Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What do you think of the recent UA changes in Changes fees?
Good idea: No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual AND No Standby fee/Free SDC all elites
64.35%
Good idea: No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual but NOT No Standby fee/Free SDC all elite
10.87%
Good idea: No Standby fee/Free SDC all elite but NOT No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual
7.83%
Neutral /don’t care about either
13.04%
Don’t like / think either is a good idea
3.91%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 30, 2020, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Latest Update: 23 December 2021:

"Change fees are gone" (change fee waiver): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/notices.html#changefeesaregone
We've permanently gotten rid of change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. There also won't be change fees for other international travel originating in the U.S. Learn more

For all other standard Economy and premium cabin tickets, change fees are waived through January 31, 2022. Basic Economy tickets can only be changed if they’re issued by December 31, 2021, for travel commencing by December 31, 2021. See terms and conditions
(change fee waiver) Terms and Conditions: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/notices.html#ChangeFeeTerms

Tickets: Applies to standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and January 31, 2022, and Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021.

Changes/Cancellations: Customers with Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, or standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and January 31, 2022, will be permitted to change without paying a change fee. If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no change fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and standard fare tickets may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit. If you purchased your ticket from a third-party agency, please check with the issuing agency for the rules of your ticket. Contract fares such as special bulk fares sold by travel agencies (e.g., opaque) may not be eligible for free changes. Any changes or cancellations must occur prior to ticketed travel date.

Please note: As of August 30, 2020, we no longer have change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. We also no longer have change fees for international travel originating in the U.S. For more information visit united.com/changefee.

Fare validity: This applies to all standard fare tickets issued through January 31, 2022, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016. It also applies to Basic Economy fare tickets issued through April 30, 2021 or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points of sale, provided the ticket number starts with 016.

Miscellaneous: Fares, fees, rules and offers are subject to change without notice. Seats are capacity-controlled and may not be available on all flights or days. Some fares are nonrefundable except during the first 24 hours after purchase. Other restrictions may apply.

New fine print (1 April 2021)
  • You can change Basic Economy tickets without change fees if the ticket is issued by April 30, 2021,
  • and all other international travel without change fees if the ticket is issued by May 31, 2021.
  • If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit.
Updated 30 Sept 2021
Tickets: Applies to standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and December 31, 2021, and Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021.

Changes/Cancellations: Customers with Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, or standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and December 31, 2021, will be permitted to change without paying a change fee. If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no change fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and standard fare tickets may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit. If you purchased your ticket from a third-party agency, please check with the issuing agency for the rules of your ticket. Contract fares such as special bulk fares sold by travel agencies (e.g., opaque) may not be eligible for free changes. Any changes or cancellations must occur prior to ticketed travel date.

Please note: As of August 30, 2020, we no longer have change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. We also no longer have change fees for international travel originating in the U.S. For more information visit united.com/changefee.

Fare validity: This applies to all standard fare tickets issued through December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016. It also applies to Basic Economy fare tickets issued through April 30, 2021 or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points of sale, provided the ticket number starts with 016.

Miscellaneous: Fares, fees, rules and offers are subject to change without notice. Seats are capacity-controlled and may not be available on all flights or days. Some fares are nonrefundable except during the first 24 hours after purchase. Other restrictions may apply.

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
I just went through the process on a post-April 1st itinerary and was issued the new FFC vs ETCs. The agent tried to explain the new FFCs in detail:

The Bad:
1. No more ETC
2. No transferability
3. No combinability
4. Given there is no combinability, there is no more date-pushing (meaning new expiration date is most favorable of combined cert dates)

The Good:
5. Can use multiple towards a single itinerary (up to 10 she said)
6. Can pull from multiple accounts (3 from yours, 3 from spouse), so you don't have to split the locator to use from multiple accounts
7. Can be used on partner itineraries as long as one segment is UA
8. The FFCs show up in the account of the recipient and the booker. So I can see my spouse's FFCs if I booked the itenerary
9. FFCs now show up as a payment method in the app booking flow. For multi-passenger FFCs, both passengers show up!

I can live with all this, in exchange for no change fees, and reclaiming residual!
The fine-print on the change rules:
  1. If the new ticket costs less, the residual value from the old ticket is lost
  2. Multiple cancelled reservations cannot be combined to pay for a more expensive ticket
  3. Strictly U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean only (excludes Canada) and excludes Basic Economy and International flights
    1. Worldwide until Dec 31, 2020
United Airlines Permanently Eliminates Change Fees
Applies to all Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S.;
Airline also announces complimentary standby travel, becomes only U.S. airline that will let all customers in all classes of service fly same-day standby for free
With these new options, United gives more flexibility than any other U.S. carrier when customers' travel plans change
Video(1) Photos(1)

CHICAGO, Aug. 30, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The only thing constant is change and at United Airlines, some of the fees associated with changes related to flying are gone for good. The carrier announced today that it is permanently getting rid of change fees on all standard Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S., effective immediately. And starting on January 1, 2021, any United customer can fly standby for free on a flight departing the day of their travel regardless of the type of ticket or class of service, a first among U.S. carriers, while MileagePlus Premier members can confirm a seat on a different flight on the same day with the same departure and arrival cities as their original ticket if a seat in the same ticket fare class is available.

United is also extending its waiver for new tickets issued through December 31, 2020, to permit unlimited changes with no fee. This policy applies to all ticket types issued after March 3, 2020 and is valid for domestic and international travel. With these improvements, no U.S. airline gives their customers more flexibility when booking – and changing – their travel plans than United Airlines.

"Change is inevitable these days – but it's how we respond to it that matters most. When we hear from customers about where we can improve, getting rid of this fee is often the top request," said Scott Kirby, CEO of United Airlines, in a video message to customers. "Following previous tough times, airlines made difficult decisions to survive, sometimes at the expense of customer service. United Airlines won't be following that same playbook as we come out of this crisis. Instead, we're taking a completely different approach – and looking at new ways to serve our customers better."

The new change fee policy applies to all standard Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S. 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands and customers will not be limited in the number of times they adjust their flights.

Additionally, United is giving customers more flexibility to change their flights on the day of their travel so they can head home if a meeting ends earlier or enjoy a few more hours on vacation. With the ability to list for same-day standby for free, customers will now have an option to take a different flight with the same origin and destination airports as their original itinerary if space is available at departure. This enhanced option will be available to all customers for travel within the U.S. and to and from international destinations beginning on January 1, 2021. Customers who want to switch flights will be able to add themselves to the standby list through United's award-winning mobile app, on united.com or at the airport no later than 30 minutes prior to departure for domestic flights and one hour before departure on international flights.

The carrier is also improving the travel experience for its MileagePlus members including waiving all redeposit fees on award travel for flights changed or cancelled more than 30 days before departure and allowing all MileagePlus Premier members to confirm a different flight on the day of their travel. As a way to thank MileagePlus Premier members for their loyalty, beginning January 1, 2021, all Premier members will be able to confirm a seat for free on a different flight with the same departure and arrival cities as their original ticket. This expanded option will allow MileagePlus Silver members and above to confirm a new seat in the same ticket fare class if space is available. Earlier this year, United announced that it will extend status for MileagePlus Premier and Global Services members through January 2022. United also reduced thresholds for Premier qualification by 50 percent for each status level, to make reaching an even higher status tier easier.

For more information on United's new flexible travel policies, visit https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html.

Related Threads
AA Eliminates Many Change Fees, Other Benefits 31 Aug 2020
Delta to Eliminate Change Fees on Domestic Tickets [Consolidated Thread]
Alaska Eliminates Change Fees (9/1/2020)

UA will extend BE/International change fee waiver (In response to AA?)
Print Wikipost

Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2021, 4:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Departing from USA , there are no change fees for non-Basic Economy tickets..
You will be subject to fare difference.
If the new destination fare is less, you will get a residual Future Flight Credit
Old Jun 26, 2021, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
My concern is that there is a single Munich-Porto flight every day, and if it gets cancelled due to the new regs, Im not quite sure what happens?
If the airline cancels a flight, they will rebook you on a different routing to get you there (for free). If you don't like the routing they put you on automatically, you can call and request something else.

Or you can elect to get a full cash refund and either postpone your trip or make a new booking on another airline.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by threeoh
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
My concern is that there is a single Munich-Porto flight every day, and if it gets cancelled due to the new regs, Im not quite sure what happens?
If the airline cancels a flight, they will rebook you on a different routing to get you there (for free). If you don't like the routing they put you on automatically, you can call and request something else. ....
Not necessarily true if the flight is dropped from the schedule. The only obligation in USA regulations is a refund if unable to transport. If covered by EU regs, you have a bit more protection (but UA would not be involved)

In this case if LH cancels the route, UA will probably offer only a refund or possibly another UA-LH such as thru FRA (but that is not a certainty)
Old Jun 26, 2021, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not necessarily true if the flight is dropped from the schedule. The only obligation in USA regulations is a refund if unable to transport. If covered by EU regs, you have a bit more protection (but UA would not be involved)
Bad wording on my part. The airline will propose an alternate or refund you. If the alternate represents a major delay, you can request a refund instead. Or if you don't like the alternate, you can request a different alternate.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Change Fee on Lufthansa Flights Ticketed By United

Hi,
Does the no international flight change fee apply to Lufthansa flights that are ticketed on United? I am looking for DEN-MUC-BOM-MUC-DEN on Lufthansa metal via United website. It is a discounted business class ticket-just an FYI.
Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by denuaflier
Hi,
Does the no international flight change fee apply to Lufthansa flights that are ticketed on United? I am looking for DEN-MUC-BOM-MUC-DEN on Lufthansa metal via United website. .....
Yes
There are questions on how UA will handle it with LH but UA's commitment to the customer is clear
Old Jun 26, 2021, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Yes
There are questions on how UA will handle it with LH but UA's commitment to the customer is clear
Thank you so much.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes
While I agree with that, I would still be careful to document everything. (i.e., screenshots of the relevant UA statements during the purchase flow). The longer that UA keeps having policies that aren't encoded in the fare rules, the more likely it is to blow up in their face.

OP: Read the fare rules for the fare (which, I'd be willing to bet, is a UA fare, even though the flight is operated by LH). If any change fee is listed, or there are any restrictions imposed on changes, those are likely to be what the computer would try to enforce. You should be able to get a supervisor to override the computer if necessary, but it's difficult to guarantee that. In other words, you might have a hassle on your hands, although I suspect you'd eventually prevail.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
While I agree with that, I would still be careful to document everything. (i.e., screenshots of the relevant UA statements during the purchase flow). The longer that UA keeps having policies that aren't encoded in the fare rules, the more likely it is to blow up in their face.

OP: Read the fare rules for the fare (which, I'd be willing to bet, is a UA fare, even though the flight is operated by LH). If any change fee is listed, or there are any restrictions imposed on changes, those are likely to be what the computer would try to enforce. You should be able to get a supervisor to override the computer if necessary, but it's difficult to guarantee that. In other words, you might have a hassle on your hands, although I suspect you'd eventually prevail.
That is why I am concerned. Here is the fare rule: PNA46SNC. I cannot figure it out. Any help you can offer would be great. Thanks.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 9:37 am

I just don't see this being a problem. Sure, screenshot this if you want: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ChangeFeeTerms . Worst I can see happening is you either have to call to make the change without fee, or maybe in an extreme case you pay the change fee and request it to be refunded.

Lufthansa has a very similar waiver with almost identical verbiage https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/flexible-booking

This isn't some weird edge-case: there are hundreds of thousands of flights covered by this waiver and (to my knowledge) the airline is handling them properly.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 9:48 am

That is why I am concerned. ...
I don't believe there is any reason to be concerned, UA's statement about "No Change Fees" is quite clear on UA issued tickets and fine print does not restrict to UA only operated flights. There is no wriggle room. Just because we don't understand how UA deals with partners (for this or many other items) is a reason to suspect anything neafrious.

Here is the fare rule: PNA46SNC. ...
And if there was any doubt, the fare rules are clear (and can not be retroactively changed)

ORIGINATING UNITED STATES -
FOR TICKETING ON/AFTER 01APR21/FOR TRAVEL ON/AFTER
01APR21
IF TRAVEL COMMENCES ON/AFTER 01APR21.

CANCELLATIONS

TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
WHOLLY UNUSED US POO TRAVEL AGENCY ISSUED UA/016
TICKETS MAY BE MANUALLY REFUNDED LESS 400.00USD
CANCEL FEE.
---
CHARGE HIGHEST FEE OF ALL CANCELED FARE COMPONENTS
---
WAIVER CODE REQUIRED - OSI UA REFUNDWITHFEE.
TRAVEL AGENCY MUST PROCESS REFUND BY 31DEC21

CHANGES

CHANGES PERMITTED.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
--
CHANGE FREE OF CHARGE.
-
FOR TICKETS ISSUED IN THE PERIOD SPECIFIED ABOVE.
--
... covered by this waiver .....
This isn't a waiver, this is a policy change
threeoh likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 27, 2021 at 10:07 am Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Jun 27, 2021, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This isn't some weird edge-case: there are hundreds of thousands of flights covered by this waiver and (to my knowledge) the airline is handling them properly.
I have two concerns.

(1) Many UA fares, even pre-COVID, included the provision to ignore the residual value when changing flights. Rather than update those fares, UA appears to have constructed a new type of future flight credit that works outside of the fare rules. Thus, you're relying on their new system being defect-free (it's not) and/or supervisors being willing to override the computer.

(2) UA sells fares that it doesn't write; in those cases, they're basically acting as a travel agent. Therefore, they can't update those fare rules, and you're again relying on a supervisor to interpret the policy in your favor. (I wholeheartedly believe that the people who write UA's marketing text don't understand how their business works, and they don't know that UA sells other airlines' fares).

So far, we haven't had pushback, but the system is a house of cards, and I'm going to continue to recommend that people protect themselves. If UA's past history is any indication, someone will eventually have to file a DOT complaint to get this handled properly.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 10:27 am

I just don't see this being a problem. Sure, screenshot this if you want: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ChangeFeeTerms . Worst I can see happening is you either have to call to make the change without fee, or maybe in an extreme case you pay the change fee and request it to be refunded.

Lufthansa has a very similar waiver with almost identical verbiage https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/flexible-booking

Thanks.

I don't believe there is any reason to be concerned, UA's statement about "No Change Fees" is quite clear on UA issued tickets and fine print does not restrict to UA only operated flights. There is no wriggle room. Just because we don't understand how UA deals with partners (for this or many other items) is a reason to suspect anything neafrious.

And if there was any doubt, the fare rules are clear (and can not be retroactively changed)

This isn't a waiver, this is a policy change
Thank you WineCountryUA. I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger.

Originally Posted by jsloan
I have two concerns.

(1) Many UA fares, even pre-COVID, included the provision to ignore the residual value when changing flights. Rather than update those fares, UA appears to have constructed a new type of future flight credit that works outside of the fare rules. Thus, you're relying on their new system being defect-free (it's not) and/or supervisors being willing to override the computer.

(2) UA sells fares that it doesn't write; in those cases, they're basically acting as a travel agent. Therefore, they can't update those fare rules, and you're again relying on a supervisor to interpret the policy in your favor. (I wholeheartedly believe that the people who write UA's marketing text don't understand how their business works, and they don't know that UA sells other airlines' fares).

So far, we haven't had pushback, but the system is a house of cards, and I'm going to continue to recommend that people protect themselves. If UA's past history is any indication, someone will eventually have to file a DOT complaint to get this handled properly.
Yeah, I had more than my fare share of UA issues over the past 30 years for sure. Will go ahead and purchase the ticket though--price is too good to let it pass. If we don't end up flying due to COVID restrictions in India during December, hopefully we can use for some other detination.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 27, 2021 at 10:53 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:58 am

I booked a flight in March but the price went down by $200 today. I called to see what's my best option and they went ahead and gave me a travel credit. Is this the norm? I thought I would have to buy the new ticket and cancel the old one to get a travel credit for the full fare of my original ticket
Old Jun 29, 2021, 6:20 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
Originally Posted by ttb217
I booked a flight in March but the price went down by $200 today. I called to see what's my best option and they went ahead and gave me a travel credit. Is this the norm? I thought I would have to buy the new ticket and cancel the old one to get a travel credit for the full fare of my original ticket
Same thing happened to me. When I called they issued me a credit to my CC for the difference. It was painless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.