Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Looking back - UA's service to Hawaii in the 1970's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking back - UA's service to Hawaii in the 1970's

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE I see in the clip that the dc8's loaded passengers from the front and back.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
1970 Marketing Slogan

"Our Little Corner of the World".

UA undoubtedly has a far reduced market share of Hawaii traffic since then.

And Hawaii likely constitutes a much smaller portion of overall UA revenue.
IAH-OIL-TRASH likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer

UA undoubtedly has a far reduced market share of Hawaii traffic since then.

And Hawaii likely constitutes a much smaller portion of overall UA revenue.
I don't know the market share in 1970 - or how much Hawaii contributed to UA revenue in 1970, but pre-Covid - UA was the dominant Hawaii-Mainland carrier in the market. Despite Southwest's entry, I saw no indication UA would make a retreat the planes seemed 100% packed - its been years since I've seen a HNL-SFO not 100% full.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I don't know the market share in 1970 - or how much Hawaii contributed to UA revenue in 1970, but pre-Covid - UA was the dominant Hawaii-Mainland carrier in the market. Despite Southwest's entry, I saw no indication UA would make a retreat the planes seemed 100% packed - its been years since I've seen a HNL-SFO not 100% full.
Pre-deregulation, UA was a domestic carrier. International markets were served by Northwest, TWA and Pan Am. I assume Hawaiian market constitute a larger percentage of revenue to UA as a result. BTW, none of those international carriers are around now.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I was a Reservation Sales Representative at SFORR shortly after UA bought the PA Pacific routes. (I was disappointed PA dropped NRT-MNL service shortly before that.)

At the time, Hawaii was still a very important part of UA marketing.

As a Nonrev, I used to fly out to Hawaii for the day (in F), taking The Bus to the beach. I would bring law books to study. Because of my low seniority, I went via LAX, and took a red-eye home, HNL-SFO.

For weekends in L.A. or SoCal, I would take the 18:30 "Nonrev Express", SFO-LAX. It went from the SFO to LAX International Terminals, continuing to SYD, so no local tickets were sold.
EWR764, artvandalay and ajGoes like this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Cornering that part of the world...

From nwcartographic.

David
Old Jul 7, 2020, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I remember going to BUF in the mid-70s, and my great grandmother was going to Hawaii. She took an American DC10. Back in those days, they let our whole family onboard prior to departure to see the plane, and wish her a great trip. I remember it like it was yesterday.

I don't remember the itinerary, but I believe she had a stop. But I could be wrong. How times have changed. I have a picture of this somewhere, with my parents, my grandparents, all on the DC10, and then leaving her and watching her takeoff from BUF.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 11:31 pm

Spoiler

My 1970's flights to Hawaii were all on Western Airlines RIP Boeing 720's. My first UA flight HNL-SFO was in 1980. Getting to HNL was on SQ SFO-HNL-HKG-TPE.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
In the 70s, I believe UA carried about 50% of the West Coast-Hawaii traffic and 90% of East Coast-Hawaii.
SPN Lifer and ajGoes like this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by EWR764
In the 70s, I believe UA carried about 50% of the West Coast-Hawaii traffic and 90% of East Coast-Hawaii.
You're probably right. Still, 50% meant they were king. The rest of the market was divided among Western, NW, Pan Am and TWA (others?), but UA wanted to be known as "Hawaii's airline." And this was before there were nonstops to other Hawaiian destinations (except Hilo.) De-regulation changed all that.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by artvandalay
You're probably right. Still, 50% meant they were king. The rest of the market was divided among Western, NW, Pan Am and TWA (others?), but UA wanted to be known as "Hawaii's airline." And this was before there were nonstops to other Hawaiian destinations (except Hilo.) De-regulation changed all that.
https://aviation.hawaii.gov/airfield...ort/hnl-1970s/

On July 1, 1969, five airlines were awarded new routes to Hawaii, and Northwest Airlines, Pan American World Airways and United Airlines were awarded additional routes. The new carriers, as announced by the White House, were American Airlines, Braniff, Continental, Trans World Airlines and Western Airlines. With the exception of TWA, the new carriers were also awarded routes into Hilo.

Pan American initiated 747 service into Honolulu on March 3, 1970 with one daily 747 flight, and within a month expanded the schedule to two.

On a side note - Hawaiian started mainland service in 1985 and Aloha in 2000
SPN Lifer and artvandalay like this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
United never flew nonstop CLE-HNL except a few charters. Here are United HNL service April 1979 nonstop routes..

ORD, LAX,SFO

DC8-stretch

PDX
SJC
OAK
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
United never flew nonstop CLE-HNL except a few charters. Here are United HNL service April 1979 nonstop routes..

ORD, LAX,SFO

DC8-stretch

PDX
SJC
OAK
They also ran a more recent nonstop from EWR a couple days a week (not sure if this discussion is limited to the 70's sorry), I think it was on Sunday and Monday (probably a turn around). It was said to be the longest domestic US flight. Having flown to Hawaii hundreds of times over the years on UA for work (and play) there indeed was never a CLE-HNL flight although I would have loved it as I was living in Cleveland back in the day. I usually connected through ORD or SFO.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by nomad420; Jul 8, 2020 at 3:09 pm
Old Jul 9, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
They also ran a more recent nonstop from EWR a couple days a week (not sure if this discussion is limited to the 70's sorry), I think it was on Sunday and Monday (probably a turn around). It was said to be the longest domestic US flight. Having flown to Hawaii hundreds of times over the years on UA for work (and play) there indeed was never a CLE-HNL flight although I would have loved it as I was living in Cleveland back in the day. I usually connected through ORD or SFO.
back then, did airlines have to file with .gov for route authority between city pairs? were city pair routes protected by .gov? could have been that united had authority for cle-hnl but never used it. things were different back then before de-regulation which I think happened under carter.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
Spoiler

My 1970's flights to Hawaii were all on Western Airlines RIP Boeing 720's. My first UA flight HNL-SFO was in 1980. Getting to HNL was on SQ SFO-HNL-HKG-TPE.
I took that SQ flight SFO-HNL-HKG in the early 80s, too! I remember the FAs walking to the gate in SFO always caused quite a stir, they were so immaculately attired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.