Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s. Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom theyll also receive a complimentary hot entre, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines New Transcontinental Service
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

So first year being 1K and not used to using PlusPoints. I am traveling EWR-SFO and am waitlisted for upgrades to both Business and PP. There are less people on the Business upgrade list that there are open seats. Do I cancel my waitlist and save the points - will I then upgrade via CPU - or am I safer keeping as is. Is my spot on the CPU based on being waitlisted or is it only a function of my status. Looking good so far for both legs but don't want to spend the points unnecessarily.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by kdad
So first year being 1K and not used to using PlusPoints. I am traveling EWR-SFO and am waitlisted for upgrades to both Business and PP. There are less people on the Business upgrade list that there are open seats. Do I cancel my waitlist and save the points - will I then upgrade via CPU - or am I safer keeping as is. Is my spot on the CPU based on being waitlisted or is it only a function of my status. Looking good so far for both legs but don't want to spend the points unnecessarily.
There are no CPUs on EWR-SFO or any of the other t.p.s. routes. Use your PlusPoints and hope.

David
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA
EWR-SFO is a premium route. No CPUs.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l#region-chart
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The "best" strategy nowadays is to apply plus points to pretty much any flight where you would particularly value being up front. For me that is pretty much any flight over 2 hours.
cczzll likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Familiar with route and usually that is not the case that more seats in J than people on the waitlist so I would almost be inclined to pull the PPs. Having said that I always apply them on that flight and even doing so I am less than 50% successful with upgrades. If you pull the PP you fall on the upgrade list below anybody using instruments but if I understand you correctly J seems wide open so that may not be a big deal. Given that yes you would then be eligible for a CPU. You position on the list is related to your status AND also whether you are using instruments for upgrade. There are other less important factors that also modify your position on the list such as time of booking.

EDIT: My bad per Repoc this is still a Premium Service route so yeah no CPUs, only instrument assisted ones. SFO-BOS is no longer a PS route. Thanks

Last edited by nomad420; Jan 26, 2022 at 3:23 pm
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
Familiar with route and usually that is not the case that more seats in J than people on the waitlist so I would almost be inclined to pull the PPs. Having said that I always apply them on that flight and even doing so I am less than 50% successful with upgrades. If you pull the PP you fall on the upgrade list below anybody using instruments but if I understand you correctly J seems wide open so that may not be a big deal. Given that yes you would then be eligible for a CPU. You position on the list is related to your status AND also whether you are using instruments for upgrade. There are other less important factors that also modify your position on the list such as time of booking.
Removal of PP from EWR to/from SFO/LAX would also remove eligibility for any kind of upgrade.

Personally, I only waitlist for business class and skip PE.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. The Premium Service no CPU explains why I was upgraded from SFO-HNL but not EWR-SFO in November!
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 5:23 pm

Eyeing EWR-LAX for this spring. As a newly minted Silver member, would I be eligible to select a PP seat at check-in after booking economy? If so, is there a realistic chance of 2 PP seats still being open at that point?

Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2022, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
No. You will be eligible for an Economy Plus seat at check in. Premium Plus seats and the lie flat seats are for mileage upgrades, cash upgrades, or Plus Points only. No member gets them for nothing,
cczzll likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Micp3208
No. You will be eligible for an Economy Plus seat at check in. Premium Plus seats and the lie flat seats are for mileage upgrades, cash upgrades, or Plus Points only. No member gets them for nothing,
Thank you for the quick response! Makes sense. I will book the seats I want.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Fewer widebodies on NYC SFO transcon route?

Hi. Is there a thread discussing the disappearance of widebodies (767, 777, 787) this Fall from the NYC SFO transcon route?

I used to read this forum religiously. My wife lives in our house in California, and I teach in New York City. I stopped flying for an academic sabbatical, then there was this pandemic. Returning to my every two (now three) week commute between New York City and San Francisco, I wanted an isolated bed for safety and comfort. I finally heeded all the advice here "If you want business, buy it" and shopped on price. The options have been United or Delta widebodies, or the "1" in a JetBlue Mint cabin (awful or best of class, depending on vintage of the equipment). United has usually been winning on price, $595 or so each way, 535 PGP, and a light bulb went off that it wouldn't be out of reach for me to return to 1K status.

This is personal funds on a professor salary, in between the masses and people who actually make money. I should retire, but if I spend a fraction of my salary on comfortable travel so I can claim another year's salary, why not. I love my students. I noticed that after my $595 return this coming September, each bed is at best $1,096 for a "2" on a 757. Huh. There goes isolation, though one hopes the pandemic is over. That would surely make me 1K, but now we're talking about the kind of money that can buy an incredible hotel room in Japan or Singapore. I may be 66, but I still have it in me to sit in coach if I must.

What alarms me is that I'd always imagined my fallback position to be Premium Economy. With most of the widebodies gone this fall, that's no longer an option. Does United not realize there's a market willing to buy Premium Economy on transcons?

Last edited by Syzygies; Mar 4, 2022 at 6:34 pm
Old Mar 4, 2022, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Syzygies
This is personal funds on a professor salary, in between the masses and people who actually make money. I should retire, but if I spend a fraction of my salary on comfortable travel so I can claim another year's salary, why not. I love my students. I noticed that after my $595 return this coming September, each bed is at best $1,096 for a "2" on a 757. Huh. There goes isolation, though one hopes the pandemic is over. That would surely make me 1K, but now we're talking about the kind of money that can buy an incredible hotel room in Japan or Singapore. I may be 66, but I still have it in me to sit in coach if I must.

What alarms me is that I'd always imagined my fallback position to be Premium Economy. With most of the widebodies gone this fall, that's no longer an option. Does United not realize there's a market willing to buy Premium Economy on transcons?
There's still dates with flights for $590 past September. There's just fewer of them because of fewer flights with P bucket inventory open right now in October (leaving you with $1096 Z fares). October is pretty far out and they will likely open up P bucket inventory on more flights as dates get closer. You can configure fare alerts in Google Flights that will alert you if inventory opens up in P making $590 fare available.

artvandalay likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 4, 2022 at 8:17 pm
Old Mar 4, 2022, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Hi. Is there a thread discussing the disappearance of widebodies (767, 777, 787) this Fall from the NYC SFO transcon route?
The Fall schedule is nothing more than a placeholder. Several weeks ago, there was nothing but 752s and maybe 1-2 widebodies with PE in May/June only to be replaced with the typical assortment of 77W/767/etc. after more recent schedule update.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by econ
The Fall schedule is nothing more than a placeholder. Several weeks ago, there was nothing but 752s and maybe 1-2 widebodies with PE in May/June only to be replaced with the typical assortment of 77W/767/etc. after more recent schedule update.
Think the OP is talking about JFK to/from SFO. I fly in an out of JFK quite a bit, and I don't see widebodies being added back on the schedule anytime soon.

OP, lack of P fares are due to two main factors: 1) smaller seat count, with only 16 seats up front, United believes it can sell most of them by offering only a few P fares; 2) fall schedules are placeholder for now, so revenue management may not have added discounted fares (e.g. P) yet.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I noticed that after my $595 return this coming September, each bed is at best $1,096 for a "2" on a 757.
More than six months out, fares are meaningless. UA has absolutely no reason to discount right now.
ContinentalFan and Repooc17 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.