FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rebooking Partner-Issued Awards During Irr/Ops
Old Sep 14, 2020, 9:19 am
MatthewLAX
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Rebooking Partner-Issued Awards During Irr/Ops

I'm so tired of arguing with agents at the airport or on the phone over rebooking partner-issued awards when irr/ops happens.

An example.

Flying PIT-EWR-DUB-ZAG on [last] Saturday, with PIT-EWR-DUB on United and booked in I-Class. Aeroplan issued ticket.

PIT-EWR is cancelled hours before flight.

UA agent in PIT rebooks PIT-ORD-FRA-ZAG in full Y. Refuses to protect in business class, even on the United segments.

"You paid $5.60 for this ticket and it wasn't even issued by us."

1K phone agent also refused to help because there was no I-Class on United segments (that were LESS THAN HALF FULL, but welcome to UA's new inventory management system...)

What a way to tick off a loyal customer who happened to be flying on an Aeroplan ticket.

My question: is there a *S profile someone can cite that addresses how this should be handled?

My understanding of Star Alliance rules is that the carrier that encounters the irr/ops needs to re-protect the customer. But is that in writing anywhere or just an unspoken rule?

Last edited by MatthewLAX; Sep 14, 2020 at 10:08 am Reason: Clarified this event occurred last Saturday