not know that was the case--do we have a different thread where people post data points and experiences working with UA or their partners to get manually (and rightfully) rebooked into a premium cabin?
I'd love to see one. In my experience, they look in the "fare" field in their system, see the low fare, then immediately don't want to help. And generally they don't rebook in X, but in Y...just the lazy approach into full Y.
MatthewLAX is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: