Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Looking back - UA's service to Hawaii in the 1970's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking back - UA's service to Hawaii in the 1970's

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
looks like they gave those "our little corner of the world" out to everyone on the flight.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

image source: http://www.amazon.com/SLICE-TIME-Haw.../dp/B073PCSCPX

David
Old Jul 18, 2020, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

For the CO side:

David
Old Jul 18, 2020, 6:19 pm

I've seen a few people doing a double take on my luggage tag (it's from the 90's though). I'll never make GS. Maybe I should have bartered it for one of the golden ones.

The publication date on this Air Atlas below is Feb 1967. No 747's anywhere. Anybody know what to do with it? I thought about tossing it in the recycle bin.

Last edited by Long Zhiren; Jul 18, 2020 at 6:34 pm
Old Jul 18, 2020, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
https://aviation.hawaii.gov/airfield...ort/hnl-1970s/
On July 1, 1969, five airlines were awarded new routes to Hawaii, and Northwest Airlines...
Wasn't it still Northwest Orient? I think I did ORD-ANC-HND-OKA-TSA on Northwest Orient in 1969. Quite a route.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
Wasn't it still Northwest Orient? I think I did ORD-ANC-HND-OKA-TSA on Northwest Orient in 1969. Quite a route.
They were always legally Northwest Airlines. They marketed themselves as Northwest Orient from the 1960s-1986 when they merged with RP.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The publication date on this Air Atlas below is Feb 1967. No 747's anywhere. Anybody know what to do with it? I thought about tossing it in the recycle bin.

A few options/suggestions:
  1. Take a few more detailed shots of the specific features of the map that interest you and post them to FT - and why you have the map still/now
  2. Plan a trip from it and document how what's on the map differs from what you find and post it here to FT
  3. Spend the effort to digitally re-create it and post it online such as what erussell1984/airbus777 did on Flickr (path: www.flickr.com/photos/erussell1984/26415986889) - by clicking in to the photo, you can see incredible amount of detail - his original posting of that map led to the genesis of what became this thread
  4. Offering it up for sale on eBay or similar website
  5. Donating it to a library such as the Transportation Library Collection at Northwestern or the National Air & Space Museum within the U.S. - or find another institution that would value it
  6. Offer it up as a drawing prize at a Do you attend or some other travel-related interesting/interested event
David
Old Jul 19, 2020, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Also found this thread that links UA, HI (HNL) and 747 service in the 70s:

Anyone here fly a United 747 to HNL in the 70s?

David
Old Jul 19, 2020, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
A few options/suggestions...David
Thanks for the ideas. I didn't see an exact fit. I'll ask around and maybe drop them off somewhere like in various hub lounges or something. "Free to anybody who cares." A lot of it comes from an FA who retired over a decade ago. Her career started in the 1960's and got around. Maybe I'll take the TWA stuff to St Louis. There's a lot of elite membership memorabilia in there from through the decades.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. I didn't see an exact fit. I'll ask around and maybe drop them off somewhere like in various hub lounges or something. "Free to anybody who cares." A lot of it comes from an FA who retired over a decade ago. Her career started in the 1960's and got around. Maybe I'll take the TWA stuff to St Louis. There's a lot of elite membership memorabilia in there from through the decades.
If it is the collection of long time FA, there's probably a whole bunch of stuff that FTers would love to see.

Additionally, if is as extensive as you indicate, Northwestern and/or NASM would probably both welcome the whole collection.

David
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
A station manager in Hawaii told me that United regularly flew 747s to the outer islands, but I'm not sure if they were referring to pre-merger United or Continental or if they were thinking of another large bird, like the DC 10.

Whether it.was UA or CO, what was the largest aircraft into each city served. I know 747s were definitely in HNL, but what about LIH, OGG, KOA, and ITO?
Old Jul 22, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
A station manager in Hawaii told me that United regularly flew 747s to the outer islands, but I'm not sure if they were referring to pre-merger United or Continental or if they were thinking of another large bird, like the DC 10.

Whether it.was UA or CO, what was the largest aircraft into each city served. I know 747s were definitely in HNL, but what about LIH, OGG, KOA, and ITO?
I can't speak to United service - but there has been passenger service by a 747 to ITO and KOA. LIH runway can't accommodate a 747 - and OGG has had a 747 land at the airport but the runway isn't long enough for a loaded plane with fuel.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Biggest plane I've ever seen at OGG was a Delta L-1011. It landed on Maui from mainland, made short hop to HNL w/ just the required fuel (due to weight limit relative to runway length), and then flew back to mainland. Passengers could embark/disembark at either OGG and HNL. Biggest UA planes I've seen at OGG have been Dreamliners, 772s and 764s (counting CO pre-merger). All could operate as far as mid-continent non-stop from OGG.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Biggest plane I've ever seen at OGG was a Delta L-1011.
5 years a ago, a charted 747 from Dubai with 30 people landed direct at OGG.

https://www.mauinews.com/news/local-...ds-at-kahului/
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Weatherboy

In the late 80s, UA flew 747s only to HNL; DC-10s to HNL and Maui; DC-8s to the rest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.