Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United business class EWR-SFO, which aircraft?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United business class EWR-SFO, which aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2020, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
prices might go up though once the reduction is in the system. I'd book now and change later.
Originally Posted by ShinyO
I thought about that, but the prices for late Sept are the same as those for the same time in late Oct. So do you think I’m safe to wait for the actual schedule to firm up?
I agree with cfischer's approach. If the fare is acceptable to you now, book now. They may keep it available after the schedule update, but sometimes the reduction in apparent capacity causes prices to jump.

If you would prefer a different flight after the schedule change, it's usually no trouble to call and ask to be moved.
ajGoes and ShinyO like this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
If you would prefer a different flight after the schedule change, it's usually no trouble to call and ask to be moved.
Right. At a minimum, you'd be in no worse shape than you are by waiting.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Makes sense, thanks. I guess I wondered if I booked and then wanted to move, I might have to pay the increase in fare to change the flight (though not flight change fees I gather). But I suppose if they cancel my flight that wouldn't be an issue. It did look like they will mainly drop the 757 flights, judging by the Sept schedule and the sheer number of 757 flights on the Oct schedule.

Originally Posted by jsloan
Right. At a minimum, you'd be in no worse shape than you are by waiting.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Makes sense, thanks. I guess I wondered if I booked and then wanted to move, I might have to pay the increase in fare to change the flight (though not flight change fees I gather).
Right -- if your flight wasn't affected, but you moved to another one anyway, you'd be responsible for any fare difference, but no change fee. But since the fare difference would just be the new price at that time, minus whatever you already paid, you wouldn't be any worse off. And if your flight was affected, they'd move you to a different one at no charge. The only way that booking now could be a mistake would be if prices were to drop, but at $449 one-way for business class, I wouldn't hold my breath.
SPN Lifer and ajGoes like this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cfischer
hard to tell when the UA algorithm will do. I would book now for the 781 and change later as/if needed. UA will keep the 781 I am pretty sure.
Sometimes they downgrade this flight at the last minute to 787-8 but they usually still assign a frame that has been refitted with the new 1x2x1 Polaris configuration
Old Sep 2, 2020, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. Was waiting to confirm surgery details in order to book, but they came today. So I’ll be booking shortly.

Can anyone offer an opinion on what the footwells are like in the 777 and 787?

I was told to get a bulkhead seat on the 757 because the footwells are a good size for my 6-ft-2 husband to recline, but they are very small on non-bulkhead seats.

How does that compare on the 787 or 777?

Also, we’ll be flying economy on the way there (SFO-EWR). Any opinion on best aircraft for that flight in economy?

Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2020, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Thanks all. Was waiting to confirm surgery details in order to book, but they came today. So I’ll be booking shortly.

I was told to get a bulkhead seat on the 757 because the footwells are a good size for my 6-ft-2 husband to recline, but they are very small on non-bulkhead seats.

Also, we’ll be flying economy on the way there (SFO-EWR). Any opinion on best aircraft for that flight in economy?

Thanks!
787 is 3x3x3 in economy; 777 is 3x4x3 so the 757 would be more comfortable in a 3x3 configuration with wider seats
ajGoes and ShinyO like this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There used to be a sticky post that linked to frequent questions, including seat recommendations for type, but I think it got replaced by more relevant COVID topics. Here are the ones for the planes that seem most likely on this route (although I suspect the 28-seat 757 isn't flying right now)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...102e-234e.html
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...0-16-bf-9.html
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (28 lie flat seats)

I believe bulkheads would generally be the best choice in any configuration, but this will give you a chance to go in and get all of the details.

Here's hoping the surgery is successful and uneventful.
ajGoes, bluedemon211 and ShinyO like this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 1:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb

Thanks!
If you are not going to be in the lie flat position, the footwell is somewhat irrelevant, since there will be plenty of legroom in reclined position.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Well we took the 787-10 in the middle seats of row 5. I’ve never travelled in United Polaris seats and thought it was a very nice experience. The seats are very comfortable, the IFE worked very well, I liked the seating and all the storage. Most importantly, it worked for my husband who is 6ft2 and a week out from open heart surgery. He slept comfortably most of the flight. Downsides were the food (my salad was a block of ice) and the narrow aisle access. Also they didn’t have any pillows. I will forgive most things due to Covid. I liked the hard product a lot. Just wanted to leave an update in case someone stumbles on this thread in the future and gets some use out of it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 11:39 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Moved the splinter discussion on pillows for premium transcon flights to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...periences.html

Since the OPs trip is over, will close this thread and refer others to existing premium transcon threads

The above, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...periences.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...t-flights.html
2020 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service
Amenity Kits in Premium Transcon Business during COVID?

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 3, 2020 at 11:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.