Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:29 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 23, 15, 6:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold

An era will/has ended on 25 Oct 2015 when p.s. Premium Service to SFO/LAX moves from JFK to EWR. So it is time to open a new thread on questions, experiences of EWR PS flights including the announced catering changes and the use of two PS aircraft configurations.

A couple of ground rules
- The existing http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ce-2015-a.html which covered the JFK flights will eventually be closed, once those flying the few remaining flights have had their chance to post. But for now JFK related flights should continue to be posted in the older thread.
- The always lively http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...25-2015-a.html will remain open for continued debates on why this change and whether it is a good idea. (Note this is another way of saying this topic area will be OT for this new thread -- let's keep the experiences and questions thread separate from the opinion/discussion thread on the change.)

Thanks
UA Moderation Team

Last edited by goalie; Oct 24, 15 at 8:35 pm Reason: more links/fixed typo
Old Oct 24, 15, 7:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Pre-2017 posts have been archived in
Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 6, 19 at 9:43 pm Reason: note
Old Jan 13, 17, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Platinum Elite; Hertz PC
First time flying p.s. since the Polaris launch...the amenity kit is now a mini-blue square kit...kind of looks like a CD case.

The menu now just says 'warm cookie' instead of 'signature triple chocolate chip' cookie. Wonder if it might be a different flavor?
Old Jan 13, 17, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
The cookies are apparently no longer baked on board. Just reheated now?
Old Jan 14, 17, 7:37 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
This - I received a hot chicken sandwich on my last PDX-EWR redeye

Originally Posted by rch4u View Post
Not true. Full transcon redeyes get the warm snack as well.
Old Jan 14, 17, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rch4u View Post
The cookies are apparently no longer baked on board. Just reheated now?
Everyone keeps saying that, but I've seen them baking them within the past month. Maybe they are "half baked" and then continue baking the dough on plane. Either way, I enjoy them.
Old Jan 14, 17, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nycflyer222 View Post
Everyone keeps saying that, but I've seen them baking them within the past month. Maybe they are "half baked" and then continue baking the dough on plane. Either way, I enjoy them.
My 2.25 yr old nephew on his first flights this week. Excited at: Taking off? No. Landing? No. Big chocolate chip cookie? YES.

I didn't notice but I never thought that they were baked from 100% raw dough on board, I always figured it was some half-baked thing to get them soft/warm and to waft the smell through the cabin.
Old Jan 14, 17, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
First time flying p.s. since the Polaris launch...the amenity kit is now a mini-blue square kit...kind of looks like a CD case.

The menu now just says 'warm cookie' instead of 'signature triple chocolate chip' cookie. Wonder if it might be a different flavor?
Cookie I had last night was definitely the same as mainline has been serving all last year.

Last edited by findark; Jan 14, 17 at 4:57 pm
Old Jan 14, 17, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Platinum Elite; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Cookie I had last night was definitely the same as mainline as been serving all last year.
I slept through it so don't know. Will try to stay awake for the return on Monday
Old Jan 15, 17, 10:57 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Cookie I had last week was the same it's been since I've been flying PS the past year or so
Old Jan 25, 17, 7:35 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier 1K
United ps SFO-EWR questions from newbie

Hello all,

A first time Premier 1K member here with some, hopefully, basic questions here. I searched the forum using the internal Search functionality as well as google and didn't find answers to my specific questions so I apologize if it was mentioned before, I must have missed it.

I have an upcoming one way travel with the ps segment SFO-EWR and I have two questions.

1) Which day/time combination will give me best chance for upgrade to business class? I can choose between Sunday (8:50pm, 9:50pm, or 10:45pm departure), or Monday (9:50pm or 10:45pm departure).

2) Should I try using the RPU, or that's a risky game and it's better to just buy up to business? If the latter, is it better to do it through the website/app ahead of time or wait until gate and do it there? How much does it cost to upgrade with cash?

Thanks in advance for all the answers or pointing me to the right place on this forum where I can find them!

Have a great day!
Old Jan 25, 17, 7:58 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Choose the plane, not the time. The ones with 28 or greater business class seats offer a greater chance to get upgraded than 16.

If you have RPU's, unless you have other reasons to use it, go ahead and apply it. Cash upgrade is offered via online check-in.
Old Jan 25, 17, 8:04 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by monczao View Post
Hello all,

A first time Premier 1K member here with some, hopefully, basic questions here. I searched the forum using the internal Search functionality as well as google and didn't find answers to my specific questions so I apologize if it was mentioned before, I must have missed it.

I have an upcoming one way travel with the ps segment SFO-EWR and I have two questions.

1) Which day/time combination will give me best chance for upgrade to business class? I can choose between Sunday (8:50pm, 9:50pm, or 10:45pm departure), or Monday (9:50pm or 10:45pm departure).

2) Should I try using the RPU, or that's a risky game and it's better to just buy up to business? If the latter, is it better to do it through the website/app ahead of time or wait until gate and do it there? How much does it cost to upgrade with cash?

Thanks in advance for all the answers or pointing me to the right place on this forum where I can find them!

Have a great day!
1) Sunday redeyes are tough, IMO, as there are a lot of commuters headed to the East Coast to start the business week Monday AM, and the obvious preference is for a flat bed. Anecdotally, Mondays are better, and instead of particular departure times, I usually look to flights operated by 28J 75K ships if I'm trying for an RPU (777s too, but they rarely make it to redeyes unless an equipment sub).

2) Cash buy-ups vary in price. If I'm paying out of my own pocket, I don't think it's worth more than the advance purchase one way P fares, which are in the ~$650 range these days. If fare paid + buy-up offer brings me into that ballpark, I'll at least consider it, if I don't buy it outright in the first place. Keep in mind that buy-up offers immediately after purchase and at check-in often won't result in a reissue, so your PQD may not reflect how much you actually paid, and offers at check-in sometimes will not earn 2x PQM (book into ZN crediting at underlying fare basis for PQM). So, caveat emptor.
Old Jan 27, 17, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA: 1k, Marriott / Bonvoy: Platinum
Originally Posted by monczao View Post
Hello all,

Have a great day!
ps flights aren't CPU eligible, and are the biz seats on red eyes I've been on are usually sold out a week or so in advance :/
I would try to buy up in advance. I usually check out the upgrade list (for folks using instruments), and they rarely clear.
Old Jan 28, 17, 2:05 am

The one thing that United does right is those gosh durn cookies they bake in first. SO GOOD! Does anyone know which brand? Otis Spunkmeyer?

Search this Thread