Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What do you think of the recent UA changes in Changes fees?
Good idea: No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual AND No Standby fee/Free SDC all elites
64.35%
Good idea: No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual but NOT No Standby fee/Free SDC all elite
10.87%
Good idea: No Standby fee/Free SDC all elite but NOT No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual
7.83%
Neutral /don’t care about either
13.04%
Don’t like / think either is a good idea
3.91%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 30, 2020, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Latest Update: 23 December 2021:

"Change fees are gone" (change fee waiver): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/notices.html#changefeesaregone
We've permanently gotten rid of change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. There also won't be change fees for other international travel originating in the U.S. Learn more

For all other standard Economy and premium cabin tickets, change fees are waived through January 31, 2022. Basic Economy tickets can only be changed if they’re issued by December 31, 2021, for travel commencing by December 31, 2021. See terms and conditions
(change fee waiver) Terms and Conditions: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/notices.html#ChangeFeeTerms

Tickets: Applies to standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and January 31, 2022, and Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021.

Changes/Cancellations: Customers with Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, or standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and January 31, 2022, will be permitted to change without paying a change fee. If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no change fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and standard fare tickets may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit. If you purchased your ticket from a third-party agency, please check with the issuing agency for the rules of your ticket. Contract fares such as special bulk fares sold by travel agencies (e.g., opaque) may not be eligible for free changes. Any changes or cancellations must occur prior to ticketed travel date.

Please note: As of August 30, 2020, we no longer have change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. We also no longer have change fees for international travel originating in the U.S. For more information visit united.com/changefee.

Fare validity: This applies to all standard fare tickets issued through January 31, 2022, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016. It also applies to Basic Economy fare tickets issued through April 30, 2021 or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points of sale, provided the ticket number starts with 016.

Miscellaneous: Fares, fees, rules and offers are subject to change without notice. Seats are capacity-controlled and may not be available on all flights or days. Some fares are nonrefundable except during the first 24 hours after purchase. Other restrictions may apply.

New fine print (1 April 2021)
  • You can change Basic Economy tickets without change fees if the ticket is issued by April 30, 2021,
  • and all other international travel without change fees if the ticket is issued by May 31, 2021.
  • If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit.
Updated 30 Sept 2021
Tickets: Applies to standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and December 31, 2021, and Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021.

Changes/Cancellations: Customers with Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, or standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and December 31, 2021, will be permitted to change without paying a change fee. If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no change fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and standard fare tickets may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit. If you purchased your ticket from a third-party agency, please check with the issuing agency for the rules of your ticket. Contract fares such as special bulk fares sold by travel agencies (e.g., opaque) may not be eligible for free changes. Any changes or cancellations must occur prior to ticketed travel date.

Please note: As of August 30, 2020, we no longer have change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. We also no longer have change fees for international travel originating in the U.S. For more information visit united.com/changefee.

Fare validity: This applies to all standard fare tickets issued through December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016. It also applies to Basic Economy fare tickets issued through April 30, 2021 or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points of sale, provided the ticket number starts with 016.

Miscellaneous: Fares, fees, rules and offers are subject to change without notice. Seats are capacity-controlled and may not be available on all flights or days. Some fares are nonrefundable except during the first 24 hours after purchase. Other restrictions may apply.

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
I just went through the process on a post-April 1st itinerary and was issued the new FFC vs ETCs. The agent tried to explain the new FFCs in detail:

The Bad:
1. No more ETC
2. No transferability
3. No combinability
4. Given there is no combinability, there is no more date-pushing (meaning new expiration date is most favorable of combined cert dates)

The Good:
5. Can use multiple towards a single itinerary (up to 10 she said)
6. Can pull from multiple accounts (3 from yours, 3 from spouse), so you don't have to split the locator to use from multiple accounts
7. Can be used on partner itineraries as long as one segment is UA
8. The FFCs show up in the account of the recipient and the booker. So I can see my spouse's FFCs if I booked the itenerary
9. FFCs now show up as a payment method in the app booking flow. For multi-passenger FFCs, both passengers show up!

I can live with all this, in exchange for no change fees, and reclaiming residual!
The fine-print on the change rules:
  1. If the new ticket costs less, the residual value from the old ticket is lost
  2. Multiple cancelled reservations cannot be combined to pay for a more expensive ticket
  3. Strictly U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean only (excludes Canada) and excludes Basic Economy and International flights
    1. Worldwide until Dec 31, 2020
United Airlines Permanently Eliminates Change Fees
Applies to all Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S.;
Airline also announces complimentary standby travel, becomes only U.S. airline that will let all customers in all classes of service fly same-day standby for free
With these new options, United gives more flexibility than any other U.S. carrier when customers' travel plans change
Video(1) Photos(1)

CHICAGO, Aug. 30, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The only thing constant is change and at United Airlines, some of the fees associated with changes related to flying are gone for good. The carrier announced today that it is permanently getting rid of change fees on all standard Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S., effective immediately. And starting on January 1, 2021, any United customer can fly standby for free on a flight departing the day of their travel regardless of the type of ticket or class of service, a first among U.S. carriers, while MileagePlus Premier members can confirm a seat on a different flight on the same day with the same departure and arrival cities as their original ticket if a seat in the same ticket fare class is available.

United is also extending its waiver for new tickets issued through December 31, 2020, to permit unlimited changes with no fee. This policy applies to all ticket types issued after March 3, 2020 and is valid for domestic and international travel. With these improvements, no U.S. airline gives their customers more flexibility when booking – and changing – their travel plans than United Airlines.

"Change is inevitable these days – but it's how we respond to it that matters most. When we hear from customers about where we can improve, getting rid of this fee is often the top request," said Scott Kirby, CEO of United Airlines, in a video message to customers. "Following previous tough times, airlines made difficult decisions to survive, sometimes at the expense of customer service. United Airlines won't be following that same playbook as we come out of this crisis. Instead, we're taking a completely different approach – and looking at new ways to serve our customers better."

The new change fee policy applies to all standard Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S. 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands and customers will not be limited in the number of times they adjust their flights.

Additionally, United is giving customers more flexibility to change their flights on the day of their travel so they can head home if a meeting ends earlier or enjoy a few more hours on vacation. With the ability to list for same-day standby for free, customers will now have an option to take a different flight with the same origin and destination airports as their original itinerary if space is available at departure. This enhanced option will be available to all customers for travel within the U.S. and to and from international destinations beginning on January 1, 2021. Customers who want to switch flights will be able to add themselves to the standby list through United's award-winning mobile app, on united.com or at the airport no later than 30 minutes prior to departure for domestic flights and one hour before departure on international flights.

The carrier is also improving the travel experience for its MileagePlus members including waiving all redeposit fees on award travel for flights changed or cancelled more than 30 days before departure and allowing all MileagePlus Premier members to confirm a different flight on the day of their travel. As a way to thank MileagePlus Premier members for their loyalty, beginning January 1, 2021, all Premier members will be able to confirm a seat for free on a different flight with the same departure and arrival cities as their original ticket. This expanded option will allow MileagePlus Silver members and above to confirm a new seat in the same ticket fare class if space is available. Earlier this year, United announced that it will extend status for MileagePlus Premier and Global Services members through January 2022. United also reduced thresholds for Premier qualification by 50 percent for each status level, to make reaching an even higher status tier easier.

For more information on United's new flexible travel policies, visit https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html.

Related Threads
AA Eliminates Many Change Fees, Other Benefits 31 Aug 2020
Delta to Eliminate Change Fees on Domestic Tickets [Consolidated Thread]
Alaska Eliminates Change Fees (9/1/2020)

UA will extend BE/International change fee waiver (In response to AA?)
Print Wikipost

Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2021, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Ok, so I’m trying to navigate the current FFC rules. I bought a non-refundable business class TATL ticket (which includes an Aer Lingus UK segment) a week ago. I checked the price today and it’s pricing about $4K lower for the same itinerary (D vs C became available). I called UA about canceling for FFC and rebooking at the lower price and was told not an option, and I would forfeit any residual value. And even for any new booking, no residual value would apply for that booking because of the original fare rules. Is this correct? It seems counter to “You’ll receive future flight credit if you cancel a flight or change to a less expensive flight” on UA’s Travel Credit page so would like some clarification. And yes, I’d like the lower ticket price.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Does this originate in the USA? or Europe?

Really does not matter because the non-USA waiver was extended to issue by 31 July 2021. So if purchase from UA
standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and July 31, 2021, will be permitted to change without paying a change fee. If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no change fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and standard fare tickets may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit.
So, HUCA
Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Does this originate in the USA? or Europe?

Really does not matter because the non-USA waiver was extended to issue by 31 July 2021. So if purchase from UA

So, HUCA
Originates in the US, back to the US as an open jaw bought on united.com. I did HUCA and the second agent said “fare ruies did not allow residual value”. This is news to me. I did see this though: “If your new flight costs less, you may receive a future flight credit for the fare difference if the fare rules allow” on https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html. So this is pretty confusing. There’s nothing noted on the receipt except the usual NONREF/0VALUAFTDPT. All the messages during the cancellation process suggest residuals would apply.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djmp
Originates in the US, back to the US as an open jaw bought on united.com. I did HUCA and the second agent said “fare ruies did not allow residual value”. This is news to me. I did see this though: “If your new flight costs less, you may receive a future flight credit for the fare difference if the fare rules allow” on https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html. So this is pretty confusing. There’s nothing noted on the receipt except the usual NONREF/0VALUAFTDPT. All the messages during the cancellation process suggest residuals would apply.
UA never changed their fare rules back to allow residual values again. They just put a blanket statement onto their website that supposedly overrides the rule.

The first time I tried to change a ticket under this new policy, it failed to generate a residual credit. I wrote in, to insist upon credit, only to get a response that they'd actually refunded the fare difference instead (!). (It was a non-refundable fare). That was, in fact, what had happened, but there was no indication of that during the process at all.

I'd be tempted to try executing a flight change (to a different itinerary; you can't change to the flight you're already on) and see if it indicates that it's going to issue residual credit. On the confirmation screen, just prior to accepting the change, it should show you something like "old fare, new fare, difference (future flight credit)." If you see that, you can be reasonably confident that cancelling and then rebooking the flight you want would generate a residual certificate.

It's extremely frustrating that UA has built their system in such a complicated manner.

BTW, if you'd like to post an itinerary (cities and dates), or the fare rules, we can take a look and see if UA is even giving you correct information about the fare rules. I'm shocked that there was a non-refundable C fare in the first place.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
UA never changed their fare rules back to allow residual values again. They just put a blanket statement onto their website that supposedly overrides the rule.

The first time I tried to change a ticket under this new policy, it failed to generate a residual credit. I wrote in, to insist upon credit, only to get a response that they'd actually refunded the fare difference instead (!). (It was a non-refundable fare). That was, in fact, what had happened, but there was no indication of that during the process at all.

I'd be tempted to try executing a flight change (to a different itinerary; you can't change to the flight you're already on) and see if it indicates that it's going to issue residual credit. On the confirmation screen, just prior to accepting the change, it should show you something like "old fare, new fare, difference (future flight credit)." If you see that, you can be reasonably confident that cancelling and then rebooking the flight you want would generate a residual certificate.

It's extremely frustrating that UA has built their system in such a complicated manner.

BTW, if you'd like to post an itinerary (cities and dates), or the fare rules, we can take a look and see if UA is even giving you correct information about the fare rules. I'm shocked that there was a non-refundable C fare in the first place.
5/31 purchase
Outbound is PQA46SNC
Return is CNA40EFF

For the outbound voluntary changes are:

GENERAL RULES TEXT

*** TEMPORARY EMERGENCY OVERRIDE VOL CHANGES RULES ***
ORIGINATING AREA 1 -
FOR TICKETING ON/AFTER 01MAY 19 AND ON/BEFORE 02MAR 20/
FOR TRAVEL ON/AFTER 15JAN 20
IF TRAVEL ON THIS FARE COMPONENT COMMENCES BY MIDNIGHT
ON 31MAR 22
IN THE EVENT OF CHANGES TO TICKETED FLIGHTS
BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY
CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE
OVERRIDDEN BY THOSE OF UA INTERNATIONAL FARES
NO CHARGE FOR REISSUE OR HIGHEST FEE OF ALL
CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS - CATEGORY 19 DISCOUNTS
APPLY AND
REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT TODAY
PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE
MET-
1. AC/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA ANY FARE TYPE EXCEPT EOU/
ERU ARE USED
2. PUBLIC FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED FARE IS IN
PUBLIC TARIFF. PRIVATE FARES ARE USED IF
TICKETED FARE IS IN PRIVATE TARIFF
3. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM REISSUE DATE TO
DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT
WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN LOWER FARE REFUND RESIDUAL
THEN ADD-COLLECT - REFUND VIA EMD
ENDORSEMENT BOX- HIGHER NON-REF AMT AND NEW
ENDORSEMENTS.
OR -
CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS - CATEGORY 19
DISCOUNTS APPLY AND
REPRICE USING CURRENTLY TKTD FARE
PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS
ARE MET-
1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FLIGHT COUPON/FARE
BREAKS
2. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW
TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC
3. AC/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA ANY FARE TYPE EXCEPT
EOU/ERU SAME FARE CLASS GOVERNED BY SAME
RULE ARE USED
4. PUBLIC FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED FARE
IS IN PUBLIC TARIFF. PRIVATE FARES ARE
USED IF TICKETED FARE IS IN PRIVATE TARIFF
5. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS
ARE MET EXCEPT ADV RES-TKTG
6. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT
DATE TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT
WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN LOWER FARE IGNORE
RESIDUAL THEN ADD-COLLECT - REFUND VIA EMD
ENDORSEMENTS.
OR -
DISCOUNTS APPLY AND
REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS
ISSUED
ARE MET-
1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FLIGHT COUPON
TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC
3. AC/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA P- FARE FAMILY AND
ANY FARE TYPE EXCEPT EOU/ERU ARE USED
ARE MET
OR -
ISSUED
ARE MET-
TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC
EOU/ERU ARE USED
5. NEW TKT HAS EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN
PREVIOUS TKT
6. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS
ARE MET
7. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT
OR -
ISSUED
ARE MET-
TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC
3. ANY CARRIER NORMAL FARES WITH ANY FARE
TYPE EXCEPT EOU/ERU ARE USED
PREVIOUS TKT
ARE MET
ENDORSEMENTS.
OR -
AFTER DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY
DISCOUNTS APPLY AND
ARE MET-
BREAKS
TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC
3. FULLY FLOWN FARE NOT REPRICED TO
FURTHER POINT
4. AC/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA ANY FARE TYPE EXCEPT
RULE ARE USED
5. PUBLIC FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED FARE
ENDORSEMENTS.
OR -
DISCOUNTS APPLY AND
ISSUED
ARE MET-
2. SAME FARE ON 1ST FARE COMPONENT IS USED
3. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW
TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC
4. FULLY FLOWN FARE NOT REPRICED TO
FURTHER POINT
5. AC/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA P- FARE FAMILY AND
6. PUBLIC FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED FARE
7. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS
ARE MET
8. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT
OR -
ISSUED
ARE MET-
TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC
FURTHER POINT
EOU/ERU ARE USED
6. NEW TKT HAS EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN
PREVIOUS TKT
ARE MET
OR -
ISSUED
ARE MET-
TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC
FURTHER POINT
4. ANY CARRIER NORMAL FARES WITH ANY FARE
PREVIOUS TKT
ARE MET
ENDORSEMENTS.
ORIGINATING AREA 1 -
FOR TICKETING ON/AFTER 03MAR 20 AND ON/BEFORE 31MAR 21/
FOR TRAVEL ON/AFTER 03MAR 20
IF TRAVEL ON THIS FARE COMPONENT COMMENCES BY MIDNIGHT
ON 31MAR 22
APPLY AND
MET-
ERU ARE USED
WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN LOWER FARE IGNORE RESIDUAL
ENDORSEMENTS.
OR -
DISCOUNTS APPLY AND
ARE MET-
BREAKS
TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC
RULE ARE USED
ENDORSEMENTS.
OR -
DISCOUNTS APPLY AND
ISSUED
ARE MET-
TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC
3. AC/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA P- FARE FAMILY AND
ARE MET
OR -
ISSUED
ARE MET-
TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC
EOU/ERU ARE USED
PREVIOUS TKT
ARE MET
OR -
ISSUED
ARE MET-
TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC
3. ANY CARRIER NORMAL FARES WITH ANY FARE
PREVIOUS TKT
ARE MET
ENDORSEMENTS.
OR -
DISCOUNTS APPLY AND
ARE MET-
BREAKS
TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC
FURTHER POINT
RULE ARE USED
ENDORSEMENTS.
OR -
DISCOUNTS APPLY AND
ISSUED
ARE MET-
2. SAME FARE ON 1ST FARE COMPONENT IS USED
3. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW
TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC
4. FULLY FLOWN FARE NOT REPRICED TO
FURTHER POINT
5. AC/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA P- FARE FAMILY AND
6. PUBLIC FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED FARE
ARE MET
OR -
ISSUED
ARE MET-
TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC
FURTHER POINT
EOU/ERU ARE USED
PREVIOUS TKT
ARE MET
OR -
ISSUED
ARE MET-
TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC
FURTHER POINT
4. ANY CARRIER NORMAL FARES WITH ANY FARE
PREVIOUS TKT
ARE MET
ENDORSEMENTS.
FARE RULES TEXT
*** ORIGINAL VOL CHANGES RULES ***
BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY - APPLIES WITHIN TKT VALIDITY
CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE OVERRIDDEN BY
THOSE OF UA INTERNATIONAL FARES
NO CHARGE OR HIGHEST FEE OF ALL CHANGED FARE
COMPONENTS- CATEGORY 19 DISCOUNTS APPLY AND
PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET-
1. AC/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA ANY FARE TYPE EXCEPT EOU/ERU ARE
USED
PUBLIC TARIFF. PRIVATE FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED
FARE IS IN PRIVATE TARIFF
3. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM REISSUE DATE TO DEPARTURE
OF PRICING UNIT
WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN LOWER FARE IGNORE RESIDUAL THEN
ADD-COLLECT - REFUND VIA EMD
ENDORSEMENT BOX- HIGHER NON-REF AMT AND NEW ENDORSEMENTS.
OR -
ONLY REPRICE USING CURRENTLY TKTD FARE IF RESULTS IN
VALID SOLUTION
1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FLIGHT COUPON/FARE BREAKS
2. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL MUST
BE DOMESTIC
3. AC/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA FARES ARE USED
4. PUBLIC FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED FARE IS IN
5. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET
EXCEPT ADV RES-TKTG
6. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO
OR -
REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED
BE DOMESTIC
3. AC/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA ANY FARE TYPE EXCEPT EOU/ERU ARE
USED
5. NEW TKT HAS EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN PREVIOUS
TKT
6. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET
7. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO
OR -
BE DOMESTIC
3. ANY CARRIER NORMAL FARES WITH ANY FARE TYPE EXCEPT
EOU/ERU ARE USED
5. NEW TKT HAS EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN PREVIOUS
TKT
OR -
AFTER DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY - APPLIES WITHIN TKT VALIDITY
ONLY REPRICE USING CURRENTLY TKTD FARE IF RESULTS IN
VALID SOLUTION
1. NO CHANGE TO FARE BREAKS
BE DOMESTIC
3. FULLY FLOWN FARE NOT REPRICED TO FURTHER POINT
4. AC/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA FARES ARE USED
5. PUBLIC FARES ARE USED IF TICKETED FARE IS IN
EXCEPT ADV RES-TKTG
OR -
AFTER DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY - APPLIES WITHIN TKT VALIDITY
BE DOMESTIC
4. AC/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA ANY FARE TYPE EXCEPT EOU/ERU ARE
USED
6. NEW TKT HAS EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN PREVIOUS
TKT
7. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET
8. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO
OR -
BE DOMESTIC
4. ANY CARRIER NORMAL FARES WITH ANY FARE TYPE EXCEPT
EOU/ERU ARE USED
6. NEW TKT HAS EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE THAN PREVIOUS
TKT
7. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET
8. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO

For CNA40EFF UA isn’t showing the rules for some reason.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

5/31 purchase
Outbound is PQA46SNC
Return is CNA40EFF

For the outbound voluntary changes are:

For CNA40EFF UA isn’t showing the rules for some reason.
Ah, that makes more sense. The return flight is likely refundable but the outbound flight, a P fare, is not, and the most restrictive rules apply.

FWIW, the first rule in that list does allow for residuals to be refunded, provided that you still meet the advance purchase requirement (and the fare type for your new ticket isn't EOU/ERU, which is basic economy, and therefore not an issue).

So, between the special rules that UA has put onto its site that specifically say you can keep a residual, and this fare rule that says you can keep a residual, I suspect that you will eventually be able to do so. Unfortunately, UA appears to be going out of their way to make that difficult -- likely because renegotiating the price of an existing trip is exactly what they were trying to avoid when they instituted the no-residuals rule in the first place).

That said, since the purchase was within the last 30 days, you can also try calling and asking for a reprice on that basis. Pre-COVID, UA used to do that as a regular thing, less a $50 administrative fee. I don't know whether or not they'd still try to charge the $50 in a no-change-fee world, but it's worth asking about.

Sorry about the hassle.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 12:14 pm

FFCs not showing up in app

I cancelled an economy fare (booked 4/23) for a 6/26 one way flight. The system issued me an FFC
(new ones I presume) but when I try to use them in the app (both android and ios) to re-book the
same flight (fare drop scenario) it says, FFC can't be found.

The FFC shows up in the website but won't apply for re-booking the same flight (call 1800 message).
1) Has united barred the cancel and re-book the same flight option ?
2) Any reason FFC does not show up in the app. Would prefer app due to youth discount.

Thoughts ?
Old Jun 5, 2021, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lanb
I cancelled an economy fare (booked 4/23) for a 6/26 one way flight. The system issued me an FFC
(new ones I presume) but when I try to use them in the app (both android and ios) to re-book the
same flight (fare drop scenario) it says, FFC can't be found.
Cancelling a flight without rebooking yields an old-style FFC, not a new-style FFC. It should still be attached to the original itinerary, and you use it as a flight change, not part of the new booking flow.

The FFC shows up in the website but won't apply for re-booking the same flight (call 1800 message).
1) Has united barred the cancel and re-book the same flight option ?
It wouldn't surprise me if they were trying to do that. Letting people adjust their fare without changing flights is exactly what UA was trying to avoid by creating this complicated system in the first place.

However, I don't see any way that they can realistically prevent it. You may just have to call to make the change, though. The online change tool is wonky on its best days.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... 1) Has united barred the cancel and re-book the same flight option ?
Never been possible online (at least since the merger, 10 years ago). Will have to call

Can change to a different flight and then change back, but easier to call.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 7:23 pm

Thanks jsloan & WineCountryUA

So, here is what they have done to disable fare drop re-bookings

If you go thru the Account -> My wallet -> FFC -> View details option, the app allows you to choose the
same flight you cancelled before *except* it is priced the same as before even though the fare is
lower when you go via Book a flight -> Search flights.

As you both mentioned, the old style FFCs only seem to work via View details and not by manually
inputting the confirmation number in the payment screen of search flights.

Looks like they are going to great lengths to prevent customers from taking advantage of fare drop.
I guess I could call and they may allow me to take advantage of the fare drop.
Not sure if it is worth for the $30 difference in my case.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Ah, that makes more sense. The return flight is likely refundable but the outbound flight, a P fare, is not, and the most restrictive rules apply.

FWIW, the first rule in that list does allow for residuals to be refunded, provided that you still meet the advance purchase requirement (and the fare type for your new ticket isn't EOU/ERU, which is basic economy, and therefore not an issue).

So, between the special rules that UA has put onto its site that specifically say you can keep a residual, and this fare rule that says you can keep a residual, I suspect that you will eventually be able to do so. Unfortunately, UA appears to be going out of their way to make that difficult -- likely because renegotiating the price of an existing trip is exactly what they were trying to avoid when they instituted the no-residuals rule in the first place).

That said, since the purchase was within the last 30 days, you can also try calling and asking for a reprice on that basis. Pre-COVID, UA used to do that as a regular thing, less a $50 administrative fee. I don't know whether or not they'd still try to charge the $50 in a no-change-fee world, but it's worth asking about.

Sorry about the hassle.
Thanks for the reply. Since I’m not a pro at reading fare rules, could you highlight the relevant rule that permits residual value for me and I’ll go argue it out with them? I also noted the same thing mentioned by lanb - a search for a new fare keeps returning the previous higher amount even though lower fares are available. They really don’t want price drop bookings indeed.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the reply. Since I’m not a pro at reading fare rules, could you highlight the relevant rule that permits residual value for me and I’ll go argue it out with them? I also noted the same thing mentioned by lanb - a search for a new fare keeps returning the previous higher amount even though lower fares are available. They really don’t want price drop bookings indeed.
It's the first of the options in the list:

(emphasis added)
Code:
APPLY AND
MET-
ERU ARE USED
WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN LOWER FARE REFUND RESIDUAL
ENDORSEMENTS.

I suspect that the agents aren't really experts at reading these rules either, but you can give it a try. I'd probably start with asking if they still offered the ability to get an adjustment when the fare drops within 30 days of purchase. That might be simpler.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 10:53 am

How "No Change Fees" Work in Practice?

I think I have this correct, but I have one lingering question. All scenarios below assume not a basic economy fare:

Change Before Departure of First Flight: The full value of the ticket may be applied to a new ticket - and the fare is based upon the seat and fare availability as of the date of the issuance of the new ticket with the revised itinerary.

Change After Completion of Outbound Flight Where Same Fare Class Available for Desired New Return Flight: Assuming new return date is consistent with the fare rules, this costs nothing.

Change After Completion of Outbound Flight Where Same Fare Class NOT Available for Desired New Return Flight: Passenger would pay fare difference for a higher fare class based on fares in effect at time of purchase of ticket that was flown for the outbound.

Assuming above is all correct, then this question: Passenger buys RT ticket but ticket is issued based on two one-ways rather than a round-trip fare. Do the above rules re the return flight of the roundtrip still apply?
Old Jun 8, 2021, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I think I have this correct, but I have one lingering question. All scenarios below assume not a basic economy fare:

Change Before Departure of First Flight: The full value of the ticket may be applied to a new ticket - and the fare is based upon the seat and fare availability as of the date of the issuance of the new ticket with the revised itinerary.

Change After Completion of Outbound Flight Where Same Fare Class Available for Desired New Return Flight: Assuming new return date is consistent with the fare rules, this costs nothing.

Change After Completion of Outbound Flight Where Same Fare Class NOT Available for Desired New Return Flight: Passenger would pay fare difference for a higher fare class based on fares in effect at time of purchase of ticket that was flown for the outbound.

Assuming above is all correct, then this question: Passenger buys RT ticket but ticket is issued based on two one-ways rather than a round-trip fare. Do the above rules re the return flight of the roundtrip still apply?
What you described is normally the case. However, any particular fare can have rules that differ slightly from this, so it's best to read them just in case.

For fares that work as you describe -- which, again, is the majority of them -- the last scenario is unchanged whether the fare is a round-trip fare or a one-way fare. (You would not be able to use one-way-only fares, but (a) those are relatively rare, and (b) you wouldn't normally want to, as they're generally much more expensive than half of a round-trip).
Old Jun 8, 2021, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
....Passenger buys RT ticket but ticket is issued based on two one-ways rather than a round-trip fare. Do the above rules re the return flight of the roundtrip still apply?
In general terms, most RTs are made up of 2 or more OWs. Being on a single ticket is what makes it a RT. And remember on a single ticket, the most restrictive fare rule applies to the entire ticket. Certain OWs are only available as a part of a RT.

However where OWs can be purchased independently, common for domestic trips, it is not unreasonable (especially with no change fees and you fly enough to use FFCs) to purchase separate ticket OWs vs RTs.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.